• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Smoke Somethin

Got this char-griller premium kettle for my birthday, it says its a smoker too.

So after a little research and about 40 bucks for charcoal baskets and a pizza stone I'm gonna give it a shot.

Here's the kettle

20190312_183105.jpg

Charcoal baskets

20190315_091049.jpg

Modified grate out of my old grill, had to cut the sides off, and hit it with a hammer a couple times so it would get past these bolts.

20190315_095524.jpg

Pizza Stone(heat diffuser)

20190315_091703.jpg

Water/drip pan

20190315_091914.jpg

Forgot to add the apple wood, it wasn't that bad to open everything back up. Glad I took out some of the center of the old grate.

20190315_103011.jpg

Iron mikes mustard Bbq for a binder and Montreal steak, some minced onions, salt and pepper on the rub.

20190315_103136.jpg

20190315_102248.jpg

Questions, comments, and suggestions all welcome. This will be my smoking/grilling thread.

Bout to slap the meat on now!

20190315_110609.jpg

PtMD989 said:
My local grocery store has WSM on sale for $165.00 ,not sure what size they are [emoji848]. Is that a good price,eh [emoji848].
For $165, it’s probably the 14”

Around here (not sure if it’s different in different parts of the U.S.), prices for a brand new one are:

14” = $200
18” = $330
22” = $440

That’s a good chunk of money off, but if you don’t mind a used one, I’d bet you could easily find a used 18” for the price of a new 14” ;)

:cheers:

Today I'm going to make a stab at burnt ends from my previously slightly overcooked brisket flat, about 2 & a half pounds...The point is long ago digested, so the flat it is...

If anyone wants to wave me off or give me the pat on the head I need, now's the time. I plan to follow what I can make of Iron Mike's burnt end process...

And happy Fathers' Day, you fools.... :drunk:

stettoman said:
Today I'm going to make a stab at burnt ends from my previously slightly overcooked brisket flat, about 2 & a half pounds...The point is long ago digested, so the flat it is...

If anyone wants to wave me off or give me the pat on the head I need, now's the time. I plan to follow what I can make of Iron Mike's burnt end process...

And happy Fathers' Day, you fools.... :drunk:

Sorry, still social distancing. Happy fathers day!

Idk stetto? I havent noticed it, but my memory forgets most of my posts anyway. I see an old one and am confused sometimes lol.

Went out to the lake with the butthead kids this weekend, my buddy got a "floating motel" and had his boat out there. So we tailgated, cause I wasn't sure everyone would like me grilling on the little sidewalk thing.

Don't mind my spatula, I'm not the best at preparing

PtMD989 said:
My local grocery store has WSM on sale for $165.00 ,not sure what size they are [emoji848]. Is that a good price,eh [emoji848].

Mike is dead on with the prices he gave you. You should really keep checking craigslist/Facebook marketplace for a used one. I've gotten all my 18" wsms for between 20-90 bucks. And I've gotten a couple newer ones in great shape for 50 that cleaned up to like new. You probably want an 18, the 14s are pretty tiny, but could probably do a decent amount of pork butt or a separated brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna try this again, 've had my tantrum and after watching Andy "cook" with a flathead Snap-On I feel a little better....

Remember I was trying burnt ends from the flat---
6-21 Burnt Ends1.jpg

The Blues Hog sauces supplied by MikeUSMC were used, blended as per Mike's suggestion...
6-21 Burnt Ends2.jpg

I did have a small bit of the point left and cubed up to mix, and I used almost a full stick of butter. Ashen was right, I might oughta had used the whole stick, but this did work ok.
6-21 Burnt Ends3.jpg

We spent a few hours at my Dad's gravesite, cleaning up his marker and trimming the periphery, got back to the house about a half hour before the 3 hour mark (at 230 degs) in the oven. It was risky to crank up the coal burner in that circumstance, but this worked out pretty good. Took the pic about 10 seconds after removing foil...
6-21 Burnt Ends4.jpg

Then came brain fart, I'd mixed up more sauce and slathered on, put on the broiler for +/- 3 minutes. THAT made ooey gooey goodness. Forgot to take pics of the slather and the aftermath of the broil...However....There were a few leftovers.
6-21 Burnt Ends5.jpg

The flavor was spectacular. Those who happened onto one or two of the point cubes (I did, I did!) got a real treat.

Definitely tasty and memorable. Everyone loved them...But those of us with 55 y/o + teeth had some issues with the lean texture...

Learned a gutload, had a great Fathers Day, and I took out and thawed a 12 lb porkbelly and split by three, one is now waiting for a true pork burnt end experience!!

Da Porkbelly.jpg

Let's see if this posts.....

Back