food Sandwich of the Month

Yes :D Looking forward to the po' boys! I know the oyster and shrimp are the real popular ones, and someone needs to do the roast beef.

I dunno'.

Catfish is pretty dang big here in Texas. The local Try-N-Save sells the crap out of it.

At restaurants I also see catfish outselling oysters and shrimp as well.

Louisiana has always been that sister from another mister to Texas and the cajun and creole influences are undeniable.

The only time I get catfish is at a restaurant! I'm a huge fan!!!

But I could try sweet talkin' the local fish monger.....miracles do happen!!!!

But for the freestyle version I may have to go with salmon!!!! PNW style! :D

I guess we have to wait till sept. 1 to learn the rules and regs....

Totally down for conch. Maybe gator.
Thinking about boneless frog legs...

Not much in the way of rules really.

Just do your NOLA style po'boy be it roast beef, oysters, shrimp, catfish, etc. on french style baguette along with a hotness factor.

"Dressed" would be with lettuce, tomato, and sometimes pickle.

Do your riff on a hot remoulade which I believe turns a good po' boy into a great po' boy.

Remember for the seafood, you want a corn meal/corn flour based breading. Not a thick beer batter or pancake like batter.

Those listed above are more or less the basic parameter's.

With this sammich I prefer hot sauce over chile's but that's just me, and while it ain't hot enough to burn a baby's butt, I really dig on Crystal brand hot sauce for a seafood po' boy. To me it just works perfect but use what you like.

If I can find my catfish, I shall be going Blackened!!!!

But I'm craving blackened fish so bad I don't think I can wait for the catfish to materialize. But, that's another thread......;)

CJ, Y U no use that triploid fish that y'all were getting a while back?

You know the one that looked like a football salmon? I can't remember the name you call it.

I didn't necessarily mean that any fish used absolutely had to be catfish, just that it should be prepared in a style that reflects the NOLA influence.

I dunno, CJ.... you might be stepping on some Po' Boy definition toes there... :lol:
Mebee THE TB should speak on that.

And, chickieboom, blackened catfish is DA BOMB!

Edit: HA! Ya beat me to it.....

clearly the po'boy is poorly defined and highly regional ... the meat ranges from banh mi to fried seafood to roast beef ...

the very notion of rules, constraints, and/or authority are lost on me ... especially in the absence of any and all stakes ...

I'd say the only guideline is that you can eat it w/o utensils, on the run, likely using a french-bread meat handle =) ...

CJ, Y U no use that triploid fish that y'all were getting a while back?

You know the one that looked like a football salmon? I can't remember the name you call it.

I didn't necessarily mean that any fish used absolutely had to be catfish, just that it should be prepared in a style that reflects the NOLA influence.

Naw, Scovie won't let me bring that mutant stuff ("fatfish") into the house anymore! haha

I have my heart set on catfish for my first "true" NOLA po' boy. But for my 2nd one......heh, heh, heh! ;)

Grant ~ you've already established that the rules are merely a suggestion when it comes to you.

Go ahead and post your egg rolls and potato latkes here anyway. :rofl:

CJ ~ Scovie no likey the fat pheesh? And why won't he let you have it? He's been snorting dust from the tile saw again hasn't he?

Grant ~ you've already established that the rules are merely a suggestion when it comes to you.
Go ahead and post your egg rolls and potato latkes here anyway. :rofl:

True. I seem to recall you having to encourage people to put a spin on their sammie's either during the cheese steak or the cuban, though ...

True. I seem to recall you having to encourage people to put a spin on their sammie's either during the cheese steak or the cuban, though ...

You are correct.

I reckon I nor anyone else would object to you "dressing" your po' boy with say picklese as an example, rather than lettuce and tomato. Another example would be you preparing the beef ala sous vide which while I doubt that anyone does in NOLA, but then again why not?

Any rules in effect would be for the sake of getting too crazy. We don't want people putting marinara and pepperoni on a french roll and calling it a po'boy is all I'm sayin'.

I think there's plenty of room to play around while still maintaining the integrity of the sandwich.

Back