• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Superhot Concentrate

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I had to figure a way to preserve my superhot harvest over the past two weeks and I decided to simply add a little vinegar and salt to the blended peppers and pressure can them...

I ended up with 14 8 ounce jars of concentrate. The fresh taste of the pods remains and I can use this various ways including making hot sauce with them...

A pic of the jars...2 Dorset Naga, 2 Trinidad Scorpion, 3 Yellow Trinidad Scorpion, and 7 7 Pots...

This will get me thru the winter I am sure...thank you Billyboy for the recipe...

100 grams pepper
60ml vinegar
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp sugar

110108c001.jpg

JayT said:
I've actually had rattlesnake before. Don't mind eating them, just don't want to sleep with them. Uh oh, I think we have hijacked a mod's thread now. :lol: Sorry AJ.
Oops, there I go runnin off at the mouth. It's all JT's fault! He had no pie.

threads tend to drift a bit if there are a lot of responses...

back on track now though...

I am planning on starting the concentrate/paste routine again this afternoon...I have a bunch more 7 pots, scorpions, and superhot pods I got from seeds on ebay that were supposed to be Bih Jolokias and Dorset Nagas...not the right pod shape but superhot none the less...

I have a question though...if you make a concentrate out of regular chilis like anaheims and pasillo bajios, could you use these as "liquid" chili powder to make chili with?

I'm pretty sure you can. Well, at least that's what I'm going to do and it is the main purpose of the concentrates I'm making. I've made a handful of jars of Cayenne/Dutch concentrate that I wanna use to spice up chili and sauces. I tried one of the concentrates and it is pretty hot, so I think they'd be perfect for cooking chili.

Here's a question about the concentrates. I had my chiles frozen before i used them. I thawed them overnight and found them really easy to work with. Any thoughts on this? It seems to me that soft sqishy pods were much easier to work with than say, crisp fresh pods. In fact, my theory is that freezing them, than thawing, than concentrating them would be a pretty good idea.

I'm out of fresh peppers, just frozen, or i'd try and figure this one out. Maybe someone else would be willing to give it a go and compare?

I just wonder if the frozen pods lose something during the freezing/thawing process...not suggesting losing heat, rather some of the fresh taste...

AlabamaJack said:
I just wonder if the frozen pods lose something during the freezing/thawing process...not suggesting losing heat, rather some of the fresh taste...

I know the ones i freeze do. Thats why the frozen ones are only used for cooking with(that and because they become kinda flaccid also)

I didnt notice any flavor loss. I think i'll sacrifice a jar and find out for sure. now that i think of it, i used regular unfrozen scotch bonnets in that concentrate and there was no difference in anything.

I think my future plans on makin stuff like this will be to just cook the stuff immediately and not have to worry about freezing junk.

I'll post back about the flavor loss as soon as i get set to make my pumpkin sauce.

It was a slight loss of fresh taste. Mostly they get really limp when they're thawed, so thats why i always get enough to freeze half for later on and half to use within the next 3 or 4 days at the most.

I always freeze some so I have real peppers to play with all winter. I find that slicing them frozen is easy enough and I feel that the only loss is in texture not taste.

Concentrate Sunday 11-16-08

I am going to be cooking and pressure canning concentrate all day today....probably will get somewhere around 40 eight ounce jars...

here is the first batch...these are red superhots that the seeds were bought off ebay for Bih Jolokia and Dorset Naga...not the right pod type but plenty of superhot heat and good flavor...

111608a001.jpg

first batch cooking....about 4 quarts...

111608a002.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
I am going to be cooking and pressure canning concentrate all day today....probably will get somewhere around 40 eight ounce jars...

here is the first batch...these are red superhots that the seeds were bought off ebay for Bih Jolokia and Dorset Naga...not the right pod type but plenty of superhot heat and good flavor...first batch cooking....about 4 quarts...
Dayum, AJ, that makes me want to come over with a spoon and a plate full of Mexican food!

Serious YUM!

40, eight ounce jars.....WOW

better leave the spoon at home and bring swizzle stick....I am having a bloody mary using about 1/8 tsp of this stuff and it is almost too hot to drink....got a real good warm feeling down in my tummy and sweat under my eyes...first 12 jars in the pressure cooker...

That concentrate looks really good Ronnie. It was just a couple months ago you made your first sauce, now you make concentrate and pressure canning the results. I hope you don't mind but I don't want to start a new thread about this but I experimented this weekend. A crude extraction using 91% rubbing alcohol and evaporate under my grow lights. It has the consistency of pine sap and gets hard in the fridge. The smallest amount on the end of a toothpick is all I can handle. Like the fresh taste so much better like your doing, the idea of a "wet" powder for you chili.
IMG_1753.jpg

PRF...don't eat that stuff...rubbing alcohol is Methanol...read poisonous...everclear is what you need to use...read ethanol...

1st batch complete...17 8 oz jars...

111608b002.jpg

second batch prep...yellow superhots like the reds...these were ebay seeds of bih jolokia and dorset naga but turned out yellow...oh well...good taste and dynamite heat...

111608b001.jpg

second batch cooking....

111608b003.jpg

That Magic Bullet must be getting a workout. I fully understand about the Methanol being used in this very small batch that is not intented for anything except experience. That is all I had on hand last night so I used two shot glass worth to saturate dry material. Came out better than I thought in a quick extract, hot and concentrated. I will use Everclear if I ever wanted to do this again. Don't have a use when you can just grow 7 Pod, and it taste like tin foil. I'm still alive.

cool PRF...I thought you would know better, but I had to warn you just in case...phewwwwwwwwww

yup...the magic bullet is working overtime...It got so hot I could smell it on the first batch so I slowed down a bit to let it cool between batches...

batch 2 complete, 12 8 oz jars....

111608c003.jpg

Batch Three, Chocolate Habs prep

111608c001.jpg

Batch Three, Chocolate Habs cooking...

111608c002.jpg

Batch #3 Complete...

111608d001.jpg

37 1/2 eight ounce jars...total concentrate put up today = 300 ounces

Back