• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Thank you thank you. It was awesome! My favorite thing to do with leftover smoked pork!!
Great thread TB, look forward to contributing again! Great pics courtesy of SUMBITS and his million-dollar camera. The beer-dough was great. First time using the recipe, and I know I'll use it again.

Speaking of beer....

all great looking pizzas! if I make a pizza it'll be with premade sauce & dough, its just too much work making those items from scratch.

Heads up.

The DOH! is rising.

Got some madness about to share with the masses.

A bit of a weather disturbance in Miami might screw up my internets, but we'll get it out there.

FD

Just popped a High Life Light, the light champagne of beers, because this is my 500th post.
That might not sound like a lot to some of you, but if you go back and look at how awesome each one was, it's an unparalleled accomplishment.

So, we decided to make "Jalapeno-Popper-Stuffed-Crust Buffalo Chicken Pizza" to celebrate the occasion.
We picked some Aji Lemons and Dorset Nagas from the garden, and made two ranch dipping sauces, one highlighting each pepper.

Now, making pizza is simple. Make a dough, we use a beer dough. Slap on some sauce and toppings. Onto a peel, onto a stone, into the oven. Enjoy.
Sometimes even the best chef runs into complications, even (admittedly) the Soflo folks.
Down here we have a word for what happens when:
1. The dough takes over an hour to rise, so you
2. Drink too many Miller High Life Lights, making it
3. Difficult to remember how to assemble a pizza, which makes you
4. forget to use the peel, and the assembled pizza sticks to the counter and screws everything up so you bust out all of your spatulas and cookie sheets to keep the fucking thing together but it ultimately ends up half on the stone, and half on the floor of the oven, but you are cautiously optimistic that you can pull this thing out because, after all, you are a Soflo posse member (stay strong, deep breath)

...and that word is ARTISAN!!!!

Here is our Artisan buffalo chicken pizza with popper stuffed crust.
It was a major crap storm, but it actually tasted really good.

Ingreds.
IMG_2595.jpg

Stuffin The Crust (Slappin The Bass)
IMG_2596.jpg

So promising at this point. Note the absence of the peel. Don't know what we were thinking we could do with the cookie sheet and wax paper.
IMG_2597.jpg

ARTISANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_2600.jpg

How Rustic!!!
IMG_2599.jpg

I loaded Sum's piece with Man Gravy. Don't tell my wife.
IMG_2603.jpg

Good Times!!!!
-SoFlo pizza artisans

Whoooooa drool all over the place nice work Frydad, I have got to make a pizza too soon but making the dough hmmmm what would Confucius do?

Good 'Gawd! Jump back and kiss yo' 'sef 2 times! Popper stuffed crust lovin abomination is what it is! I'd give myself a facial with that funky goodness of a pie! Killermanjaro I sez!! Gimme' that 'thang!

SoFlo Posse definitely re-learned some essential pizza making basics that we had down-pat two years ago.
Too much celebrating the 500th post with beer-pagne and breaking things to realize we were doing something crazy. I think I even pounded a gallon of milk somewhere in this process.

FD did mention that a previous pie was made this eve, but forgot to mention that the burnt cornmeal still on the stone was brushed off the stone and onto the floor of the oven. (This process of brushing cornmeal onto the oven floor was actually performed twice.)

Folks, this Artisan buffalo chicken and blue cheese pizza w/ man-Ranch was double cornmeal SMOKED!

SoFlo Posse definitely re-learned some essential pizza making basics that we had down-pat two years ago.
Too much celebrating the 500th post with beer-pagne and breaking things to realize we were doing something crazy. I think I even pounded a gallon of milk somewhere in this process.

FD did mention that a previous pie was made this eve, but forgot to mention that the burnt cornmeal still on the stone was brushed off the stone and onto the floor of the oven. (This process of brushing cornmeal onto the oven floor was actually performed twice.)

Folks, this Artisan buffalo chicken and blue cheese pizza w/ man-Ranch was double cornmeal SMOKED!
SURELY A NEW ART FORM HAS ARISIEN ANEW! I;M ON AMBIEN MOJOFICTATION, SHCRUMPY!! ALLOW ME TO 86 MY SEOFNOW! ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

SUMBITS GREAT IDEA.

Allright here we go. After watching our teams take a mouth-fisting from in-state rivals on college football, we decided to make a pizza.
Sum said, "Hey Man, lets throw as much stuff as we can in dat dere cast iron skilley"
Read this whole thread. This thing was incredible.
Wifey made some dough. We went to the store.
Beer pizza dough. Garlic/Green Onion butter. Freshly Sliced Tomatoes. Green onions. The first level of our awesome pizza.
IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Added a layer of Mozzarella Cheese and some Sliced Pastrami, and some chopped marinated artichokes
IMG_2903.jpg

Covered the top with sliced Pepperoni. Mixed 2 cups of Colby Jack with cream cheese and spread that on top. Some green onions. Some chopped ham.
IMG_2909.jpg

Sauteed Mushrooms and Sliced Poblanos.
IMG_2910.jpg

Another layer of cheese, and some homemade meatballs
IMG_2911.jpg

Charred some fingerhots, placed them nicely across the top. Into the oven for a long-ass time.
IMG_2914.jpg

The finished Product. Enjoy. We did!!!
IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

Another round of gluttony from the Soflo posse.

FD

FD.....

Not sure that's a pizza.....

In fact,that thing may defy any description!!!

But it IS awesome.....in a whole new way!! :clap:

Back