• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Scovie's Bits. (And maybe some cooking)

saiias said:
I am genuinely surprised. How do you like your omlette boss man?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Preferably no browning, and fluffy, half moon... French omelet basically. Juia Child mastered it, good video on making them different ways here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AySmkqTlrVA&t=3s

But it's funny how we will eat the same meal by a different name just fine. I don't like browned omelets but call it a frittata and I love them, and they are browned. lol.

Holy crap. Those are not my techniques at all. I use 3 eggs in a 13"? 15"? pan and roll the eggs around until the liquid sets. Then I add all the fillings and fold it up. I don't fork with the eggs once they hit the pan or shake the pan while they're cooking. I would like to up my game tho so thanks for the videos THP and Ashen, showing both variations.

They both used more butter and nonstick pans which I don't use but that wouldn't matter. My pan is Hard Anodized Aluminum (30 yo Calphalon) and pretty much nonstick. I am sure that my style (American), instead of a sprinkle of chives, I put a pound of fillings in it, not the french style I don't think. Just like pizza, Americans have added a ton of shit to it which is not authentic.

I am going to play around with these techniques tho. Thanks for the vids!

They say the folds in a chefs hat represents each way to cook an egg which is 100.

Ha!

Here's my chefs hat:

A6BB5819-B33B-46E1-AEA7-4603FE0D9FF1.jpeg

Many different ways.

One of my favorite omelets in my hood is this French place where they are always perfectly cooked (no brown) but the last fold is like a taco fold, with sauteed mushrooms and asiago. Like, they don't cook it into the egg when it's raw rather, add it at the end, and tip the pan for a taco fold, and the heat just melts the cheese perfectly and the shrooms are already cooked (in wine I think)... so damn good!

Haha! So you like enhiladas, I like tacos. Where is Frued??? ;) :lol:

It's weird, I make my scrambled eggs like Jack Pepin made the classic french omelette, except I don't fold it up at the end, I dish them up at that point. I HATE hard scrambled eggs. I make them soft and creamy, s&p and sometimes with a little cheese.

I think you would like my scrambled eggs!

Crap, I wasn't done. haha

Mushrooms cooked in wine and maybe garlic? Sounds awesome in an omelette like that. I am thinking that the classic french omelette isn't really "stuffed", just a sprinkling of fillings. Not overdone like mine. Ha.

re: scrambled

Yup, soft and creamy, I cook mine in butter like my gramma did, and on low heat. A splash of water because there's that whole water or milk debate but the milk makes them paler (I like bright yellow) and the water steams and I like that better for fluffiness. Don't stir too early, but then stir often. Wooden spatula. Soft and creamy. Boom. I have also used half and half but like I said, the color... YES to cheese. 

Butter.

Always.

A chef told me once that by adding milk or cream you're just basically adding more protien. Water, if anything, is the way. IMO Steaming is what youafter! But it is debated like beans in Chile. yaaawwwwnnnn there is no debate.

No beans. :Rofl: :rofl:

Pretty sure they have frijoles in Chile...

Lol.

I love a cheesy omlet, but cannot stand cheese mixed into scrambled eggs. In an omlet, the eggs are cooked and the cheese is melted. In scrambled eggs, it's like the eggs don't get cooked and are still slimy, even though I know they are cooked and it's just the melted cheese that seems slimy.

I love cooking omlets on a flat top. 3 eggs spread out to a 20" circle. You can fit 3 pounds of fillings in something like that. Scovie, can you find a link to a video or something for Beth's?

Booo! No cheese!

salsalady said:
I love cooking omlets on a flat top. 3 eggs spread out to a 20" circle. You can fit 3 pounds of fillings in something like that. Scovie, can you find a link to a video or something for Beth's?

YUCK! Don't get me started. From a pan only! Diner omelets are just dry sheets of egg.

The Hot Pepper said:
Catch up SL we are onto chilli chili chile
Cross posting...

SL, you never had a "breakfast scramble?" A fancy name for scrambled eggs with things in it, served in a bowl? How does cheese make it slimy? I could make you a good scramble. Fresh mozz, grilled artichoke hearts, and roasted tomato.

You can't fit 2 cups of chili With Beans, 2 handfuls of cheese, half cup green onions, handful diced tomatoes, big splooge of sour cream and 3 spoons of pico de Gallo in a 10" pan omlet.

Back