food The Drunken Chef

From what I gather, Wheebz might be a little more "grizzly" than Sum.

Advantage Wheebz.
Bear's been known to hump a leg or two. Stay tuned.

Drank enough to convince myself this would be okay. It's Gado Gado, which is basically a salad with peanut sauce.

Ingredients pictured include 4 carrots, celery, cucumber, cabbage (shredded), jalapenos, bean sprouts (bagged), galangal, Ale for the cook to get out of the way before moving on to the tastier Anchor Bock, and rum and limes for the photographers Mojitos. Ingredients not pictured include onion, crunchy peanut butter, cumin, peanuts, brown sugar, water, peanut oil, salt, red chili powder (I think I used Barker's XXX hot), and whatever else I forgot.

IMG1_572jmkqj50.jpg

Julienned carrots, celery, and shredded cabbage go into steamer for a few minutes:

IMG2_kwz2t8a9lj.jpg

Bock break:

IMG1b_krj995g9yv.jpg

Preparing to start the sauce:

IMG3_o2bt3o2jgq.jpg

Sauce involves a bit of oil in a sauce pan and lightly sauteeing the onion. Then a teaspoon of cumin, a small piece of grated galangal, a teaspoon of chili powder, and a teaspoon of brown sugar get tossed in before adding four tablespoons of peanut butter, a bit of salt, and reducing heat. Warm water gets mixed in to thin it all out.

Drunken fumble of brown sugar:

IMG4_6x9tei6nmw.jpg

Not quite ready to eat yet so kill a few more:

IMG1A_fal2y9npde.jpg

Final steps include more julienning (poor choice when drinking) half a cucumber, slicing and frying some onion to top it with, slicing some fresh pepper for topping, and chopping some peanuts for topping... but I was sick of chopping so no chopped peanuts. Bean sprouts get piled into a dish, then cucumbers, then steamed carrots/celery/cabbage. Everything gets a bit of peanut sauce tossed in then it gets thrown on a plate, topped with more sauce and nuts, peppers, and onions. It sort of looks like this when finished:

IMG666_7nslq47q5m.jpg

It was... okay I guess. No match for the pineapple coconut curry I made tonight but decent for being intoxicated and having no prior experience with Gado Gado. GF wanted something "light" and this probably qualified.

That is an awesome post Dork. The inclusion of the spill pic is one not often seen on this forum even though every post in this thread could include one. A pure veggie dish in DC is another rarity. Thus far you are WINNING like charlie sheen.

LOL TB...

That is fantastic, FD and Sum! CJ makes Hoppin John every New Year. S'posed to bring properity in the new year.
And who would have thought Mason jars would be good for anything other than HHHHWhiskey?

Hahahahaha Dork! Brown Sugar Party Foul! That is the true essence of the Drunken Chef!
Good lookin salad, CJ would be aaaaaaalllllllllllll over that!

I see the food, i see the alcohol.

What i don't see is a vessel filled with alcohol that one drinks from! Thsi is teh dranken chef yeh?!!

If you drink out of the bottle then shame shame on me....

I see the food, i see the alcohol.

What i don't see is a vessel filled with alcohol that one drinks from! Thsi is teh dranken chef yeh?!!

If you drink out of the bottle then shame shame on me....
yea i was drinking out of the bottle...:)
ill post with nxt time wit in my hand sorry bout that

Now according to my mom the first thing that a good Texas chef learns to cook is what I fixing tonight cause I am in serious need of some good ole country cookin. So in honor of Texas and our estemed member from that great state that stared this thread I'm calling tonights menu

TB's Heartattack On A Plate

It starts off like this

"OOOOooooo Black Betty Bam-A-Lam"

9d1fcc61.jpg

088b8159.jpg

Then leads into a little of this

544462db.jpg

e6251a42.jpg

And you just HAVE to have some of This

2920162d.jpg

Now that's chopped up Hab's and Jap's
39d1f6d7.jpg

And it all comes out sumtin like this. DAMN, a Jerry and Coke went good with it!

90cc5d06.jpg

35c5e0df.jpg

d2299af2.jpg

Yes Grandma, them steaks were fried in Bacon grease.

Now I gotta grab my Bass and it's off the rehersal

RM, Peace Out!

I am honored sir by your hot blue and righteous post. CFS in bacon grease in cast iron with smashed tates, cream gravy, and hotness is the melody for a Texan Love song. It's swingin' like Bob Will's and The Texas Playboys!

I simply cannot post the words that came out of my mouth when I saw that.
It started with, "Holy!".……………expletives deleted…………… and ended with "DAMN!"

Suffice it to say, that looks really, really, REALLY good, sir!

RM, man that’s awesome, I love the way that looks plated. I made chicken fried chicken and waffles last night and my gravy ain’t noth’n like yours. Well done sir.

So here is my chicken fried chicken and waffles, from last night, and yes there is maple syrup and butter on that waffle.

Waffle ingredients
IMG_0521.jpg

Chicken, spices, egg bath, flour with spices for dredge.
IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Chicken and waffles is an awesome combination of flavor, you have sweetens and butter from the waffle, salty and spicy from the chicken and gravy, and sour and spicy from the hot sauce. The thought came to me to add sausage to the gravy and topping it all off with two sunny side up eggs, but decided on dessert instead.
Waffle with sea salt caramel gelato, drizzled with homemade chocolate sauce
IMG_0573.jpg

Back