food Sandwich of the Month

I guess I'll make a couple of tweaks and take another stab at this one ... it was tasty as hell, but I can't enter officially using white american (even if Wikipedia allows it) ...

GM,

Notice I didn't go with "Philly Cheesesteak" but rather just Cheesesteak.

That opens it up to a looser interpretation.

Wiz, american, provolone, swiss, cheddar, etc.

Its all cool and the gang.

GM,

Notice I didn't go with "Philly Cheesesteak" but rather just Cheesesteak.

That opens it up to a looser interpretation.

Wiz, american, provolone, swiss, cheddar, etc.

Its all cool and the gang.

totally ... I'm not using white american in my entry ... or ever again for another decade for that matter ... that stuff is nazty when it starts to cool off ...

Woohoo!!! Can't wait to nosh on a Philly Cheesesteak! ... Well as close as Aussie ingredients let me.

Any tips on the beef? I've got two methods here. Which one is most authentic

1: Chuck steak, sliced thin and cooked low' n' slow in beef stock

2: Primo cut of :insert fav. expensive beef cut here: cooked hot 'n' fast to rare then rested n sliced thin

Well DTS, I've only been to one true Philly Cheesesteak joint (it was excellent!!) and all I know is this.....

There is nooooooo way they were cooking up any swanky cuts o' beef! Both of your methods will work, IMO,
but there's just something so alluring about taking an inexpensive cut and morphing it into something sublime! :)

178985_10150918544513509_150042042_n.jpg

Pulled/Chopped smoked pork butt with a homemade Thai slaw and plenty of my pepper powders in the rub and slaw.

389727_10150910799293509_410865150_n.jpg

Drunken Tri-Thai Sausage & Peppers with DFH 90 Min IPA, and a little something else to wash it down.​

CJ & DTS

I believe that the most famous cheesesteak joints in Philly, Geno's, Pat's, and Tony Luke's, all use ribeye. They differ in that some of them slap it on the flat grill sliced super thin and leave it like that, and others chop it up once it hits the grill.

JHP ~ oh hell ya'!!! I would so rock that first pic with the red cabbage slaw!!!

CJ & DTS

I believe that the most famous cheesesteak joints in Philly, Geno's, Pat's, and Tony Luke's, all use ribeye. They differ in that some of them slap it on the flat grill sliced super thin and leave it like that, and others chop it up once it hits the grill.
The all use thin sliced rib-eye, that is the true Philly steak. A few shops I worked at when I was young also used thin sliced rib-eye, if you want gourmet, find a place that uses dry aged rib-eye!

The all use thin sliced rib-eye, that is the true Philly steak. A few shops I worked at when I was young also used thin sliced rib-eye, if you want gourmet, find a place that uses dry aged rib-eye!

JHP - ruining how I was going to kick mine up this time =)

178985_10150918544513509_150042042_n.jpg

Pulled/Chopped smoked pork butt with a homemade Thai slaw and plenty of my pepper powders in the rub and slaw.

389727_10150910799293509_410865150_n.jpg

Drunken Tri-Thai Sausage & Peppers with DFH 90 Min IPA, and a little something else to wash it down.​

You are def in the game, sir ...

TB - this thread competing w/ DC makes me feel schitzo ...

Arguably, yes. Flavor wise, not arguable... you were spot on with the ingriedients in that Cuban sammie TB, but I've only seen them with pulled pork down here in Miami... and Cuban bread (but you're right, simple French bread is VERY similar to Cuban bread.) And your press technique is exactly what I do.

Get your Mix 98.3 on and make a Cuban sandwich, ya'll.

I guess this is why the Tampa area has way better Cubans than Miami :twisted: . The Cuban bread here is not really like French bread. Yep Tampa wins!!!
:shocked: :lol: :cheers:

Side note for those who don't know...there is a great debate between Miami and Tampa as to which area has the best Cubans...Obviously Tampa does, so this post was just in jest to help stir the debate.

I guess this is why the Tampa area has way better Cubans than Miami :twisted: . The Cuban bread here is not really like French bread. Yep Tampa wins!!!

Side note for those who don't know...there is a great debate between Miami and Tampa as to which area has the best Cubans...Obviously Tampa does, so this post was just in jest to help stir the debate.

New guy with 4 posts calls out Sum and SoFlo.

AWESOME!!!

I would just like to second the fact that Tampa Bay area has the best cubans! First Choice in Safety Harbor. Best cubans around!!

Clearly these people are confussed. They obviously have not had a true Cuban sandwich. There is a reason why most Cubans choose to live in Miami... because of the better sandwiches.

But if you really want to show me up... less talky talky and more makey makey.

Clearly these people are confussed. They obviously have not had a true Cuban sandwich. There is a reason why most Cubans choose to live in Miami... because of the better sandwiches.

But if you really want to show me up... less talky talky and more makey makey.

Indeed.

As noted in the initial thread starting post, talk is cheap.

Show us the money.

And we DO like smack talk.

So new guys, get to posting pics of your Cubans!

Tampa makes a fine Cuban. It's the official Sammy of the area.
Y'all even have strict rules regarding the number of pickles and such.

Our Cuban bread isn't much like French bread, with regards to flavor or texture.
Our Cuban bread is probably exactly like tampas. Water, flour, yeast, lard, salt.
Made by a Cuban.

The problem is, outside of Miami and Tampa, Cuban bread is hard to come by....at which point French bread is probably the next best thing. It's closer than whole wheat sandwich slices, that's for sure.

Now phr and the jeff, I can see that you don't post here much, and I welcome you and your banter.
Check mine and sums Cubans on this thread (both on cuban bread, keep in mind mine is a croqueta preparada), and then make us a "much better" Tampa one. Show us whatcha got.

Hah whoa.. I walked into a gun fight with a knife. Clearly I was not prepared. I just randomly stumbled upon the guy saying Tampa has better cubans, and just saw an oppurtunity in general to represent my hood. Tampa has great cubans, however Tampa and Miami has greater cubans than that of myself could construct.

I eat a lot of cubans but have never made one in my life so I can't say anything on the cubans you make personally people, let me get that straight.

Frydad I saw yours and that creation looks very satisfying to the drunken eye! Good lort gimme dat!

Dude go back through the threads and check out the recipes and construction processes.

YOU too can make and post a first class Cuban.

Its easier than you might think.

The more folks that jump in here the more fun we have.

I leave on vacation tomorrow for a week, but if this could maybe extend and become the sandwich of the summer, I will come back and have at it. Besides I have been looking way too long at these to not make one of my own now.

Jeff the SOTM for this month is a Cuban but thats a general guideline.

Next month it will be cheesesteak but you can post a Cuban or any other sandwich at anytime.

Have a great vaycay man and we look forward to your sammich posting.

Back