• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man!!! There's questions what chili and cornbread means??? Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil and Husker WTH????!!!!!! :lol:

Phil, no, corn flour is not the requirement. CORNBREAD IS! No tortillas or fried catfish dammit! LOL! It must be cornbread but if you want to try to make a unique shape like a chili bowl in your cast iron, or a hand pie, go for it! I was just throwing it out there. Both could be disastrous. It could be a trap!!!! Cornbread is crumbly, but cornbread muffins work so hint hint.

And Husker... chili is chili is chili! You know what it is, everyone does. NO it doesn't have to be traditional beef chili, that would be boring. If you want to make a chili verde go for it! Or whatever you can think of.

I didn't know I'd have to define chili or cornbread. LOL. Seems Phil has a hankering for some fried catfish and Husker wants the bean crowd outta here!!!!!! :rofl:

Be as creative as you want!

grantmichaels said:
What? No beans???!? ... I've grown to like the beans ...
Strike 2 against JHP! LOL! Hilarious.

I have never made cornbread, and I've only eaten it once or twice in truth.

But, I have a supply of corn meal like there's no tomorrow from an errant Amazon order 2-3 months ago (~ dozen bags) during the first round of pizza making, so there's that ...

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh man!!! There's questions what chili and cornbread means??? Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil and Husker WTH????!!!!!! :lol:

Phil, no, corn flour is not the requirement. CORNBREAD IS! No tortillas or fried catfish dammit! LOL! It must be cornbread but if you want to try to make a unique shape like a chili bowl in your cast iron, or a hand pie, go for it!
I didn't know I'd have to define chili or cornbread. LOL. Seems Phil has a hankering for some fried catfish and Husker wants the bean crowd outta here!!!!!! :rofl:

Hey man, you threw tamales out as an example, so I was just verifying! lol. It means what I thought it meant.... just thought maybe you were zigging when I was zagging. We're good!
And that looks like a damned fine chili and kernbread, Chris!

Phil said:
Hey man, you threw tamales out as an example, so I was just verifying! lol. It means what I thought it meant.... just thought maybe you were zigging when I was zagging. We're good!

And that looks like a damned fine chili and kernbread, Chris!
A tamale is like a wet cornbread. If you made cornbread mix instead of tamale mix, and tried to make hot pockets in corn husks... I was just saying you can be creative.

Deep frying cornbread mix makes corn fritters. It's all cornbread.

Sheesh. Here I am doing all the work again lol.

PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was all psyched up for this then Scovie bowed out.

I pictured my chili pot pie sliced into a wedge with a dollop of sour cream on top and some sharp or extra sharp shredded cheddar sprinkled over it all.

I found something that suggests it could work, but it wasnt the muffins.

I like creativity. Do it.

I also like when a traditional dish is killed.

Where the votes go is always a gamble.

Corndogs as your cornbread would be killer just spoon chili on top or dip 'em! Go Grant!

The Hot Pepper said:
Well, i actually have some difficulties but maybe i'm excused! :D
About cornbread: 100% corn flour or can it be mixed with other flour? Some min % corn flour?
Abouth chili: i just know it's a sort of ragù with beans if i want (and i always want). About vegetarian chili? I googled and i found some stuff i'd call soup. Last week i made something similar cooking onions, carrots, celery, craploads of spices, beans, tomato... Some flour to amalgamate. Oil in the end. Quite healthy but not really good. Could that be an example? Also, could be dessert chili like using, let's say, almonds instead beans, caramel or chocolate instead tomato, raisins, nuts, butter instead oil, cinnamon and pepper for spice, it would be great candied cedar but it's too late maybe, could be chili?

The word chili refers to the chilies used in it. Example: Chili con carne (chili peppers with meat) is a stew of sorts with a mixture of different chili peppers and meat. The meat is usually a chili grind, which is larger than a hamburger grind. You can even cut a chili grind size by hand with a good knife if you are skilled. There can be beans and it can be vegetarian as well. The key is the mix of peppers used, and the seasonings. Cocoa and peanut butter have even been used. But bascially, it is a stew of chili peppers! That's why it's called chili. :)

Cornbread is a southern staple. You can stick to the original, or you can be unique with the shape or cooking methods, but the "batter" needs to be defined as cornbread. It is a very specific bread so please look it up.

The Hot Pepper said:
The word chili refers to the chilies used in it. Example: Chili con carne (chili peppers with meat) is a stew of sorts with a mixture of different chili peppers and meat. The meat is usually a chili grind, which is larger than a hamburger grind. You can even cut a chili grind size by hand with a good knife if you are skilled. There can be beans and it can be vegetarian as well. The key is the mix of peppers used, and the seasonings. Cocoa and peanut butter have even been used. But bascially, it is a stew of chili peppers! That's why it's called chili. :)

You just exposed my twist - I was going to do the manual chili grind w/ a relatively low-popularity whole-cut of beef this weekend ...

LOL.

I'm not worried, though ... I'll change my mind 100x times before then.

I'm kind of serious about the chili(filled) corn-dog ... or at least, getting the full flavor profile of a pot of chili into a layer between a skewered hot dog and a corn bread layer ...

There are all kinds of chili. There are no beans in "Competition Chili" which is different! That does not mean there are no beans in chili, it means, for the sake of the competition, the judges do not want fillers to get in the way of the meat and peppers. You also can not put corn and a whole list of fillers. But somewhere along the line, people started saying "real" chili does not have beans. This is not true. "Competition" chili does not have beans. But chili can and did long before chili contests, this is just something the judges required.

So don't get caught up in that hype Essegi!!! LOL!

grantmichaels said:
You just exposed my twist - I was going to do the manual chili grind w/ a relatively low-popularity whole-cut of beef this weekend ...

LOL.

I'm not worried, though ... I'll change my mind 100x times before then.

I'm kind of serious about the chili(filled) corn-dog ... or at least, getting the full flavor profile of a pot of chili into a layer between a skewered hot dog and a corn bread layer ...
Ha! Cool man. I did something similar once and used the freezer to get the chili workable to wrap the dog. I can't remember exactly.

The Hot Pepper said:
Cornbread is a southern staple. You can stick to the original, or you can be unique with the shape or cooking methods, but the "batter" needs to be defined as cornbread. It is a very specific bread so please look it up.
Thanks, for chili it's fine...
I did search some cornbread recipes... It seems something on the sweet side... Also there's baking powder that i don't want to use (not a problem, just a bit of yeast and some wait and it's ok. I hope). I see that corn flour and normal flour is about 1:3/4... Then butter, sugar...
My question is this: if i skip butter and use whole wheat instead normal flour and maybe some milk, more water than the original recipe, will be ok or not a cornbread? And maybe honey instead sugar.
Not saying i'll do that (nor that i'll not do, it has some sense... I think). Just to understand.
If i have to chose a shape it would be amoeba ™.

grantmichaels said:
Thanks, i'm reading something tommorrow. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back