food Sandwich of the Month

I bought a jar of Wickles okra when we were in Sarasota....and fell in looooove with 'em!!!!

So, last night, at some point, I created a mango chutney. Again, something I've never tasted, so I don't know what the goal was.
But I recall it being pretty tasty! I imagine at some point it will get acquainted with the smoked pork butt between some bread.

If it's a happy union, I'll post pics! :)

I like every product Wickles makes ... the hot red relish-like stuff on Nathan's dogs are a personal favorite ...

I'mdrunked. So anyhoo... another Cuban.

Ingreds. Goin with Jarlsberg instead of Swiss. Much better flavour pairing.

P7241007.jpg

Microplaned garlic, chili and orange zest and some dried oregano. Mixed with olive oil and vinegar binder.
P7241008.jpg

P7241009.jpg

Made some slits and stuffed it in

P7241010.jpg

Lightly cooked in butter then deglazed with the juice of an orange and 1/4 C water. Slow cooked for 4 hours at 300 F / 150 C

P7241011.jpg

The build. Sliced pernil on American mustard.

P7241012.jpg

Toppings.

P7241014.jpg

And the money.
P7241015.jpg

DTS - Nailed It!!!! That looks pretty perfect to me!!!!!

I gotta try that rub you made - why do oranges and pork go together so well? Did it taste as exquisite as it looked?!?!
How about the Jarlsberg? Good replacement for the Swiss???? Great melty factor! :)

I gotta try that rub you made - why do oranges and pork go together so well? Did it taste as exquisite as it looked?!?!
How about the Jarlsberg? Good replacement for the Swiss???? Great melty factor! :)

I don't know, but ... my fav treatment for pork tenderloin began as my london broil marinade ... soy sauce, a ton of fresh minced ginger, orange juice, sherry cooking wine, and a healthy dose of fresh pressed garlic ... so simple, so good!

DTS didn't just nail it.

He nailed it shut!

The final pic with the scheeze just starting to ooze out and drip over the ham and pork is money!

Way to go Aussie style.

DTS... I LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEE that one so much! DAYUM! The perfect blend of uniue flavors and authenticity keeping it a CUBAN!

WOW!

"Sliced but falls apart" like I like too! Bonus!

heh, heh, heh....

I just freestyled a cubano behind Scovie's back! hahahaha

Pics manana, but it's the rest of the smoked pork bootay, on top of pickled peno rings. Then munster slices, proper sliced pickles, piles of BF ham...all pressed between layers of a Rosemary/Olive Oil loaf of goodness. I meant to put a layer of red onion, but forgot....I only had the time it took him to shower to create this mistresspiece! :) Oh and there's mustard and (gasp!) mayo. Won't be able to grill it for lunch tomorrow, but I think the pressing will be just A-Okay! For a jobsite lunch anyhoo! ;)

I've not met Bren, but we've followed one another on Twitter/FB on and off for 3-4 years now. She's a class act, a Kosher Cuban, and someone whom I admire ...

Here's her take on the Cuban, just thought I would share after a couple of messages we exchanged on FB the other day ...

http://www.flanboyan...-amazing-knife/

Hmmm French bread, meat looks dry, ham is not layered well, cheese did not melt, panini press FAIL!

THPers make um MUCH better!

I'm not going to judge the sandwich of a person who doesn't even taste it - I shared the article for her take on the history of the sandwich originating in Cuba and re: salami =)

Tough crowd. Haha ...

Heads up y'all.

A while back Sum called the ball on the August SOTM.

CHEESESTEAK.

Still a few days left to post more Cuban's or any other dang sammich. (save your philly's for next month)

Heads up y'all.

A while back Sum called the ball on the August SOTM.

CHEESESTEAK.

Still a few days left to post more Cuban's or any other dang sammich. (save your philly's for next month)

I guess I'll make a couple of tweaks and take another stab at this one ... it was tasty as hell, but I can't enter officially using white american (even if Wikipedia allows it) ...

Back