SV's 2010 Garden List

Lumbre with some Hot Cherry’s to the right, they are looking good too and the Lumbre has a little heat. Thanks Brian!!!

4663421601_2ea47fe3cb_b.jpg

Orange Hab’s are looking good, this plant is putting out a lot more fruit than the others.

4664043362_b6753b9405_b.jpg

I have grown Jap’s in buckets before but these are horrible, I have not ID’d the issue yet. Cherry tomatoes, Swiss Chard and a lone Yellow 7 Pot (I think).

4664044014_fd00514045_b.jpg

I believe these are all Jap’s and they wilt almost every day, I think I should put them in a bucket or in the garden. It would be nice to try and overwinter them though.

4664044504_991e9346ff_b.jpg

I don’t know what this plant is, I can’t think of anything that long and Serrano like, it might be a Billy Biker or Type M Jap.

4664045440_9daa867348_b.jpg

The last batch of mystery peppers; do you have an opinion on what I should do with them? I can plant them where the lettuce was planted but they would not receive full sun with the Orange Hab’s on the south side. I could put them in buckets or at least pot up in 1 gallon containers I have on hand.

4664044966_2cb52a54ba_b.jpg

Anyway, that is all for now, I hope you all are having a sizzling good summer!!!!

Wow, awesome work SV. No ideas about your mysteries, but you can give some plants away on craigslist or sell them, give to friends...

SV I just love the looks of the beds! Looking very professional. The peppers in the blue cups should be potted up if you plan on keeping them. You've got this much work into them no reason to stop now. Are you using any fertilizers on the beds/bucket plants?

Hey SV1000, just read your PM and thought I'd respond to it here. You're doing great man, you're harvesting pods already for goodness sakes. :)

As for the buckets, check your drainage/aeration. Dunno if you can get Pro Mix BX where you are, but my mix of choice for standard containers has surely changed after just feeling this stuff. Their Premiere bales of peat don't come close to the quality of the peat they use in BX (you can tell this stuff has been screened/sifted and has nice textured longer fibers). Also it has been inoculated with mycorrhizae, which is well worth the premium, but then they add dialed in PH balance, perlite and a proper complete charge of balanced nutes to get your seedlings off to a terrific start on top of that. Well that's enough about BX, I'm starting to sound like a friggin' commercial. :lol: Here's the mix I'm liking now, but the plants will have their final say at season's end.

My preferred container mix is now:
2 cu. ft. bag of Evergreen soil conditioner (partially composted pine bark fines) available here at Lowe's for $2.97
5 gallon bucket of Pro Mix BX (local CO-OP sells it for $28.95 per 3.8 cu. ft. compressed bale).
1.5 gallons of Black Kow composted cow manure. (Lowes again, 50# bag for $4.77).
1 gallon of Evergreen Organic Humus ( 1 Cu. Ft. bag @ Lowes - $1.37)
1.5 cups dolomitic limestone (Available at local feed store for $4.50 per 50# bag).
3 gallons of perlite (local CO-OP sells it for $16.95 per 4 cu. ft. bag).
1 cup of your fave granulated organic nute and/or 1 gallon of composted wastes from Super Chicken. :)

Mix well, moisten and surround your potted plant with it, keep moist and feed it a little 1/2 strength solution every other week.
Heavy rain won't drowned your roots; its almost impossible to over water this mix and the plant's I have in it haven't complained yet; although, the slugs sure like to munch on them and the huge downpours we've been having lately keep washing away my salt barrier. :(

Thanks guys, overall I am pleased with the raised beds but the local dirt yards brown topsoil had too much clay in it so I will have to rework the beds over the winter. Last year my peppers had no real heat to speak of after the first batch of pods, I have no idea why but I don't want to celebrate too early; will to do taste test in a few weeks.

Silver_Surfer

The container mix is called "Contractor's Mix" from the local nursery. It is a M&P type place in the country and their recommendation for potted plants. With the poor health of even the tomato's, the mix is suspect. I would say it is medium to firm but not compacted. I have about six 1/2" holes in the bottom of each container, I was really thinking they have not received enough water but I really don't know.

I used Miracle Grow in the early stages and then moved to Osmocote when the plants went outside.

I have Lowes, Home Depot and a Co-Op in town, I will make some calls today and see if I can gather up the mix materials as suggested. I can experiment with the remaining seedlings and pot up as you an Patrick suggested. I think I might get some pods from the plants if I get them potted up soon.

wow things are looking great there! no idea what the mistery plant is but those are fun to have sometimes, made you can figure it out once you get pods. I say put those little guys up, you'll probably have pods soon

Nice raised beds and great looking plants. I think I will make a couple of raised beds for next year. I hope my plants turn out as nice as yours. Are you using any special type of fertilizer?

SV1000 said:
I don’t know what this plant is, I can’t think of anything that long and Serrano like, it might be a Billy Biker or Type M Jap.

4664045440_9daa867348_b.jpg

It looks like a Bulgarian Carrot.
Here are mine last season.

IMG_0019-1.jpg

It depends on where you got your plants / seeds from but your first mystery plant looks like a serrano to me, but it could be something like costeno amarillo or goats weed too. It will be a little easier to ID once it starts getting some pods on it.

Bummer about the Japs man, but your other plants are BEAUTIFUL man. They're super full and healthy looking. Love the pod pics!

chilehead70301 said:
Nice raised beds and great looking plants. I think I will make a couple of raised beds for next year. I hope my plants turn out as nice as yours. Are you using any special type of fertilizer?

Thanks for the kind words....I started out with Miracle Grow and once I put them outside I used Osmocote.

Geosojda said:
wow things are looking great there! no idea what the mistery plant is but those are fun to have sometimes, made you can figure it out once you get pods. I say put those little guys up, you'll probably have pods soon

Thank you...I would not have so many "mystery plants" if I took better notes. For the life of me I have no idea how I made it through college. I will pot up this weekend.

Josh,

I think you are right on the money, I had *1* Bulgarian Carrot that was in a Folgers container in an earlier photo. I guess I put it in the raised bed a while back. :D

Josh said:
It looks like a Bulgarian Carrot.
Here are mine last season.

IMG_0019-1.jpg

Amazing how mother nature can wreck a garden so quickly...we had a steady hard rain all day and all I was thinking about was the Dixie cup plants floating in the tub, completely free from the cheap soil and my jon boat filling up with water and capsizing. When I got home I was really sick, every plant except for the caged tomato's were lying flat on the dirt or overhanging the sides of the raised beds and the boat was underwater. :(

I worked quickly to cut some stakes and carefully picked up each plant and staked them as best as I could. Lesson for next year, stake 'em when they are young!!!

This shot is after I picked them up; I tried to make the best of it and took some photos. I should have grabbed my macro lens but it was overcast and light was fading so I opted to use the VR.

4667969742_172eede154_b.jpg

Fatali??? I sure hope so :D

4667969744_c9166a5eee_b.jpg

Sorry to hear about the storm. Hope your plants will do well. What am I saying? They're tough. They'll survive and do well.

Back