• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Shane - All i have to say is WOW! 

Your harvests look amazing as usual and those sauces look very interesting to say the least, love the charapita vinegar -thats a greats idea. Always a pleasure seeing your updates.

Looking good again. I just sown (?) 4 primo seeds again for next season. All came up. I hope to get my hands on some yellow primos and reapers as well and try to get some decent shape pods. 
Last time I had Primo's, I had mostly little, pointless pods becuase of the cold weather. So next year I hope mine will look as good as yours :P  

Shane,

I just visited your Glog for the first time.  I've thumbed through it and it's humbling how much you manage to accomplish.

In the chilihead world you are a one man fire team!

Shane my man. What can I say that has not already been done  ;)

Your Harvest are out of this world. The ferments and powders are dazzling.  :party:

Your attention to detail is second to none.  :fireball:

When I grow up and become an expert Chilihead I want to be molded by yours truly.  :dance:

Only thing new I can add is this mystery pepper. Texture and color is spot on yellow cardi scorp. Pod shape is much like a trinidad congo. So I am going with yellow congoscoprianage.  ;)

s2iAlHm.jpg

stc3248 said:

PuIed0a.jpg

Lightly crushed/bruised Charapitas. In a dill based vinegar, Mmmmmm....gonna be perfect on some greens! Left it home on purpose to make sure it mingles at least a week before I drain it!!!

Ok, ok...I really gotta go!!! :rofl: Dang...first the emoticon police...then the quote police...really???
Shane

Oh, man how I want this bottle. :woohoo:
Only four pods left of the charapitas you sent me... :mope:

BrooklynXpat said:
Shane - All i have to say is WOW! 

Your harvests look amazing as usual and those sauces look very interesting to say the least, love the charapita vinegar -thats a greats idea. Always a pleasure seeing your updates.
Thanks! I made a rare trip home last night and sampled it and the bottle I made with Birgits Locotos and they're both really good! 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Haha...I say that too when I first lay them out! Then...I look again and start thinking about all the processing and say Aww  :censored: ...

MGOLD86 said:
O....M....G......Charparita vinegar! GENIUS!
Thanks Brudda!!!

wahlee76 said:
Looking good again. I just sown (?) 4 primo seeds again for next season. All came up. I hope to get my hands on some yellow primos and reapers as well and try to get some decent shape pods. 
Last time I had Primo's, I had mostly little, pointless pods becuase of the cold weather. So next year I hope mine will look as good as yours 
Wow...already sowing fo rnext season??? You're gonna have a great jump start! I would like to try some Yellow Primos also, but I have more "Like to try" varieties then room! Not all the Primos on my plants have long tails...only maybe half. I think that's pretty standard. Good luck with them!

cone9 said:
Shane,

I just visited your Glog for the first time.  I've thumbed through it and it's humbling how much you manage to accomplish.

In the chilihead world you are a one man fire team!
Welcome to my saga cone! Haha...I have a hard time keeping up with the plants this time of year with my schedule, more just treading water if you know what I mean. 

romy6 said:
 Shane my man. What can I say that has not already been done  

Your Harvest are out of this world. The ferments and powders are dazzling.  

Your attention to detail is second to none.  :fireball:

When I grow up and become an expert Chilihead I want to be molded by yours truly.  :dance:

Only thing new I can add is this mystery pepper. Texture and color is spot on yellow cardi scorp. Pod shape is much like a trinidad congo. So I am going with yellow congoscoprianage.  ;)

Haha...you're an all growed up chilihead in your own right man! Can't wait to retire and do this full time with some real room. 150 acres of prime NE Texas property...7 lakes for irrigation...about half wooded for some real deal Forest Floor compost...Chicken Farms and Dairies on both sides for some free sheet....two tractors with all the attachments...Dad's been running cattle on the land for years, growing clover and the cattle have been putting it back down. Should be epic!!! I want to start off with a farm loan for a nice greenhouse, pumps and a dedicated processing shed outfitted with industrial dehydrators. Only problems will be Deer, Hogs and Storms. Cattle panel for the hogs, electric fence and my .308 for the deer, and well the storms, we'll just have to cross our fingers! Best part is...I'll be halfway to your house!!!

