food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

Last one's from the rib roast beef ... w/ Benton's bacon fat magic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433383212.274460.jpg

Tacos and hard root beer this week, apparently ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433383250.624063.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433383272.458326.jpg

Searzall night ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433383280.175737.jpg

Off the block - for life, now ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433383306.660512.jpg

I snapped them folded tonight ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433383370.230808.jpg

Smoke Canyon, yo ...

Yeah I love simple when you can coax flavors and cobine with the right textures for the right bite. Tacos are great because you get all that in every bite.

I wish we had some real Mexican food around here.  Nuffin but Tex-Mex.  In fact if not for THP land I wouldn't have had an interest in finding out what real Mexican food was let alone cooking it!

I showed some pics from here to friends today and it had the same effect it always does.  It made them hungry and interested in other food types. :woohoo:

Al pastor, carne enchilada, carnitas... all good pork styles for tacos.
Tinga is a good chicken taco.
Or bistec, carne asada, or fish tacos. Let's see some more!!!!

;)  Will do

I'm kinda infatuated with Mexican food right now. 

Oh hail yeah on the Tinga.  That might be in the works for dinner.  I just brought a whole chicken and have no real plans for it yet.

Yeah tinga rocks. Makes a good burrito too.

Chicken Tinga Tacos....

shredded chicken, lime juice marinated jalas and onion, fresh tomato, chipotle creama

2i8c2f7.jpg

Not so in focus bite, had the entire weekend off so I consumed more than more normally allotted beer quota.  :)

24l5wmu.jpg

grantmichaels said:
I've never heard of tinga until you guys started talking about it earlier this weekend ... what is the seasoning like for the chicken? ...

Grills been going all weekend, so I roasted up some peppers and a cut up chicken on Friday.  Used my 'smoke & fire' rub on the bird and then pulled it all once it came off the heat.  Used the bones and trimmings to make a stock with some dried anchos, some onion & carrot and some of my roasted tomato salsa - reduced it down by a little more than half and then strained it and mixed that into the pulled chicken.  Gave it a taste - hit it with a lil sea salt and a touch of El Capitan - and it was in my wheelhouse.  Froze about a pound for an easy meal next week and the kids and I ate most of the rest tonight.  Been a wonderful weekend of food/fire/fucting around in the SnF household.  :D 

I tasted all of of the powders earlier, so I have a better basis now when you mention one =)

That looks really tasty, and the crab cakes you posted in the other thread looked bomb, too.

Good times, thanks for being a part of so much tasty this weekend on this end, too. The El Capitan and Hot Curry Blend were both stellar.

Deathtosnails said:
I wish we had some real Mexican food around here.  Nuffin but Tex-Mex.  In fact if not for THP land I wouldn't have had an interest in finding out what real Mexican food was let alone cooking it!

Ive had the same interest for the same reason... i will be trying Conchinita Pibil soon, its been on my to do list for a while.... would never have heard of it if not for this site.

If you have trouble finding latin groceries, we have a couple im familiar with out my way... they are a little expensive.... but they are more or less small independants and its a high cost to import products. Thats said some of their stuff is far cheaper than it was just a few years ago and most importantly they sell the dried chillies needed for latin american cooking.

Anyhoo have a squiz if you're interested.

http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/
http://www.tierraslatinasenaustralia.com/

Almost the same taco as last time.  Same flavours but more contrasting textures.

Slow cooked pork belly in chicken stock with lime zest and garlic for 2 hours.  Had the finished stock as soup with some chilli and lime juice. 
Fried the pork belly in its own fat until really crispy.

Coriander (cilantro), chunky guac (avacado, lime juice sea salt and cracked black pepper), pork belly, hot taco sauce and finely diced red onion on a mini white corn tortilla.
P6132298_zps4cszosls.jpg

I had 4 of these for brunch.

P6132299_zpssn3iwjgp.jpg

Back