• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Cheers everyone :)

It tasted so good its going to be a regular for the fam's but I'll have to leave out the scorp's and I have to say that pepper worked perfectly with the spinach. Spinach on pizza sounds nasty but as long as its dry and on the base mixed in with cheese it will be a winner.

lol I cooked pizza three nights in a row this week, for anyone that hasn't tried making your own give it a go its so worth it.

jan2011pizza040.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm I want another pizza

I did pizza for the superbowl. I just knew I was going to get it right this time and have some great pics to share, but alas, I screwed it up again. My wife talked me in to using her new gas grill. I was cooking right on the grate with no stone. Too hot. Burned the crust and had undercooked cheese and toppings. One of these days I will get it right. I have found Pizza the hardest thing to do well. Kudos to those of you who have figured it out.

So I says to myself, I says, "Why doesn't anyone on THP make their own pizza??"

C'mon everyone. Make a damn pie!!! It's just like Drunken Chef, except you put it in the pizza place.
In fact, everything soflo does is exactly like drunken chef.
Oh well.

Tonight, we feature two of our favorite THP members, Salsalady and Rocketman.

We had a shit-ton (which should be a standardized measurement) of sliced BBQ pork left.

My kids got me a pizza stone just for my Weber Charcoal grill for Fathers day. Had to try it out.
So, I decided to have Sum over so I could get debaucherous and forget about my fatherly duties for a little while (the wife's gotta do SOMETHING!!).

BBQ Pizza featuring Salsalady's Texas Creek Hot BBQ sauce.
Dough, SL Sauce, BBQ Pork, Cheese.
Slap that bitch on the stone till done.
Top with Rocketman's Jamaican Hot Sauce.
Oh, a squirt of lime and a pinch of salt too. Try it!!
Amazing!

SoFlo FoSho.

Ingreds.
IMGP2039.jpg

On the stone, on the grill.
IMGP2045.jpg

I think I'm in there somewhere!
IMGP2047.jpg

Close up!
IMGP2048.jpg

With Rocketman's Magical Jamaican Sauce. A great compliment. In fact, this sauce is, for now, the official sauce of SoFlo BBQ Pizza on Tuesdays :).
IMGP2050.jpg

Yo' Mama.

FD

So I says to myself, I says, "Why doesn't anyone on THP make their own pizza??"

C'mon everyone. Make a damn pie!!! It's just like Drunken Chef, except you put it in the pizza place.
In fact, everything soflo does is exactly like drunken chef.
Oh well.

Tonight, we feature two of our favorite THP members, Salsalady and Rocketman.

We had a shit-ton (which should be a standardized measurement) of sliced BBQ pork left.

My kids got me a pizza stone just for my Weber Charcoal grill for Fathers day. Had to try it out.
So, I decided to have Sum over so I could get debaucherous and forget about my fatherly duties for a little while (the wife's gotta do SOMETHING!!).

BBQ Pizza featuring Salsalady's Texas Creek Hot BBQ sauce.
Dough, SL Sauce, BBQ Pork, Cheese.
Slap that bitch on the stone till done.
Top with Rocketman's Jamaican Hot Sauce.
Oh, a squirt of lime and a pinch of salt too. Try it!!
Amazing!

SoFlo FoSho.

Ingreds.
IMGP2039.jpg

On the stone, on the grill.
IMGP2045.jpg

I think I'm in there somewhere!
IMGP2047.jpg

Close up!
IMGP2048.jpg

With Rocketman's Magical Jamaican Sauce. A great compliment. In fact, this sauce is, for now, the official sauce of SoFlo BBQ Pizza on Tuesdays :).
IMGP2050.jpg

Yo' Mama.

FD

FD in background pounding a Busch Light. Excellent tank top!

That pizza looks like something that would burn tonight and also burn 12 hours later...just like I like it...much like the Habanero Incident of '08.

The Infamous Habanero Incident of '08... Those were the days. This could be a repeat.

Did you mean to type vagina TB? That DOES sell.

