food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

Carnita's.

So damn good.

Myself, I abandoned bbq sauce a long time ago.

99% of the time if the meat needs bbq sauce, it ain't worth eatin' to begin with.

I reserve the other 1% for leftover prime rib.

Sliced thin and with grilled onions done altogether in a cast iron skillet..

Can make even crappy bbq sauce taste good.

Even Cattlemen's.

But I'm a bitch ass snob too.

It's not BBQ sauce. I should know I sent it to him. :D

I make my own bbq sauce from ketchup, spices , brown sugar and reduced fruits like cherries. 

texas blues said:

Sent what to whom?

He sent me the jaks winter cinnamon which was a hot sauce but I think you was referring to my comment about drowning some in bbq for pulled pork

Yeah no need for BBQ sauce. I like a really hot... hot sauce, straight pepper sauce, no fruit or anything. Like a good reaper or hab sauce, dabbed on the top of a slider bun, and pickles. That's how I like pulled pork. But I like a mound of pulled pork under it, on the slider bun. Just meat! Can't stand when a place mixes the pork in sauce, or even simmers it in it. Usually that's to reheat it and deal with dry meat anyway. And the sugary American-style BBQ sauce just covers up the flavors of the meat. Just my opinion. You spend 10 hours or whatever on a cook you want to taste it... not a condiment. Hot sauce for heat and a little tang... that's my jam.

Now let's see these carnitas or pulled pork tacos!!!!!!!!!

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah no need for BBQ sauce. I like a really hot... hot sauce, straight pepper sauce, no fruit or anything. Like a good reaper or hab sauce, dabbed on the top of a slider bun, and pickles. That's how I like pulled pork. But I like a mound of pulled pork under it, on the slider bun. Just meat! Can't stand when a place mixes the pork in sauce, or even simmers it in it. Usually that's to reheat it and deal with dry meat anyway. And the sugary American-style BBQ sauce just covers up the flavors of the meat. Just my opinion. You spend 10 hours or whatever on a cook you want to taste it... not a condiment. Hot sauce for heat and a little tang... that's my jam.

Now let's see these carnitas or pulled pork tacos!!!!!!!!!

That's tomorrow, I think he said ...

The Hot Pepper said:
Sweet!

Glad you like that sauce.

Yea surprisingly I think I like it the best out the bunch and I had assumed it was going to be the other way around. The Caribbean jerk and cinnamon aren't over powering and it has a respectable heat. Would make a damn fine wing sauce. 

The lil pork shoulder all ready to go into the smoker. Using my favorite pryex dish to wifeys dismay (always use it in the smoker) I added some more pequins for TB

Peachwood smelling up the neighborhood, got the electric meter readers tummy all growling when he peaked over the fence with binoculars 

%snow

grantmichaels said:
They used to do that here, too! ...

Now we have smart meters ... which are kind of controversial ...

Looking forward to seeing your cook, though ...

Well shit... ran out of gas... Guess it's going into the oven earlier than planned. Hopefully it got enough smoke flavor :( 

I've pulled w/ 90-100 min of smoke before and had it come out w/ some grill taste ...

If I'm not mistaken, the meat taken more smoke while it's still wet - so, earlier than later ...

At this point you can't worry about smoke flavor, just cooking it right for tenderness. Still follow the same rules and it will pull apart nicely and be juicy.

The Hot Pepper said:
At this point you can't worry about smoke flavor, just cooking it right for tenderness. Still follow the same rules and it will pull apart nicely and be juicy.

I can always toss some woodchips in the oven.... mmmmm smokey

Don't Jaytee it!!

jayt_oven_fire.gif

Back