food Sandwich of the Month

I've decided that unless TB posts an exhaustive description of just how he defines "PoBoy" with all it's nuances, I'll wait until another time.... ;)

Po boys sound great, never made or had them, but seen them on several tv shows, Swamp people, man vs food, and can't wait to try to make and taste one

Almost all cheesed out this month, several cheesesteaks and multiple margherita pizzas, I feel like a big slab of Gouda

Po'boy is easy y'all.

I would like it to focus on NOLA style exclusively and factor out subs, grinders, hoagies and the like which are regionally different.

Even a Vietnamese Bahn Mi style according to wiki is legit.

While I'm not all that keen on wiki, I'd roll with that as I have also heard of the Vietnamese influence in NOLA.

Here ya' go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po'_boy

Check out the link and after that axe yourself a question.

Can you dig it?

We all (most) know exactly what a po' boy is, this is one of those times you don't look at wiki or listen to anyone saying it's just another name for the same hero or sub. Nope. It's a po' boy. Get down with the fried seafood or roast beef and gravy, crusty soft-center French bread, "dressed" BOLD!

It ain't no sprouts and 500 calories or less $5 footlong..

Howz THAT for exhaustive and nuanciness? ;)

Mmmmm there is copious amounts of French bread and fried shimp and/or mudbugs in our future!!!!!!

Dressed.

BOLD.

I like to be liking fried catfish and "dressed" always has pickles, you need the tang to break up the breadiness of the breading on bread.

Okay TB I'll enter.

Oh and TB. I lied.

I was wondering about all that breading on bread.....!

Pickles makes sense - and I'm guessing there's a specific kind of pickle traditionally used???

Well it's not a batter like fish and chips, just flour/corn meal so it's thin and more of a crumbly coating. Batter is not the way to go for po' boys. Mayo on the bread, L&T, pickles, squeeze a lemon directly on the fish if desired. It all comes together. Textures are key. Crunchy, crispy, soft. Acids cut any heaviness.

Fried catfish is comfort food for me.

So, uh, Boss....like catfish much?!

:rofl:

Yes :D Looking forward to the po' boys! I know the oyster and shrimp are the real popular ones, and someone needs to do the roast beef.

CJ - We have catfish almost every week. And yes, there have been occasions when we've had it more than once in a week. We usually blacken or fry it - so good! I tend to be with you on the bread-and-bread thing, though like THP says, this isn't really like breading or a heavy batter. The thing that really boggles my mind still are pierogies - basically mashed potatoes tucked inside pastry-type dough, which I didn't become acquainted with until I moved here. I kind of get people using that as a side dish, but the people who eat that as an entree??? Starch-and-starch doesn't make sense to me, from a nutrition standpoint. But I guess some people just really like them, so it's all good!

And J.... as the RESEARCH king, I'm expecting an annotated bibliography with yours.... :lol:

Back