food Sandwich of the Month

Frydad's Croqueta Preparada y Cuba Libre!!

This is a variation on a Cuban sandwich that you'll find in diners all around Miami.
Basically, it's a cuban sandwich with 4 smashed ham croquetas on it.

Also, served with a Cuba Libre, which is a rum and coke with a wedge of lime. I've had many today, thankfully.

I slow roasted a cuban picnic shoulder, marinated in homemade fatali mojo for 24 hours. The roast was for 9 hours at 250, American.
Mojo ingredients: 5 squeezed bitter oranges, 10 garlic cloves, 1 lime juiced, salt, pepper, water, dried oregano, 1 fatali
Cook, let chill overnight.
The next day, reheat in the oven at 250, then shred/chop it all into chunks and pieces. Sample as you go.

Went to a Cuban grocery, just down the street, and picked up some still-warm cuban bread, and 5 ham croquetas.
Ate one croqueta on the way home.

Also in the game is thinly sliced premium ham (the way most places actually do it) and swiss cheese.
And I like to mix dill relish and yellow mustard with a touch of cayenne powder. Kind of my own spin on mustard and pickles.

Toasted on the griddle with the cast iron press on top. I used to use a foil-wrapped brick, but I think my wife threw that away when we got the press.

Great thread, TB. This was fun. Croqueta Preparada...

Here's the pork. The crunchy bits were awesome, and the meat was nice and juicy tender.
IMGP2662.jpg

This bread is made with lard (see the ingredients on the bag) so you know its good. Note the croquetas.
IMGP2664.jpg

Assembly...
IMGP2665.jpg

IMGP2666.jpg

Gettin' my press-on
IMGP2668.jpg

Finished.
IMGP2671.jpg

IMGP2673.jpg

IMGP2672.jpg

IMGP2670.jpg

Domino, Mothafucka!!!!!!!

FD

FD not bad but what's the the sprinkling of pork down the center? You need to about double that.

Couldn't go too strong because of the croquetas. It was just right. There's a lot of meat in that sandwich.

And I was eating the pork while I was using it. It was so damn tasty. Good stuff. You would have liked it.

FD just threw down the gauntlet ... maybe I'll riff on his variant theme and put forth a media noche ...

hey FD - you've got a follower on Twitter ... it's my fav service! ...

Couldn't go too strong because of the croquetas. It was just right. There's a lot of meat in that sandwich.

And I was eating the pork while I was using it. It was so damn tasty. Good stuff. You would have liked it.

Ok I'll assume some moved out the the sides when pressing. :)

Bread looks pressed just right, a little thin but perfect toasting. Nice one.

Nice Croqueta Preparada, FD. And the spin with the relish is interesting. Seems like it would add a sweet flavor to the sandwich. I like the stripe of brinyness that thin sliced pickles gives the sandwich when they're laid down the center though. Still, an excellent job. I can tell that bread pressed down so thin because it was extra fresh.

What happened to Scovie and CJ? Did they get too monkeyed up on the mixed drinks last night with Sicman?

100% Authentic North West Pack Cubano Sandwiches

Too much fun last night with the little NWP get together.
I don't have the energy for too much words, the pictures will do the talking...
I will say this, Pork Butt Roast marinated over night in Fresh Orange, Lemon, and Lime Juice, minced Garlic, Oregano, S & P, EVOO, and Onion
Then C-Rock-Potted for 8 hours on low low low.
Pure Evil Mustard and two drops on the tongue simultaneously with FD via FaceTime. (Mine was dropped on my tongue by SalsaLady herself, neener neener neener)

Kick it...

de11bce2.jpg

1b6c852a.jpg

My Guayabera... get one.
a4b6e786.jpg

Some pre-Sandwich drinks and entertainment, I think SL was thinking about Boss when she came up with this...
f4960aca.jpg

Back to Sammiches...
Pork.
9c686ac9.jpg

Scheeze.
9cdd94f8.jpg

Ham. More Pork.
bb5839e7.jpg

More Scheeze and Pickled Pickles
645fe59d.jpg

Things are getting HOT!!!
dc0e4c17.jpg

626e8548.jpg

More to come...

Fitty bustin' out Miami style.

Croquetas kick it harder than Crockett and Tubbs at a South Beach Disco drug bust.

Nuthin' but CASH MONEY on that sammich.

SoFlo representin' like a mutha'!

