• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Should we have a fun 2009 grow contest?

AlabamaJack said:
EDIT: Got to thinking and counting lumens in the grow box and don't think 37K lumens is enough so I went to Homus Depost and am increasing the lumens from 37K to 60.8K with the addition of 13 new 150W eq bulbs....that is tomorrow mornings project...

so Mike...the wattage just went up 546....

AJ,

That's a lot of light. In my box I'm using to start seeds in I have only 20.7K lumens and it's a about 19 Sq./ft. Do you keep your lights closer to the plants when they are small? You have a max of 96 cubic feet you're lighting and I have less than 38. At the furthest point with the smallest plants, I'm getting about 3300 lux. When the seeds first start, I keep them closer to the plants, both vertically and horizontally and I'm getting from 8-9.6K lux.

Mike

AlabamaJack said:
010208a002.jpg

How many W are each of those CFL's?

well i'm not putting up a pic of my grow box now.......You will all laugh after seeing AJ's setup....:lol:

EDIT: That is an awesome setup AJ....lots of time and effort has gone into it...

Naaa... AJ's plants dont stand a chance! It will be almost dark in there with that top left bulb missing.

Was thinking of mounting half a dozen 1000 Watt HPS's in my dodgy ond freezer!

cheers

PS......... very nice AJ. What sort of size box do you have them over? And are they all on at once?

One more question AJ..... you live in Texas! Whats wrong with the sun :)

wordwiz said:
That's a lot of light. In my box I'm using to start seeds...

that was the goal...lots of light....this is not my germinator, this is my grow box where the plants will go after they get 14" tall...my germinator has about 12K lumens...

BillyIdle said:
How many W are each of those CFL's?

tony05 said:
One more question AJ..... you live in Texas! Whats wrong with the sun :)

I have been wanting to do this since last year when I built the box...the regular fluros and each light bar are separately wired so I can pick which ones I want...I have to get another power strip for the box 'cause the one I had does not have enough outlets...

Living in North Texas, we still get freezes...more of a roller coaster...is going to be 78F today but will freeze tomorrow night...this is just to be used during the "frost" period of Dec - Feb here...

wow more of a rollercoaster of temps than here is Aus!

We get (deg c) 0 to 20 in winter and 20 to 43 in summer (like 110 deg F) and the peppers really love it.

Im really looking forward to trying to grow a heat loving plant during the Aussie winter and mainly to compare with other Local growers! BUt alos will be fun to see if we can compete with the Northern folk.

Potawie....... well we all know he will grow a 17 foot tall palnt with 7000 pods all weighing in a 1.3 kg each....... but the rest of us can play :)

Man i love that blokes pepper pictures! I look at them all the time for inspiration!

cheers

blushing here Tony...

I grew nice plants last year but had no pod production until May or maybe June...I think I kept them on the grow formula too long and didn't transition to the fruit/bloom nutes until April...will transition sooner this year, probably March

OK - just planted my Fatalii's today. Along with Bhut & Bih Jolokia, Dorset Naga, Purple Tiger, Bishops Crown, Aji Lemon, 7 Pot, 7 Pot Jonah, Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Red Savina Habanero and Biker Billy Jalapenos. That's it! This is by far the earliest I've ever started.

ok guys i just placed my order today.. this is what i got...

Lemon Drop
Item Number: Lemon Drop

Quantity: 1

Total: $2.25 USD

Item Name: Fatalii
Item Number: Fatalii

Item Name: Chocolate Fatalii (10 Seeds Only)
Item Number: Chocolate Fatalii (10 Seeds Only)

Item Name: Foodarama Scotch Bonnet
Item Number: Foodarama Scotch Bonnet

I've never heard of Foodarama Scotch Bonnet but I've just looked it up at Peppermania:

Foodarama Scotch Bonnet; C. chinense

"La Reina found this beauty at a local market, a very fine strain of the Scotch Bonnet. Excellent producer of pods with pronounced "bonnet lobes" typical of the Scotch Bonnet, ripening to a very golden yellow on a sturdy plant. This one comes with the flavor, aroma and heat to create authentic Jerk sauces, marinades and rubs".

I started up my Blog So I can keep a weekly record of dates, heights, temps and photos for the fatalii comparison....I'm looking forward to playing this little game of ours....

moyboy said:
I started up my Blog So I can keep a weekly record of dates, heights, temps and photos for the fatalii comparison....I'm looking forward to playing this little game of ours....

Thats a good idea. Stops them getting lost in posts and threads. Each persons will be all in the one spot.

cheers

ok i got my seeds today.. the 2 on the right are free they gave me red Fatali and i think it is ajis i guess there are a hot pepper... oh and what are the rules indoor,outdoor?
IMG00044-20090107-15221.jpg

Well it's not to far off before a mass fatalii planting is going to happen....:)

Is everyone ready to get started.....

Is anyone going to (or are you already) soak the seeds in some wet paper towel before placing the seed in your chosen seed starting mix?

I am putting 2 seeds in over the counter seed raising mix, 2 seeds in coco (coir) and 2 seeds in peat pellets (the kind you put in water and they swell up). I will have the 3 different mediums in sealed containers to create a green house effect and they will be in my baby grow box getting a nice 29C 24 hours long.....

I am doing some basic design work in regards to building my grow box...so it should be in the construction stage in the coming weeks....

All the information relating to the above (along with pics) will be put in my blog as things progress....

I've found my seeds - does that count???

I wonder if THP would consider adding a topic for just the grow. As many members have said they are going to participate, a lot of threads in this section may drop off in a hurry.

Mike

provided i can get seed starters, i'll pick up a couple items this weekend. I'm going to start some seeds now and start some next month or march and see which do better. If all else fails, i'll buy potted plants from Cross Country in April. I don't care how i grow, so long as i grow. :D

Back