food The Drunken Chef

Nice TB!!!

My betty's about as black as yours!!!

Gonna have to compare pics soon!!

(but yours is a beaut!!!)

Cast iron should probably have it's own thread. Except for the most delicate of sauces, its all I use. Its solid, its healthy, and doggonit, people like it. On that particular CI I reckon I need another year before I get it where I want it to be, which is just like a black mirror and the ultimate non stick pan. Texas and SoFlo Forever!

Cast iron should probably have it's own thread. Except for the most delicate of sauces, its all I use. Its solid, its healthy, and doggonit, people like it. On that particular CI I reckon I need another year before I get it where I want it to be, which is just like a black mirror and the ultimate non stick pan. Texas and SoFlo Forever!

yea, CI should probably have it's own thread, That lil' skillet is lookin' good. {Isn't there already a CI thread started?? :?: If not, there should be!}

So what's up with that reference to SoFlo and Texass? "texas and SoFlo Forever"---How's your PA posse amigos gonna take to that? Or Alabama? Or the rest of the Southern Coast? Or the REST OF THE WEB?

:evil: stirring the pot :ohyeah:

I have a personal mission to permanently rescue the CI dutchie that I rescued and revived for a couple different TDs from my neighbor's back porch. That little piece of iron needs a permanent, loving, non-soapy, and greasy/heat-filled home!

TB's love affair with SoFlo is well documented. I don't hold it against him. Don't be surprised if pictures surface of him wandering around Miami drunk in a merkin.

I have a love affair with the Florida Keys and especially Marathon. Been there several times to flyfish for tarpon. SoFlo Posse is just another link in the connection whom I hope to one day fish with. On another note, you haven't lived until you have eaten the Lobster Rueben at Keys Fisheries or hand fed 150 pound tarpon at Robbie's.

Ok so after a week, I have decided to have a beer. Just so I can post here, since I have so many good eats tonight. Oh and I decided my C.I. needed a little love too.

000_0528.jpg

Biggest can of beer ever?

Ham steak with Dragonfire's 7-pot bbq sauce

100_9733.jpg

100_9734.jpg

Next up a Asian marinated top sirloin steak with a sweet/smokey/HOT rub including Buddy's Congo flakes.

100_9737.jpg

100_9738.jpg

100_9739.jpg

I can't just eat meat though so here are my veggies. A few habanero poppers.

000_0525.jpg

000_0530.jpg

000_0535.jpg

Outstanding compadre. I'll leave you to the ham but gimme' 'dem poppers. 5 is just about right. More than that on an empty stomach is doom!

Never seen Paulaner in a can, let alone Octoberfest. In the bottle its one of my favorite brewhaha's. Beer review of that?

Much lighter than what I am used to from Ocktoberfests. It had a great head, was very smooth and tasted great, but didn't have the bite.

I have a love affair with the Florida Keys and especially Marathon. Been there several times to flyfish for tarpon. SoFlo Posse is just another link in the connection whom I hope to one day fish with. On another note, you haven't lived until you have eaten the Lobster Rueben at Keys Fisheries or hand fed 150 pound tarpon at Robbie's.

This will happen.
Oh, it will.

Stone crab season just started, too.

Ok, so it all started with this

6b6c5619.jpg

A simple pot of water and a pinch of salt
6a07f050.jpg

Well actually it looked like this, this morning when I decided to make homemade Chicken Enchaladas

fda44bc3.jpg

Once the chicken wasn finished cooking I let it cool some in the stock then removed it and seperated it from the bone and shreded it.

fd1c7e2f.jpg

Next I made a homemade salsa of the fermented Habaneros and Jalapenos with some sweet onion, red onion and red, green and yellow bell pepper
add that to the chicken along with some Sharp Cheeder Cheese. You also want to bring the left over chicken broth back to a boil and allow it to reduce by half.

8e136bea.jpg

This is 3 eggs 2 Tbs Vegg Oil, 1 1/2 Cups Flour and 1 1/2 cups Milk basically a basic Crep batter

5ac22290.jpg

Over medimum heat brown one side

a0253208.jpg

then the other.

283f0ee6.jpg

To the broth now we want to add 1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder and 1 Teaspoon of Cummin.

db810013.jpg

Stay tuned.......RM

Once the Chicken stock is reduced add 1 pint of heavy cream and whisk it in

8ae50ad2.jpg

While that is reducing some more and getting happy together it's time to start filling creps
Place 1 crep on the board and place 1 scant cup of the filling to it

39aca3c3.jpg

Fold the bottom half over the top and pull it tight

0aa48d6c.jpg

Then roll it up

899fc634.jpg

and add it to a oiled cassarole

d43999f7.jpg

Now we need to make a Flour and water Slurry using 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup water to tighten up the sauce

f9ef0f95.jpg

e3fb6590.jpg

Cover the Enchaladas with sauce and some more Sharp Cheeder

6ce10d33.jpg

and into ta 350 degree over till it's bubbling and the cheese is golden

76dd77c1.jpg

Now cook some rice

46a1a532.jpg

Now the wait. Don't worry dinner is almost done.

See ya at the table
RM

Fresh from the oven

3ffbebcc.jpg

Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness

4d611907.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

eade7c96.jpg

Hope y'all ate well tonight, I'm stuffed. Now what's for dessert?

Cheers Y'all
RM

Mkay Rocket man,....
Now you've dun-gone and just pissed me off. WTF? Is there something in the southern hemisphere that evokes this from you?
I wonder how well you could be that creative, and make those kinds of tasties up here in say.... Twisp!
I know better than to click on anything "Rocketman" when it's just before dinner time!

All seriousness, RM you are an inspiration, and one of these days, I WILL drive my Caddilac to RM's house.... won't you be surprised to see me!

Scovie your always welcome! And FYI, I graduated High School from Wilson High in Tacoma and used to live with eye shot of Galloping Gurdie. Hommie!

Edit: Washington state is also where I also learned all about Cookin from the greatest chef I know. My mom who I will be dedicating my November TD entry to

Don't challenge him - it gets messy. Hey RM!!!!! Who knew??? T-town, seriously?!?! I did time near Portland Ave (can you say "Shalishan???? sp?) every summer with my greatest cooking inspiration - G'ma! Sat on her countertop as early as I can remember, watching her cook amazing food. Which leads me to the Nov. TD - I just can't figure out how to make "her" Sunday Dinner...with hot peppers. I'm so torn on how to be true to both. I'll probably not participate this time...BUT, I can't wait to see the entries!!! I wanna pick my fav, and try to replicate THAT ONE!!!!! You all inspire me on so many levels! (Ela - just made sum french bread cuzza U! Thanks Bakery Goddess!) k, gonna play with more food while SD takes over the computer again...he's vibrating with impatience! heh, heh....

Chile Juju's bread was AWESOME! Fresh baked, still warm out of the oven, didn't even add extra butter to it, it was THAT GOOD! And yes, alcohol was present during the baking of said bread.

Very nice RocketMan

Question about the slurry
Is there any raw flour taste?

I just made some soup that called for a flour/broth slurry and I ended up with a raw flour taste.
(I have only used corn starch and water in the past for slurry)

Back