• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

SL- If I were to tweak it any, I think I'd make a whole new pizza. I'm thinkin' a deep dish (CI style... the best) Texas Creek BBQ Sauce chicken pizza.

That sauce was GEWD!!!
-----------
btw- TB's tomfoolerishesnessh is good on EVERY occasion!

Thanks for that on the bbq sauce. That does sound guuud. I think we'll do pizza Saturday. Give the kid something to do other than Wiiiiiii. :lol:

TB just ain't posting as much tomfoolerishesnessh lately, gotta keep that hot new body looking good~ ;)

Much obliged geeme. Holding rock steady at 165. Reckon its time to cheat with some SoFlo style pizza this weekend. I think so. Cracker style or focaccia I can't decide.

Ahem.... TD this weekend, TB. Tell me you aren't weezling out of it for a pizza! Of course, since THP graciously agreed to start today so a few could get in, no reason you can't do the TD and pizza......

And congrats on holding steady - maybe you can pose yourself into some of your thread pics again. :)
I managed to put a few back on over the holidays, but will now return to my formerly-disciplined self - no more douglah cookies for me, but d*mn they were good!

Ahem.... TD this weekend, TB. Tell me you aren't weezling out of it for a pizza! Of course, since THP graciously agreed to start today so a few could get in, no reason you can't do the TD and pizza......

And congrats on holding steady - maybe you can pose yourself into some of your thread pics again. :)
I managed to put a few back on over the holidays, but will now return to my formerly-disciplined self - no more douglah cookies for me, but d*mn they were good!

Good news bad news here...might have to skip this t-down and the pizza, no weasling...today is mrs. blues last day at her job and we're packin' this weekend for TEXAS BABEEEEEEE! She's going down ahead of moi to check out some job prospects. First stop....DFW! I myself can't split the dry ditch scene until march. BAH!

Good news bad news here...might have to skip this t-down and the pizza, no weasling...today is mrs. blues last day at her job and we're packin' this weekend for TEXAS BABEEEEEEE! She's going down ahead of moi to check out some job prospects. First stop....DFW! I myself can't split the dry ditch scene until march. BAH!

Good for you TB, know you been dyin to get back, best of luck.

Hope I don't get DQ'd from this "Scratch made pizzas only" thread, but Scratch was busy, so we made the pizza ourselves.
23ee98c3.jpg

The basics- yeast, flour, salt, sugar, evoo- mix-raise-etc
cb2247fc.jpg

ea873de4.jpg

290ce01c.jpg

Mini crusts-sauce and cheese- pepperoni
5d5cde8d.jpg

74ad5871.jpg

7d9fb482.jpg

The crust was a little thick, but it still cooked. More like a deep dish crust, but very tender and yummy. Red Blend sprinkles for the Big Dawgs-
d5b51a15.jpg

f4ac47c7.jpg

thanks, guys and Lizzie. Salsakid was behind this one. He'd had them at the grandparents house, but they were store-bought. He says these were much better! Pretty easy also.

Next time I think we'll make more of an effort to get the crust really thin. It cooked up nice and was tender, not gooey at all. But I'd like to try for a THIN-crust mini pizza.

SoFlo gonna bring some shromps pizza??? :)

So some cheese, salted spinach, BT.Scorp, bottled jalapenos, Parmesan, mushrooms, lots of pepper pepper and maybe other stuff lol

jan2011pizza030.jpg

Last layer

jan2011pizza033.jpg

Last time I tried my pizza stone on the Weber, the thing cracked into two pieces. It was a pampered chef stone, and I've since read that they weren't made for the intense heat of a charcoal fire. I've since gotten a thicker one from Chefs and it appears to be more up to the task, but the last few pizzas I've done went directly on the grill rack. That seems to work pretty well, but doesn't seem very authentic, and doesn't give me much practice in developing mad peel skills. I've learned that proper handling of really thin dough on a peel is much harder than you think it will be, even if you have plenty of flour and/or corn meal dusting the peel. Where it usually goes wrong is that first flick of the wrist that results in about half the toppings going onto the stone, and a wadded up dough disk sitting half on the stone and half on the grate!

This being the end of the holiday season, SoFlo decided to put extra care into the crafting of this jewel of a pizza. And since nothing says "I love you" more than an oven fired pizza, we busted out the Weber and the charcoal... for you

Timmmmmmy, great job on the veggie pizza! I'd take a slice, but the kid saw the 'shrooms and took off. :lol:

Midwest, using the peel is taking it to the next level. I think we all need one of these-
http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/project-sunsets-classic-adobe-oven-00400000012056/

The mini-pizzas were originally intended as a trial run for a b-day party with the intention that when the rest of the kids were over, we'd do it as a group project.... but when the b-day rolled around, the kids were much more interested in WIIIiiiiii ....and chocolate cake! :cool:

The 'Kid enjoyed making the mini's and that's the important part for now. We'll do it again, more cheese...more pepperoni... MMMmmmmmm

it's all good!

I agree, SL. I've read that article several times and salivated over the possibilities. It's on my list. Right after building the deck and an outdoor kitchen . . .

Midwest, using the peel is taking it to the next level. I think we all need one of these-
http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/project-sunsets-classic-adobe-oven-00400000012056/

Back