• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Detroit-style pizza, a descendent of Sicilian-style pizza, traces its roots to one man Gus Guerra. In 1946, Gus owned what was then a neighborhood bar, Buddys Rendezvous, when he decided he needed something new for the menu. He enlisted the help of his wife, Anna, who borrowed a dough recipe from her Sicilian mother. The Sicilian dough, topped with cheese and tomato sauce, would become the model for pizza in Detroit.

The key ingredient in a proper Detroit-style pizza isnt something you eat its the pan. The key characteristics of the pizza the soft and airy square crust, the crunchy exterior, the caramelized cheese that edges the pizza are all due to the deep pans in which the pizzas are baked. The pans are a thick steel pan that are more similar to a cast iron skillet than a cake pan. Legend has it that Gus got his initial batch of pans from a friend who worked in a factory that used the pans for spare parts. Detroiters have been fighting for corner slices ever since.

Quite a few pizzas from the other night.

Margarhita

SDC12175.JPG

SDC12176.JPG

Salami and Mushroom

SDC12178.JPG

SDC12179.JPG

Ham and Pineapple

SDC12180.JPG

BBQ Chicken and Potato

SDC12182.JPG

SDC12184.JPG

Cheese and Vegemite

SDC12185.JPG

Dessert

SDC12186.JPG

SDC12188.JPG

Good Gawd' y'all!

Boom jump back and kiss yo'sef 2X.

I haven't eaten pizza in a while but those are lookin' killer!

I could mao mao that whole margerita while free falling from 14,000 feet.

Topo Gigio style.

Technically not a margherita, margherita is tomato, "fresh" mozz, basil. But lookin' good.

Well technically, you are incorrect also THP.  Margherita is actually, fresh mozzarella, tomato, and torn basil.

Wow, what a wonderful thread! Do you guys bake the crust first then top again? I like thin pizza so I find that if I set the oven to 500 the I get a good fast cook without having to bake twice. I would like to try it on the grill though.

Here's a few of mine:

Dough - prepare wet and dry separately then combine and mix until you get dough.
Dry - 1 3/4 cup flour, pinch of salt, liberal Mrs Dash (usually tomato/basil)
Wet - 3/4 cup warm water, packet of yeast, teaspoon honey, splash of milk

Sauce (we use pasta sauce), bacon, mozz and a little grated cheddar for zing:
9041609318_6dcf86efe2_z.jpg
9039385649_e9ec8eda4b_z.jpg

Fresh tomatoes, Camembert, mozz and some basil oil (blend basil with EVOO)
9039383241_b619e2b2e3_z.jpg

Sorry for the blur but I don't have a better shot - white sauce, mushrooms, mozz
9041604390_ee9f11abd8_z.jpg

I made a couple of amoeba (or as Sum would say "Artisan") pizzas tonight.  Italian marinated chicken breast with shitakke mushrooms, spinach, and sundried tomato alfredo sauce, and marinara, mozza, and pepperoni.

100_1788.JPG

100_1789.JPG

100_1790.JPG

100_1792.JPG

100_1793.JPG

Anybody using a steel plate to bake your pizzas on? Im using one and at 525 one hour preheat while using the broiler of my oven can cook a pie in 3 mins.

Back