• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedlings 03-02-09

wordwiz said:
Best of luck, AJ. I'll be thrilled to the skies if I can sell 200 peppers, and that includes the bells and sweet bananas.

I'm shooting for 100. Problem is I should have started them earlier - or I shouldn't have dropped the first batch and had to start over. grrrr. I find myself hoping for more cold weather so people don't want to plant until mine get big enough to sell.
Now only about half of the sprouts are up from the germinated seeds. I'm having a hard time keeping the cups warm enough at night. I just hope they're 'slow' and not 'dead'. Warmer weather is on the way.

you are right about the warmer weather Carol..it is supposed to be 70 here today then mid 80s for the next three days with lows in the 50s until next Tuesday....come on Spring....

Didn't get nearly as cold as forecast again last night. One more night and I can get some transplanting done. Not sure if I should put more in the ground just yet but I want to. I want to real bad. I think I have a big enough tarp to cover some more ground. hehehehe

I am also going to sell some this year, I'm already afraid that I will not have enough plants. The response I am getting is unreal. The tomatoes are the moneymaker though, I am thinking about going to Lowes today to get another wire shelf and a couple of lights. It seems that most do not want the superhots just the regular stuff. Everybody wants tomatoes.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
I am also going to sell some this year, I'm already afraid that I will not have enough plants. The response I am getting is unreal. The tomatoes are the moneymaker though, I am thinking about going to Lowes today to get another wire shelf and a couple of lights. It seems that most do not want the superhots just the regular stuff. Everybody wants tomatoes.

Dale

I'm gonna try selling too... I have 72 tomato seedlings at the moment. Plan on sowin up another tray today.

you are right about the superhots...most people don't want them and want regular Japs and Cayennes and again you nailed it with tomatos...I ordered about 17 more vairieties last week...all "giants" and will plant them within the next couple of days...

now thats not a bad idea....

:goes to drawing board to "ideate": :lol:

It would get sun all day, give you tons of room for fairly large plants, could be heated in the winter from the roof of your house...

AlabamaJack said:
you are right about the superhots...most people don't want them and want regular Japs and Cayennes and again you nailed it with tomatos...I ordered about 17 more vairieties last week...all "giants" and will plant them within the next couple of days...

So, you're really interested in developing the plant sales end of things? I guess I had the impression that was mostly just an outlet for your excessive enthusiasm in planting.

AlabamaJack said:
you are right about the warmer weather Carol..it is supposed to be 70 here today then mid 80s for the next three days with lows in the 50s until next Tuesday....come on Spring....

caroltlw said:
Didn't get nearly as cold as forecast again last night. One more night and I can get some transplanting done. Not sure if I should put more in the ground just yet but I want to. I want to real bad. I think I have a big enough tarp to cover some more ground. hehehehe

Virginia may have entered the new ice age. It was 10F when I woke up this morning. That is possibly a new record low for March 3rd. As a side note, Greenpeace was protesting global warming yesterday about 35 miles northeast of here in Washington. It was snowing early and then stayed in the 20's all day with high wind. I'm sure their message went over real well. Talk about bad timing! :lol:

Pam said:
So, you're really interested in developing the plant sales end of things? I guess I had the impression that was mostly just an outlet for your excessive enthusiasm in planting.

definitely interested in the plant sales end of things Pam...I hopefully can develop a "following" over the next year and can use this as part of my retirement income...

I do like to plant stuff...

AlabamaJack said:
definitely interested in the plant sales end of things Pam...I hopefully can develop a "following" over the next year and can use this as part of my retirement income...

Well, good luck. If you can find that niche market, you can probably, at the very least, support your gardening habit.

I do like to plant stuff...

Ha! Do ya think?

The planting and growing part can be just as addictive as the eating peppers part.

Pam said:
Well, good luck. If you can find that niche market, you can probably, at the very least, support your gardening habit.

Ha! Do ya think?

The planting and growing part can be just as addictive as the eating peppers part.

Thanks Pam....and I really think I am addicted to planting and growing more than I am the results.....naaaaaaaaaaaaa....was just a bad thought..

thepodpiper said:
AJ, I noticed that in your 72's some are filled with mix more than others, is it just a time saving thing.

Dale

Dale...I am using three different seed starting mix and some of them settle/compact more than the others...

Just found a source for containers....one of the guys at work that wanted to buy 4 Bhut Jolokias from me got to talking...he has a brother with a ranch and has a bunch of these he will let me have for nothing...I told him that he could have as many pepper plants as he wanted...

these containers are 16" deep and about 22" in diameter...gotta be close to 25 gallon...I think he said "horse pellets" came in them...

030309a001.jpg

030309a002.jpg

these are the size I want to grow my bigger pepper plants in, especially 2nd and 3rd year plants (which I don't hve any of this year)....

AlabamaJack said:
Just found a source for containers....one of the guys at work that wanted to buy 4 Bhut Jolokias from me got to talking...he has a brother with a ranch and has a bunch of these he will let me have for nothing...I told him that he could have as many pepper plants as he wanted...

these containers are 16" deep and about 22" in diameter...gotta be close to 25 gallon...I think he said "horse pellets" came in them...

these are the size I want to grow my bigger pepper plants in, especially 2nd and 3rd year plants (which I don't hve any of this year)....

Oh man, that's a great deal AJ! I'll have to check some of my horsey friends and see if they get feed in those tubs, too.

They sell similar ones around here at the grocery and hardware stores for about $6.99 or $7.99 CND. Some even have rope handle built in.

yes sir, that is my old wore out self...

thanks RB...you make me blush...

Pam...the guy I was talking to said he had an unlimited supply...and to me...I can barter plants for containers...

Back