• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

That burger was a spiritual experience! Except I had to eat it over the sink and wash my arms after each bite!!!! :rofl:

And those ribs were the first smoker escapade of the season.....it's gonna be an awesome Summer!!!!!!   :dance:

Holy freaking moly.  Burgers that are only fit for a king. Burgers that put all other burgers to shame.  Glorious is every bit of everyone of those pictures. Especially the lettuce on burger.

The ribs... good god the ribs look awesome. Whats your approach at smokin up ribs?

Thanks all, it was one helluva feast! The burger with the Onion soup mix is awesome. Rich onion flavor and super easy.
The only key is let it set for awhile, so the dried onion bits have a chance to soften. The layered roasted Jalapeño,
cheese, bacon, tomato and shredded lettuce was awesome.
The shredded lettuce is like a sponge for holding all of the blue cheese dressing, but don't tell that to TB. lol

HigherThisHeat said:
Whats your approach at smokin up ribs?
First I rinse the ribs under water, and pat dry with a towel. then, I put as much dry rub on the ribs as they will hold.
Smoke heavily with apple wood for about an hour and a half, then start mopping them with sauce every half hour,
for another hour and a half (3hours smoking total). at about 220°. Then I put them in a pan with about a quarter inch
of sauce (liquid) and wrap them tightly with foil. Put them back in the smoker for another 4-5 hours.
I don't continue smoking, just using the smoker as an oven, also at 220°.

Perfect weekend activity, and they came out perfectly. Juicy as hell, and the Meat fell of the bone.

It all started back a page... here. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35271-some-bbq-escapades/?p=826460

I'm going to try it just like that my next go at ribs.

I'm hoping to be smokin up a brisket this weekend on my weber kettle. I've never cooked a brisky before. Any advice?

Oh dag, I just received this in the mail to >=)

DSCN5128.JPG

Sweet remote! Just remember, it's not about the internal temperature of the meat, it's about rendering the fat.
That's why it takes 7 hours for ribs, and 9 or so hours for a butt roast. Pretty much everything quits taking smoke after about 3 hours, so at that point it's about maintaining the slow and slow cooking. I've heard people using something called a 3-2-1 method, but I am no pro, so I am not sure what that is. I have never even smoked a brisket, but if I were to do it, it would be about the same as I did with the ribs, with the mopping, etc. Post up what you learn tho, I am interested, because I love me some brisket!

I mostly bought the remote because it has a separate probe for monitoring the smoker temps. It's bad ass!

Yeah I've always loved brisket, but have been intimidated to try smoking one myself. I think I'll shoot for a 10 hour smoke at 225 if I can keep it that low.

I'll definitely be posting up some pics fer sure.

Yeah, SL has a sweet thermometer like that. The cheap ones that are bolted to the door/lid aren't that accurate. IMO.
Sounds like a good plan with your brisket bro!

Scoville DeVille said:
Then I put them in a pan with about a quarter inch

of sauce (liquid) and wrap them tightly with foil. Put them back in the smoker for another 4-5 hours.
I don't continue smoking, just using the smoker as an oven, also at 220°.

I knew it!  Oven ribs.  Nice job.

HigherThisHeat said:
I mostly bought the remote because it has a separate probe for monitoring the smoker temps. It's bad ass!

Yeah I've always loved brisket, but have been intimidated to try smoking one myself. I think I'll shoot for a 10 hour smoke at 225 if I can keep it that low.

I'll definitely be posting up some pics fer sure.
This is my absolute favorite for brisket (got it from my Better Homes and Gardens recipesbook) adjust times for size of brisket I usually do 8lbs expect the cooking time to be about 1 1/2 hours per pound @ 200-230F. At this temperature range the collagen in the meat will breakdown nicely and make the meat tender and tasty. - remember its low and slow to get to internal temp if you go to fast you might as well put laces on it and wear them for shoes. They take some time and once mastered its the pride in every pit masters arsenal remember what you did and work on it. 3-2-1 is for spare ribs 3hrs smoke 2hrs baste and foiled and 1hr without foil to dry/sauce up.
Texans' Beef Brisket
Makes: 12 servings
Prep 30 mins to 1 hr
Soak 1 hr
Smoke 5 hrs to 6 hrs

ingredients
6 - 8 mesquite, hickory, or pecan wood chunks
1 recipe Vinegar Mop Sauce
1 3 - 3 1/2pound fresh beef brisket
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 recipe Spicy Beer Sauce
12 kaiser rolls, split and toasted (optional)
directions
1. At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
2. Prepare Vinegar Mop Sauce; set aside. Trim fat from meat. For rub, in a small bowl combine seasoned salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic pepper, and cumin. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
3. In a smoker arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place meat on grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 5 to 6 hours or until meat is tender, brushing occasionally with Vinegar Mop Sauce during the last hour of smoking. Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture.
4. To serve, thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve meat with Spicy Beer Sauce. If desired, serve meat and sauce in Kaiser rolls.

Vinegar Mop Sauce
ingredients
1/4 cup beer
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno mustard or other hot-style mustard
Few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
directions
1. In a small bowl stir together beer, Worcestershire sauce, cooking oil, vinegar, jalapeno mustard or other hot-style mustard, and hot pepper sauce.
Spicy Beer Sauce

Yield: about 2-1/4 cups
ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped, seeded, peeled tomato (1 large)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 cup bottled chili sauce
1/2 cup beer
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 - 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
directions
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter or margarine. Add tomato, onion, and green sweet pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chili sauce, beer, cider vinegar, brown sugar, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, black pepper, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, about 10 minutes or until reduced to about 2-1/4 cups.
Servings Per Recipe 12

Thanks Scovie - I have a lot of friends and family ask me to make this. The spicy beer sauce isnt "hot" but I think it lends a nice tangy-ness I dont usually use rolls

Lovin' the ribs loooong time Scov.

The burger works for me but not really.

That lettuce.

Dried soup mix.

The burger looks tight.

Like meatloaf.

The blue scheeze saves it but just barely.

You're 'posed to splooge that sheeit right on the meat, not on the lettuce.

And where's da' whhhhiskey?

I was waiting for TB to comment on the overworked meat. I figured since it had soup mix in it it had to be (to be mixed in good), and was like a meatloaf burger, flavor, and texture.

Ribs looking real good there.

Back