• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Self Pollination Necessary?

I've got my first Hab pod growing, I have self pollinated here and there but not in a few days. Flowers are continuing to drop off. Is it necessary for me to self pollinate since the bees have already moved on?

Nah, peppers are pretty good at pollinating themselves. Besides bees there are a ton of other bugs that do the job plus the wind or even you brushing up against the plant will do it.

Flower drop is caused by many things but I believe one of the main reasons is too hot temps.

Thanks Patrick. Yes I have my plants on about a 6 hour cycle of direct sunlight and when temps are to hot outside I bring them inside until it cools off outside. Seems to somewhat be working hey at least I got a pod!

Nah, peppers are pretty good at pollinating themselves. Besides bees there are a ton of other bugs that do the job plus the wind or even you brushing up against the plant will do it.

Flower drop is caused by many things but I believe one of the main reasons is too hot temps.

+1

Too high of temps will cause the flowers to drop off.

Good Luck!!

The temps vary from 90-100*F during the hottest points in the day and 50-63*F at night. So I try to keep it at a temp of 65-85.

Does anyone know what "too hot"is. And ofcourse there is also to cold.

What is the ideal temperature for flowers to polinate.

I also understand there can be certain peppers that do well at high temp and others that don't. I have heard from a friend that one pepper produced high yields in a greenhouse and a other variety didn't and did beter outdoors.

Is it possible to determine by group what the best way of growing is and what temp. is best for producing pollen and polination(chinense, baccatum, annuum etc.)?

Does anyone know what "too hot"is. And ofcourse there is also to cold.

What is the ideal temperature for flowers to polinate.

I also understand there can be certain peppers that do well at high temp and others that don't. I have heard from a friend that one pepper produced high yields in a greenhouse and a other variety didn't and did beter outdoors.

Is it possible to determine by group what the best way of growing is and what temp. is best for producing pollen and polination(chinense, baccatum, annuum etc.)?

The general rule of thumb is anything over 32c is getting too hot; at 35c and above, plants don't set pods well at all.
Too cold is anything much under 18c.
The variables would be duration; brief forays over or under usually don't register much, IME.
Cheers.

I've never really had an ssue with heat or cold killing pod production. Two years ago I left huge plants out till late november, a week of nights below 30f and they were still setting.

Well it was 109F yesterday. Thats hot enough that i have no new habs or bhuts. Only a few serrano and jalapeno, a TON of the NuMex varieties, and my very productive Pequin. Dont worry about fruit yet. Let the plants grow bigger so you have more pods later......

80's-90's. As far as pollinating goes, if insects aren't doing the job, swatting them with a fly swatter does well with both tomatoes and peppers.

since I have been rubbing my finger on inside of flowers and moving on to the next i've got a few more pods setting

I'm basically lazy, well it's harder to get around in the garden with the walker, but I give the peppers a good dose of letting alone. Some lose flowers in the heat but will do fine when it cools off again. I'm totally amazed as it was wet and cold, plants got put out late. I figured we'd have very few peppers but they have surprised me. Bushes look great, loads of flowers. Peppers want to grow so I stand back out of the way and let them go.

Back