• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

STEAK!!

I know y'all cook up some great steaks so post them up in here....

I'll start us off…

2A0ED1BD-D2AC-4837-B059-BC4B5A5E7F3C-2503-0000028C217DC777.jpg

Getting up to room temp
5CEB1C79-F948-44E9-BE04-09A165024C93-2503-0000028C4DF8B0A6.jpg

Throw it on the grill...

75802F73-6675-41CA-A63B-8A17D8AD9BB9-2503-0000028C723D3DBB.jpg

Steak, mashed taters with Five counties cheese waiting to melt on top, and some peez

4B17B40B-7530-45F5-8408-BB805BA6E55B-2503-0000028C96FD1E67.jpg

Juices flowing…
CD7F5AB8-4E8D-4E25-9552-0DB1000383DB-2503-0000028CA9E265A3.jpg

DE31B1D0-9B91-44DF-A903-CF03F6291D21-2503-0000028CBAEA6C48.jpg

Yum! What u got?

Haven't had a bone in ribe eye for at least...2 weeks :D

Nice marbling.  Discolouration is from its brief stay in the freezer for 15 minutes before it went into a smoking hot CI pan to sear.
P9032727_zpshvan1dsh.jpg

After the sear I rubbed it with cold smoked birds eye chilli and sea salt (Sheoak cold smoke for 4 hours)
P9032728_zpsp0vi0yrd.jpg

Was gonna go sous vide but had the unfortunate experience of coming to the end of my vac bag roll.  New toy, gas smoker, into that then and see what happens.
Turns out this thing rocks!
P9032730_zpsfguvok1q.jpg

Smoked with hickory chunk cause I wanted a bold smoke flavour to go with the beef, chilli and Coopers Sparling Ale.  The beer was for the chef not the steak.
The steak was cooked at 220F for 1 hour.  Rested 10 minutes. Medium rare with bugger all temp gradient visible but def. has a smoke ring! woot.
P9032737_zpsaxaudng5.jpg

Sear, then rub, then smoke? Seems backwards, but looks amazing! I usually rub, then smoke, then sear. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

JayT said:
Sear, then rub, then smoke? Seems backwards, but looks amazing! I usually rub, then smoke, then sear. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

It was originally headed for sous vide otherwise I would have done it this way ^^

Looks awesome!

That's reverse sear? Hey I see a grey band!!!! ;)
Oh wait lemme guess, reverse sear over flame. Yeah that's not the same.

Ah! Too long in pan okay. Gotcha. Still looks beautiful but you can get rid of that banding with the CI sear.

Looks great to me, but yes, the Searzall would have reduced the gray band ...

Mind you, I don't really believe the extra cook on the gray band makes that much of a different in a bit of meat, but it goes to affect the mental bias ahead of taste ...

Still, filet from sous vide is delicious ... now I want.
Booma said:
... just doing it tough with a half torn apart kitchen, no tiles, no carpet, oven, pantry etc. haha

Many TD winners are built on an excuse sob story like this, LOL ...

CHEERS!

:cheers:

Searzall?

Sous-vide?

Reverse cowgirl?

What the hell?

I appreciate all the great pics of the steaks but man...

Doesn't anyone cook a steak like a caveman over flames of burning wood or on a flaming hot hunk of steel anymore?

Y'all are in danger of becoming a bunch of sissyficated uber engineers of bovine carcass'.

Cooking shows and their magic science gourmet foo foo kitchen juju are killing the planet!

I don't need to download an app to my phone to tell me when my steak is medium rare or some fancy schmancy 

thermomajiggy to tell me when my food is properly done.

Wait.

Correction.

That was "reverse sear".

I like "reverse cowgirl" better.

Still...

Y'all are a bunch of stinkin' food nerds.

Yeah I said it and you heard it for the first time right here.

FOOD NERDS!

Thank me later.

Bastiges, all of y'all!

:rofl:

texas blues said:
Searzall?

Sous-vide?

Reverse cowgirl?

What the hell?

I appreciate all the great pics of the steaks but man...

Doesn't anyone cook a steak like a caveman over flames of burning wood or on a flaming hot hunk of steel anymore?

Y'all are in danger of becoming a bunch of sissyficated uber engineers of bovine carcass'.

Cooking shows and their magic science gourmet foo foo kitchen juju are killing the planet!

I don't need to download an app to my phone to tell me when my steak is medium rare or some fancy schmancy 

thermomajiggy to tell me when my food is properly done.

Wait.

Correction.

That was "reverse sear".

I like "reverse cowgirl" better.

Still...

Y'all are a bunch of stinkin' food nerds.

Yeah I said it and you heard it for the first time right here.

FOOD NERDS!

Thank me later.

Bastiges, all of y'all!

This might be my favorite TB post that I have read.

I'll be getting into the sous vide thing in the fall... too much good eats being posted. First post will be a steak for TB.

Bahaha I just noticed how you snuck the flattop in there... that's a gadget sir. 

texas blues said:

Back