I don't know what to call those perdy yeller pods...for now I think just DELICIOUS!!!

GnomeGrown said:

Oh, man how I want this bottle. :woohoo:
Only four pods left of the charapitas you sent me... :mope:
I hope you saved some seeds Gnomey!!! Once I get these vinegar sauces tweaked a bit...I may make some extra!!! Stay tuned! :cheers:

Ok...I got to check the garden yesterday, still got some sick ones, but I see signs that they're starting to pull out of their funk. Nice green new growth on most and we've had a cool spell which has most of them setting flowers and pods again. Here are a few more pics from last weekend...

First off the Bubblegum 7 Pot seed from Denniz...I had just pulled a bunch so most of the ones on the plant aren't bleeding up the stem yet...or very little.

Xql1QrQ.jpg

WzygP3j.jpg

cj0HmYh.jpg

Here's the harvest...cool plant and really cool pods.

fY4Lq8U.jpg

Here are some good ones...like Morugas with Annuum caps...

ZjwI3Fq.jpg

Here are the Yellow Ajis from PaulG...big dang pods!!!

qmtcbqH.jpg

Did I say big...I mean't freakin HUGE!!! Haven't eating one yet...will this weekend and let y'all know what's up!!! 

DngNskA.jpg

Brain Strain 7 Pot from Vincent...really great plant! Strong grower...a little slow on the production side though. Most nodes setting single pods.

HU5zzmX.jpg

This pod got tied in a knot and caught in a fork and is trapped!!! Don't worry y'all, I'll save it! Not the best pic, but the pod is all distorted due to its predicament.

Finally...some shots of the Naga-Like Reapers. 
bSt1wvg.jpg

eDGx3SO.jpg

Very sweet with a nice burn, but not a record breaker. Production on this plant is freaking crazy though and the flavor is as good as any red pod...and better than most. I know it's not the real deal, but I would sooner grow this one again than the real deal. Plant is more vigorous and production on the true plant is not very good. Pods look cool though...so it's got that going for it! Once I finally man up and taste the real deal I will give my own personal verdict on weather it gets to grow in my garden again...but the Naga-Like...is IN!!!

If for now...gotta get to work!!! Hope everyone has a great day and thanks for visiting!
Shane

wahlee76, on 06 Aug 2013 - 5:29 PM, said:
wahlee76 said:
Last time I had Primo's, I had mostly little, pointless pods becuase of the cold weather. So next year I hope mine will look as good as yours 
Wow...already sowing fo rnext season??? You're gonna have a great jump start! I would like to try some Yellow Primos also, but I have more "Like to try" varieties then room! Not all the Primos on my plants have long tails...only maybe half. I think that's pretty standard. Good luck with them!

Last year I started with Jonah's in october, and that worked well. With the cold spring over here, they were still strong and producing quite well. So now I started even earlier and gonna start with Reapers this weekend. Gonna try to get them to be strong and big plants and compare them.

But back to your update; Those pods look great! And naga-like or not, your Reapers look Vicious :fireball:.  And still enjoyable, which makes it a good pepper to me :P

Nice update!

I just can't keep up with all these glogs anymore!

Glad you liked the Funky Reaper, I knew you would...it has great taste. Yours are a little wider than mine, but taste the same as you described.

And the rest...do I really need to tell you how damned good your grow is? LOL

Fantastic work there my friend!

• Shane, I enjoyed the stinger Barrackpore review, sounds very tasty and they look smexy mon.
  • Interesting compare of your Reaper VS Primo … I can’t wait to read or view your taste comparison
  • As usual your pictures are spot on and all look great, I really like the cut Barrackpore ones
  • I also enjoyed reading your retirement plans but if you’re a closet slacker and xbox junkie I’m a monkeys uncle, hahaha
  • Awesome job on the ferments and I love the look of the Charapitas in da vinegar bottle, that should be awesome tasting. I do the cooking sherry and rum ting with our pods but never tried the vinegar, I’ll have to give that a go … tanks mon!
  • Wishing ya and yours an awesome weekend brethren!

