food The Drunken Chef

salsadude just asked "is it 5:00 yet?" sheesh, I thought he knew better than to ask~ :lol: We're partying hard this weekend, cuz Monday is die-et time.

Hey BigCedar, you guys going anywhere today or just having a day at home?

geeme, bummer on the OJ, too much acid for you?
Nope. Unfortunately, developed an allergy to oranges a couple years ago. I used to guzzle OJ like it was water since I like it so much, but now, that would cause WAY too much grief. This developing allergies later in life thing sucks! But hey, the good thing is there are other juices I have no probs with - Nantucket Nectar's Pom Cherry juice is awesome on its own, AND an excellent mixer, for example.

Big C, get your drink on!!

SL, Same Smoked congo powder went into our bird.... Buddy's?

OK I need a smoke....

688ccdac.jpg

b091cceb.jpg

409f405d.jpg

Yes TB! Bacon....

ea062b0f.jpg

But hey, the good thing is there are other juices I have no probs with - Nantucket Nectar's Pom Cherry juice is awesome on its own, AND an excellent mixer, for example.
OOOooo! that would be good with rum or vodka!

Scovie- YUP on the congos! Nice Trussing!

Geesh, Scovie...... most of us just pull the cork out. How'd you do that?

Find the seem on the bottle, pull all of the labeling off, and slide the back of a heavy knife down the seem onto the rim of the bottle, quickly and forcefully, (think chopping kindling).
That one was cool because the neck stayed on the cork, pretty rare that happens...

Try it!

OK, more drinking, Turkey comes out in 2 more hours.... more drinkin

near disaster averted-

I decided to transfer the turkey to the oven to get it cooking properly at 325F. The bird still had to set up top of the gravy juice.

Here it is on the counter,
06ae52ee.jpg

When moving it all down to the oven, the turkey started to slide off the pan, so I dropped everything onto the oven door and caught the turkey before it slid onto the floor. The gravy juice spilled onto the oven door and my leg. It wasn't that hot as it had only been in the ~250F smoker. Looks like these are a write-off-
c18cfb91.jpg

finally got it all back into the oven.
0c22951b.jpg

64b707f7.jpg

2:30 pm local time and I'm DONE! :woohoo:

eef63534.jpg

ea55f681.jpg

Planned on making potatoes, and green beans, bagged it as we weren't all that hungry.

So we had pear wood smoked turkey, stuffing, gravy and (off camera) dinner rolls.
903bf2f8.jpg

and the best part----LEFTOVERS!!!!!
c2bb36ec.jpg

Dude is snoozing and the kid is in his room blasting techno-rock. It's a good day. :cool:

ps- forgot to add- I got a High-5 from honey, he said it was the best tasting, most tender turkey he's ever tasted. ANd I gotta admit, it was the most tender white meat I've ever tasted also. Just follow the recipe/procedure in the link I posted. It works!

Love the brown on that bird, SL! And really glad the disaster (and a trip to ER) was averted.

Scovie - Next time any of us need a turkey boned, we'll know who to call. Plane ticket's in the mail!

geeme where's your grub? i know you have something creative concocted.

I'm so impressed with that bird that now I'm thinking of doing it for Christmas, at the in-law's in Oregon. Don't know if they would appreciate the smoke though, plus, prime rib is a lot easier. And Safer. :lol:

My daughter's at her BF's family's today, but will be here tomorrow, so we're doing Thanksgiving then. Dinner will be simple, just roasted cider-brined turkey and roasted veggies, but dessert should look (and taste) fantabulous. If I don't mess it up, I'll post pics.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! He is soooo into the turkey-coma on the couch right now!!!!! But I know he got some great pics, and as soon as he wakes back up, he'll be here! 'Twas the best Thanksgiving feast we've ever had!!!!

I'm gonna put finishing touches on dessert...

...and find something that goes with 7-up! ;)

what is it with men and turkey and sleep?!?!??? It's like they have this built in sleep button that everytime they eat turkey they go to sleep! My Honey didn't even do the full-on pork out feast, just a little turkey, stuffing and gravy!
:rolleyes:

Thanks geeme

I know about the tryptophan and all that, but I'm up, CJ's up...what's with the MEN that have to sleep????

and I started drinkin before HE did! :crazy:

aw, well... I just got done with the first serving of LEFTOVERS! with a generous splash of smoked habanero-pear hot sauce. YUM!

Back