Ohhhhh Scovie you've done the pernil just right for me, the chunks/slices and not shredded! Juicy too!

Ciabatta is too dense for a Cuban but I know you prob. can't get the right bread. Looking forward to this one. Egg titties!

Yeah Boss, I was talking about our options with FD, and Ciabatta's what we came up with.
I guess if it were truly NW style, the bread would have 38 nuts and grains in it... plah!

That meat was perfect, and we'll be making it again. CJ found the recipe at a place in Miami called '3 Guys'. (FD has their cookbook too).

So, my press was a CI Fajita pan and the HERSE.
5bccbbfb.jpg

68560df8.jpg

This is what it was....
69c9a324.jpg

This is how I remember it...
f9d57f25.jpg

984a029c.jpg

5a781ab5.jpg

We were visited by TB's Fail Ferries...
0c336c29.jpg

ef931451.jpg

This was a TON of fun, and I am loving this thread. Way to go yet again TB.

Damn fine SD, I want a Cuban so bad now ... still have to do 8 kitchens before I can get up from my desk, though ... FFUUU ...

At least Danielle is keeping me dehydrated \M/

1:30 pm ...

0c82a86f.jpg

5:30 pm ... w/ a cherry surprise at the end this time =)

fa539fe7.jpg

PNW goin' on the attack!

I'm flattered you copied the CI FAIL.

Ciabatta schmeebata. That 'thang's got the mojo workin'!

All great sammich's in this thread but Fitty and PNW beez smokin' every body.

A dang shame that NYC is a no show.

C'mon Dan, get to representin'!

Lookin' good Scovie. Doesn't look anything like a Cuban, but all those flavors are spot on. Ciabatta was a good call. Too bad Cuban bread only lasts for about a day before it turns into a giant crouton, or I'd consider sending you some.

hahahah what do you call it THEN Sum? a Croubon? Cuton?
Yeah, we really did a lot of non-research Googling up different shops in Miami to get as authentic flavor as we could,
and because we knew it had to be a certain way. Not like in the South with the Po-Boys, where anythang-n-everythang go on them.
Damm good samwich.

LOL TB, yeah the last Sammy we did, I think the HEARSE cooled down too much,
and the Fail Fairies let us know they are equal opportunity Fail-ers. :rofl:

Nice to see drinks in your house actually get drunked GM, hahahah and how many kitchens do you need?
Poor Danielle will be on her hands and knees cleaning for life!
You should get her what we use everyday for Tile setting...
(I won't tell you what my buddy calls it because I'm sober right now)

racatac01rac3cslightenpic_10226131.jpg

Nice to see drinks in your house actually get drunked GM, hahahah and how many kitchens do you need?
Poor Danielle will be on her hands and knees cleaning for life!
You should get her what we use everyday for Tile setting...
(I won't tell you what my buddy calls it because I'm sober right now)
racatac01rac3cslightenpic_10226131.jpg

I thought you were going to say knee-pads, then the picture came through ... haha ...

As for the kitchens, I do cad/cam programming for a stone manufacturer by day ... and web programming by night ... and grow some hot pods in between =)

Scovie, our family is going to live with you guys on a compound somewhere, ok?
And we'll just cook, drink, and worship the pepper god together, no homo.

Btw sum, you're invited, and the relish I used was dill, so I didn't alter any flavors.
I
I'm funna edit that into my post (post...wankey wankey)

Awesome Cubans by FD4 and the PNW!!!

There hasn't been one sammie it wouldn't inhale.

It seems like everyone has a twist on the basic design, but I'd imagine they all taste similar.

It's kinda like a hot ham and cheese with pulled pork?

I'm making this sandwich everytime I make pulled pork.

Awesome Cubans by FD4 and the PNW!!!

There hasn't been one sammie it wouldn't inhale.

It seems like everyone has a twist on the basic design, but I'd imagine they all taste similar.

It's kinda like a hot ham and cheese with pulled pork?

I'm making this sandwich everytime I make pulled pork.

I don't think any Cuban I've had has pulled pork, usually it's sliced pernil, not shredded. Now, usually it's so tender the slices break into chunks. Maybe that's NY Cubans but I do like it this way. I don't want it shredded like BBQ pulled pork.

Sum's and yours were shredded, FD's was chopped, sort of an in between, and Scovie had the closest to the way I like.

Also DTS yours looked like BBQ? Or simmered in sauce? I'll have to look.

Back