food The Drunken Chef

Kuhn-Rikon delivery courtesy of FedEx ...

Pork butt, sliced ham, a couple different kinds of pickles, some el cheapo mustard, not traditional Cuban-style rolls, and something unique to give it a little "spin, spin, sugar"...

Looking forward to trying pressure cooking, but first, alkohol-fueled cad work ...

dang it scov,i love that song. one of my favs. thanks for putting that up there. im putting in the born for trouble album right now!

im feeling real hungry. for starters some slaw,and those beans will get baked.

IMAG0404.jpg

and 3 hams

IMAG0405.jpg

looking forward to pressure cooking some pork butt and making something cubanesque later on ... even though i forgot swiss at the store earlier ...

for now, though, 7 pot douglah makhani curry w/ a little rice and another caravello/vodka/licor43 concoction while i wrap my real work for the weekend ...

cf0ed7d2.jpg

Been drankin', still drankin', gonna be drankin' some mo' ...

Can someone, anyone tell me how many cups of water to put in the pressure cooker w/ this 4 lb pork butt ...

I've seen recipes that call for either 2 cups or that it be just submerged ... that's a big F'n diff!

gm

G-mike.... juss put some sheeeeeit in ther an liht it UPPP!!!!

1 cup wine 2 cups watter, who cares? ahhhhhahahahahahahahahah

ahm drunkfting.

GM - you can try a "recipe".....but you won't trust it anyway.

Do your thang! Sum says those things have 2347 safety mechanisms...you'll be FINE!!!!!!!

Trust your gut - then go from there. Start small...miss small! (ooops...I might have mis-quoted that a little....) teehee!!!!

GM - I'd go with two cups and let it go for about an hour and a half. Don't worry about browning the meat prior to putting it under pressure. Just throw that thing in there all spiced up, add the water, and bring it up to pressure on med-high (should take 7-10 minutes). Once at pressure, bring the temp down a little below med. Start your kitchen timer. You're too low if you stop hearing the steam venting. I think you can figure it out from there. Read the instructions that came with it!!! Good luck.

GM - I'd go with two cups and let it go for about an hour and a half. Don't worry about browning the meat prior to putting it under pressure. Just throw that thing in there all spiced up, add the water, and bring it up to pressure on med-high (should take 7-10 minutes). Once at pressure, bring the temp down a little below med. Start your kitchen timer. You're too low if you stop hearing the steam venting. I think you can figure it out from there. Read the instructions that came with it!!! Good luck.

I rarely disagree with you Sum but I think searing the meat and putting a bit of crust on it contributes heavily to the flavor prior to either going in the pressure cooker, crock pot, or dutch oven.

If time is not a factor I highly recommend it.

Then again, the whole point of a pressure cooker, other than for canning purposes, is to speed up the cooking process.

My family is a bunch of bo-hunk hungarians.

Ma used to use the pressure cooker for stuffed cabbages.

No searing involved there.

Good Gawd' that stuff was good.

I agree with searing for the crockpot and dutch oven. I've done it both ways with the pressure cooker. It might just be my imagination, but I feel like the spice blend penetrates further into the meat when it's not seared... only in a pressure cooker.

Muchas Gracias to you all for weighing in ...

I've just returned from mom's house after backwashing her clogged A/C drain so she can have A/C tonight ... yay!

So, it's time to pour a cocktail and start working on something Cuban-inspired ...

I think I'll give it a little brown - f**k it - and then plop it in w/ 2 cups and some ghost pepper seasoning and maybe a little sompin' sompin' ...

Late night pork fest time, hopefully it'll end up close enough to a Cuban, otherwise I'll just DC it and take a stab at the Cubanesque Media Noche like I'd planned ...

the question is whether I can spoof media noche bread w/ doctored challah or something, it's not generally available here (I don't think) ...

Sum ~ the non seared more penetrated spice blend hot beef injection theory I reckon does have some merit.

I ain't about to get all scientificated on it though.

I'm a simple man.

And gettin' my wine on.

It's a special non-ambien night tonight.

GM ~ sear, don't sear. Add wine, no wine.

It's pork.

Pressure cooked.

FAIL is impossible.

im feeling real hungry. for starters some slaw,and those beans will get baked.

Looks very nice the ham!
omg your family must be HUGE!! alot of beans my friend!

Brazilian sicman is back on action!!
ohhh yeah!!
a very simple but good food!
made some Mehchi Mahfuf today! Here we like alot arabian food! this is one the easier!
ground beef, rice, garlic, peppermint, salt and some olive oil, mix all on a bowl, then just rolling marijuana on cabbage! and cook!
DSC00633.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

I have to save shots for the real sammy thread post, but ...

96b626ae.jpg

6a995280.jpg

96fa922d.jpg

a little apricot and a little pod action in some Licor 43 and pork fat and butter ...

fun fact: i've never used a pressure cooker, i've never cooked pork butt, i've never used smoked paprika, i've never heated apricot, i've never cooked w/ licor 43, and in fact, i've never made anything even resembling a Cuban sandwich before ... which means this will be interesting to say the least ...

Back