• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Silver_Surfer's season starts

I hear that. I am going to stick mine under our big maple tree. They will get good strong morning sun but only for an hour or so and then be in the shade for the rest of the day.

Hey SS first off amazing plants! I swear I have learned so much from your thread. Buti have a quick question, I know you spread like 25# compost to the plot but:

1. Did you just dig up the grass, till in the compose and call it a day?

2. How did you come up with the ratio?

I am just kicking around the idea of digging up a plot in my back yard (I have a ton of empty space) and seeing how you do it will help tremendously! Thanks!

M

This is the 4th year I've planted this particular spot and I just broke it with the tiller the first year.
I hired a dump truck to dump the 25 yards of compost at the end of the garden, rough spread it with my dozer, evened it out for the final spread with a box blade, pulled a subsoiler through it at 2 feet deep every 12 inches and then tilled it in well with my 6' tiller. Hardly broke a sweat. ;)
Tilled.jpg

Just figure how many inches of compost you want spread over the garden, compute your square footage and go from there. One cubic yard will cover 108 square feet with 3 inches of compost, for example.

Here's a few more plant pics taken this AM.

7 Pod Primo A later plant, the first round didn't germinate.
7PodPrimo.jpg

Beni Highlands
BeniHighlands.jpg

Bih
Bih.jpg

Butch T Scorpion
ButchT-Scorpion.jpg

Cayenne Thick
CayenneThick.jpg

Chocolate Bhut
ChocolateBhut.jpg

Douglah
Douglah-5.jpg

Fatalii
Fatalii-4.jpg

Giant Cumari (Wild) Another behind the others, first round didn't pop.
GiantCumari-Wild.jpg

Inchanga
Inchanga.jpg

Jalabanero
Jalabanero.jpg

Jalapeno - Biker Billy
BikerBilly.jpg

Jalapeno - Gigante
Gigante.jpg

Jalapeno - Mucho Nacho
MuchoNacho-3.jpg

Now there's a familiar site, Jack and the pepper pods! All is right with the world

Plants are looking mighty fine for having such a late start SS. I'm thinking your year is going to be a good one. Best of luck to you.

What an awesome setup, your plants look really healthy and well on their way to produce outstanding yields. I love it!!

Corn was already tosslin' and okra was gettin' fried at this time last season. May was crazy; the first half record cold and the last half set records for heat. June is hot and dry so far so the drip irrigation gets a workout. The drip tape is performing much, much better than the soaker hose used last season, but it sucks to get plants started earlier and set out so late. I did manage to pick over a pound of pods this AM though. :)

I'll try and snap a few close up shots of a few plants this evening.

Garden6-15-11.jpg

Garden2_6-15-11s.jpg

Garden3_6-15-11s.jpg

Garden4_6-15-11s.jpg

I believe I'm in love

Meticulous looking garden, photos should be in a garden magazine, wow!....tight clean foliage and your plants, good luck on your season

Back