"I just wanna say..60 freaking pages....that is pretty amazing.".....from the looks of the time stamps, somebodies PT this morning was more like "THP" :dance:

I have to say this keep your cranium from bursting...........

I think you can do better, lets, um, step it up a notch ok? :woohoo:
Those BBG7's.......save me some!

Haha...another cop out thanks. So freakin busy on the weekends now. Ramon I am a Closet X-Box junkie...Matt, yes my PG count is out of control! Dave...you got it brotha! 

I have started to feed more often with a little higher dose and the plants are slowly climbing out of their funk...well most of them anyway. A couple may be done, but no biggie! Have been busy tending to the compost pile this weekend and last...should be able to do some really good amending and next year in the in-ground areas and go for a soil grow again.  :pray:  I learned a bunch about how to prep the beds for BIG plants over the past couple seasons and did some tweaking to my soil mix and prep for this years only ingrounds which are the Birgits for the Growdown...I will go ahead and let most of the cats out of that bag...I have done really well so far. I think its a three man race at this point and I am still a contender. 

Here is how she looks today...
gpYwsKm.jpg

I dug the hole over 5' deep when prepping this little bed. I back filled with a mixture of the soil I dug out along with compost, worm castings (my own) and cow manure. I also mixed in some osmocote general purpose time release. There is a soaker ring 4' below the surface and another just below the surface. About a month before plant out I started watering the plot with compost/kelp tea. The kelp I gathered from the beach on my Navy base. Initially I trimmed all side shoots leaving only the primary stem to grow. (looking back I think that may have been an error). I also deflowered the tallest plant until I could no longer keep up...no more pruning, just training. It is tied as a bundle every foot or so all the way up...about 10' tall now and hoping for another 4 or 5 feet before Halloween. Hard to see them but there are many thousands of pods on this plant. Almost had a catastrophy while taking this pic...I am having some gopher issues in this area and the ladder punched through into one of the tunnels...toward the plant. Me and the ladder went over. I was quick enough to push the ladder back the other way and land on my feet. Initial reaction was to grab the plant...could've  been really bad!!! :rofl:

Speaking of a thousand pods...
2ggyLPY.jpg

Very close to a thousand pods in this pic...there are 100 pods in my hand and over 9 hand fulls total. I started out to count them all, but quickly changed my mind when I got to 100 and still had so many left! Single plant...single pull. Almost a record, the Bird Aji (Wild Brazil) I grew last year produced over 1200 pods in a single pull...I counted as I picked them because I couldn't figure out why that one plant took so freakin long to harvest!!! Mystery solved!!! I couldn't get any of those seeds to pop for this season, but hope I can get one going next year!

oTubpTC.jpg

I am dubbing the mystery Yellow plant...Yellow 7 Pot Congo. There may be no relation, but they're very congo-like in shape. Very hot for a yellow too! 

0zyGClM.jpg

The lobes are so freaking cool on these pods!

uwiw3B6.jpg

Pulled quite a few ripe ones too!!!

XAT4fo9.jpg

The Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Walter Anderson's Nursery) is loading up with some Gnarl...

2467WOn.jpg

A couple more...I may have to pot this plant up. In a 7 gallon now...and getting pretty big!

m7t3Yhz.jpg

Think this "Primo" is a cross...some have small stingers and are more Primo in shape...but others are long and Bhut-like. Can't wait to sample one of these. Got some ripe ones...

ZW721Tb.jpg

This week's pull...minus a couple dozen Fataliis that got pulled and powdered on Wednesday and...

SNcFM4a.jpg

A nice bunch of Manzanos that are already smoked and drying!!! Next pull I may ferment...I dunno???

That's it for now...got a bunch more to do outside, may post a few more pics later on!!!
Shane

Very nice Shane!
 I agree with the need for a bigger ladder! So when's the contest over? Dug 5' down? Maybe that's one of my issues, 2' and then rock. Got any dynamite?

Have a great week!

Back