'08. I thought we all had an aggressive intestinal virus.

Turns out our large intestines were just reminding us they were still there after the onslaught of hotness.

What's the poop equivalent of crossing swords?

What's the poop equivalent of crossing swords?

Crossing logs?

I've never run into this situation, but I guess it must have a name.

Anyone have some great family stories from the Oregon Trail? I'm sure some log-crossing happened upon that excursion.

G- Great question! I'm reading it two different ways:

1) to pizza stone or not to pizza stone.

2) to pizza on the grill or not to pizza on the grill.

For the first, i only have experience with two methods that make way different types of pizza and so to me aren't really comparable... stone and cast iron skillet. Stone evens out the heat so hot spots on the grill are distributed a bit better, and they are porous which draws some of the water from the dough to create the perfect crust. I've seen the perforated metal pans, but I've never used one. I don't know of any other way to cook a pizza. FD?
For the second, smoke can easily be added to the flavors of the pizza in a gas(w/wood chips) or charcoal grill. When done right, perfecto! IMO, smoke = superior pizza.

Good stones are expensive! Try looking for some unglazed quarry tile (think unglazed terra cotta tiles). I'm hoping to line the bottom rack of my oven with some of these soon.

Thanks for your input. Number 1 was really my only question - I made the decision to try to avoid turning on the oven over the summer when I bought the grill, so number 2 wasn't on my mind. But yes, I should have clarified - perforated pan vs. stone..... your points are well-taken there. CharBroil sells a 13.4" pizza stone (large enough for my needs) for $14.99, which so far is the least expensive I've found.

You can get any old pizza stone, really, for around that price and it will do just fine. I say get it!!

If you want better, there are other options, but you will have to spend money or time finding it.

Some people like very thick stones. Makes sense, they retain heat well and are specially made for making pizza and bread.

Bread bakers swear by unglazed stones sold as outdoor tiles and only cost pennies. You could do your whole setup for under $10 with high quality stuff.
But...it's kinda hard to find it.

Sum wants to line his whole oven bottom in the quarry stones (so do I, once he finds the supplier). Good idea because it acts as a thermal insulator for every kind of baking and is great with pizza and bread.

You really cant go wrong. The quick and easy solution of getting a generic pizza stone will work just fine for now. You can always upgrade and it doesn't have to cost much.
It really makes the pizza so damn good, on the grill or in the oven.

I made sourdough starter today, and am looking forward to sourdough pizza soon!!!!

Hmmm..... kind of sounds like an unglazed ceramic disc would do the same job. I could definitely make one of those; just gotta find the kiln schedule.

That's exactly what pizza stones are G. If you're gonna make your own... make it thicker than 1/2". I've had the same idea, but I'm looking into the tiles before trying to find a kiln around here.

Don't mean to dork out about oven stones, but these things make a difference.

And you get a side benefit of learning mad peel technique.... which is always impressive.

So what you're saying is that all the ones I've looked at that are actually made of stone aren't REAL pizza stones??? :rofl:

So what you're saying is that all the ones I've looked at that are actually made of stone aren't REAL pizza stones??? :rofl:

Blame it on the Busch Light, but i can't tell if you're being cheeky, G.

All the pizza stones that you have looked up are NOT made out of stone. They are ALL ceramic. But they are all real pizza stones.

Anything made out of REAL stone risks radon gas. Maybe except for slate.

Boom!

Have a look at the tray I use, its on page 7 :)

It works really well, I get nice crisp brown bases everytime :)

Ack I made four pizza's the other weekend, I should have taken some pic's..

Blame it on the Busch Light, but i can't tell if you're being cheeky, G.

All the pizza stones that you have looked up are NOT made out of stone. They are ALL ceramic. But they are all real pizza stones.

Anything made out of REAL stone risks radon gas. Maybe except for slate.

Boom!
WHAT??? ME? CHEEKY????? hehehehehe !

Actually, yes, I've been looking mostly at real stone ones, but a few synthetic.

Back