contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuddddupppp! Remember when they were actually announced the day of? Ha! Baby. (jus razzin)

Okay Jay have it your way. zdecker will decide March!

February is:

CHILI and CORNBREAD

We've never done chili because it's hard to judge on the net, but I'm going for it. I think this one will be good!

Post your best chili, and your best homemade cornbread (no mixes). I want to see some wacky cornbreads! Spicy, cheesy, meaty? Give us what you got!

The key to this will be presentation.

A plate with a cup or bowl on the plate. A slice of cornbread on the side. And chili spooned on the plate so we can see all the bits. This may be under the cornbread, on top, or on the side.

Final details Friday. But there you go!

Now SHOP!

PS. Vegetarians and vegans welcome! 2nd poll added if more than one v/v entry!

Thank you for pushing me! And thanks to zdecker for asking me for a few suggestions... that's how I ended up here and I think it's a GREAT one.

ZD, you get March brother!

The Hot Pepper said:
Thank you for pushing me! And thanks to zdecker for asking me for a few suggestions... that's how I ended up here and I think it's a GREAT one.

ZD, you get March brother!
Appreciate it, now I have plenty of time to think about it a little more :cool:

If someone dares to do some sort of cornbread bowl, pie, or pocket, that would also be acceptable!

Just throwing that out there. Chili and cornbread will be the two mandatory requirements. The third is some way for us to see all the bits as mentioned earlier. Thin layer spooned, etc.

YES! This will be a good one!!!!

The Hot Pepper said:
If someone dares to do some sort of cornbread bowl, pie, or pocket, that would also be acceptable!

Just throwing that out there. Chili and cornbread will be the two mandatory requirements. The third is some way for us to see all the bits as mentioned earlier. Thin layer spooned, etc.

YES! This will be a good one!!!!
I tried this and it was an epic fail for one reason....the cornbread had to be overcooked to hold the chili. 

Think tamale and it can work! Hey I'm not gonna do all the work for ya lol!!!

TD's would be a whole different animal for me if the POL was on Friday, but the topic was set the Friday before for the sake of grocery shopping. The discourse leading up to it seems like it would be fun-ish ...

That said, I check out some other places online that have a similar kind of contest monthly, and you have all month to enter the dish - and the turn out is much lower in total, so _MMV ...
The Hot Pepper said:
Shuddddupppp! Remember when they were actually announced the day of? Ha! Baby. (jus razzin)

Okay Jay have it your way. zdecker will decide March!

February is:

CHILI and CORNBREAD

We've never done chili because it's hard to judge on the net, but I'm going for it. I think this one will be good!

Post your best chili, and your best homemade cornbread (no mixes). I want to see some wacky cornbreads! Spicy, cheesy, meaty? Give us what you got!

The key to this will be presentation.

A plate with a cup or bowl on the plate. A slice of cornbread on the side. And chili spooned on the plate so we can see all the bits. This may be under the cornbread, on top, or on the side.

Final details Friday. But there you go!

Now SHOP!

PS. Vegetarians and vegans welcome!

Oh, it's posted. FML, I didn't see because of the client app ...

I'm in on this one w/ a week's notice.

I don't think we need a debate about the throwdown process, it is effective.  People enter the ones that interest them.  Some are jam-packed, some are smaller turnouts, it just depends on the month, the theme, etc.  They clearly do work.  I have several times voiced my opinions about the rules, practices, etc, but the boss does a helluva good job of running them, and coming up with new and interesting themes.  They will no doubt continue to be a fun and big part of this forum.

Good points by both parties!

Not changing the way they work except the short notice part is noted! Sometimes I get busy, other times I'm still working ideas in my head to make it really good! For the record notice has been way shorter in the past, but also longer. GM, it's noted. Thanks.

It's kind of amazing we've never done chili. I'm really excited about this one, especially with the cornbread aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back