food Sandwich of the Month

Time for the rocketMan twist on the Cuban Sandwich which I'll call La Calabaza Cubana or The Cuban Pumpkin. I made my own Cuban Bread and then after found out my wife or maybe my Organic daughter had switched White Wheat flour for my bread flour. Fail, but I made it so I'm going to use it

I'm going to start off using some of my left over Bourbon Apple Butter Smoked Pork Loin
100_3909.jpg

Followed by homemade Pumpkin Fatalii Chutney
100_3911.jpg

Now for some nice Brown Sugar Cured Ham
100_3912.jpg

and lastly some Smoked Sharp Cheader
100_3913.jpg

time for a little CI press
100_3914.jpg

And serve
100_3916.jpg

Man, this was a great combination of flavors. The smokiness of the Pork Loin and Sharp Cheader with the sweet tangy of the Chutney was really awesome.

The Bread was a fail in the making but worked out with a crisp crust and soft inside.

Great idea here TB. Now what's next?

Went back and patched the holes in the beef sammy from the other night's DC post and since there's no OH tonight, I just thought I'd share the revision because it was pretty rockin' and I need to make up for that lame-ass turkey on rye I posted the other night while under the influence ...

Got the shrooms in there this time, and mixed the cheese in the pot ...

Pasteurized top sirloin w/ ghost pepper seasoning via sous vide at 131F for 3 hrs ...

c25adff2.jpg

Mini-bells, sliced shrooms, chopped onion, a green finger hot pepper, and a little olive oil ...

bda6c2d1.jpg

Stir in the beef slices and some of that white american faux cheese (might use provolone and some Worcestershire next time, but wasn't up for making a roux tonight) ...

7e12d2f4.jpg

And serve it on the sickest buns (practically loaves themselves) ...

b4b2f47f.jpg

Damn good ... so full now.

Very nice looking sammy :) Is that the powder I sent you?

RM I don't see the bread as a fail at all and it looks good to me.

The chutney/cheddar combo sounds great but I would have put the chutney directly on the bread.

Your take on the Cuban is totally chingon!

As far as next months sammich, someone mentioned a Philly but its still up in the air yet.

I'm lovin' all the use of the cast iron in this thread too!

Yup! ... quickly becoming somewhat of a default around here ...

Please post where it's available for purchase.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30952-jcr-smoked-pepper-goodness/

for all the good publicity you've provided, I'll send you another baggie free if you like? Just PM me your address :)

Thank you sir, your too kind.

There's nothing like a good Cheese Steak and I love a good Reuben. Can't wait to see what everyone can come up with on that one.

RM I don't see the bread as a fail at all and it looks good to me.

The chutney/cheddar combo sounds great but I would have put the chutney directly on the bread.

Your take on the Cuban is totally chingon!

As far as next months sammich, someone mentioned a Philly but its still up in the air yet.

I'm lovin' all the use of the cast iron in this thread too!

Some might consider this heresy, but I've had a philly cheesesteak from one of the three restaurants in philly that you are supposed to get them from... Even had to learn the proper ordering terminology.

Frankly, I've had them here in florida that tasted a lot better. Maybe they were having an off day, but it was dry, and light on the cheese wiz.

There is a place around the corner from me that has a "florida cheese steak" its like a philly, and prepared a similar way comes with onions, mushrooms etc, and a significant amount of mozzarella/pepperjack.
Moist, and delicious.

Well, I think I know what I'm having for lunch.

OH before I forget, I have had a salami cuban.,.. its a 7/11 thing down closer to tampa. Its passable.

Some might consider this heresy, but I've had a philly cheesesteak from one of the three restaurants in philly that you are supposed to get them from... Even had to learn the proper ordering terminology.

Frankly, I've had them here in florida that tasted a lot better. Maybe they were having an off day, but it was dry, and light on the cheese wiz.

There is a place around the corner from me that has a "florida cheese steak" its like a philly, and prepared a similar way comes with onions, mushrooms etc, and a significant amount of mozzarella/pepperjack.
Moist, and delicious.

Well, I think I know what I'm having for lunch.

OH before I forget, I have had a salami cuban.,.. its a 7/11 thing down closer to tampa. Its passable.

I'm guessing you hit up Pat's or a similar joint that uses the whiz.

Wit' or wit'out?

Ahhhhh...the salami cuban rears its ugly head!

Pats or maybe Ginos?

With wiz =s

*chuckle*

well ugly might be a stretch, but not as good as a cuban, made by a cuban. Though there are times when this is even true at a 7/11.

Was that beef sammy supposed to be in TDC?

Ain't no Cuban!

well ugly might be a stretch, but not as good as a cuban, made by a cuban. Though there are times when this is even true at a 7/11.

Since I'm comfortable w/ my taste preferences I'm going to proclaim that I actually like the Cuban sandwiches from 7-11 ... there, I said it.

You have to slum a little to best appreciate the foodie moments.

/ducks
gm

Was that beef sammy supposed to be in TDC?

Ain't no Cuban!

Likely a misinterpretation from the original post which stated:

"While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc."

I worked 6-11pm at this place directly adjacent to a 7/11 all throughout college. The 7/11 cuban(cubanesque?) was a staple for a while lol.

Four freestyled Cubans that I'd love to see: (I think I might do the first today)

Cuban BLT'd (bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo)
Angry Cuban (toss on some pickled jalapeno slices)
Cuban Animal Style (diced onions sauteed,mixed with some extra cheese, fine diced pickles, and a simple Thousand Island style dressing.)
Reubened Cuban (add some slabs of corned beef, a shmear of Thousand Island, and maybe topped with some sauerkraut)

Those all sound awesome to me.

I'd like to see a Cuban Club, on Texas toast to take the pressing... 3 layers like a club, toasted with butter and garlic... pre-toast the 3 slices but not browned, just like good buttery Texas toast, with melted Swiss... assemble the sammy... pernil on bottom layer, ham on the top layer, more Swiss on both, mustard, pickles on both, and then some club ingredients... bacon on the bottom... vine ripe tomatoes on the top... and press until golden brown.

Sum ~ you had me at Animal Style. That's the only way to roll on an In-N-Out cheeseburger. Sounds great on a Cubano too!

THP ~ the Cuban Club sounds awesome! Get down on it and post it up pronto!

Here's some more:

Cuban South by Southwest (just add some chipotles and adobo)
Cuban Baja'd (throw on some spicey Pico de Gallo)

Damn, we are writting a possibly successful food truck menu.

Sloppy Castro

Picadillo-topped Cuban

sloppy castro???????????

i dont care ,my wife might not like it but tonight im going to turn that into a sex move :P

Back