contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I suggest either wet or dry curry. Big difference between a dry spice mixture and a sauce. I'd rather see everyone make a "sauce" curry. Still plenty of room for creativity, but it will make judging a little easier and focused.

JohnsMyName said:
Can I suggest either wet or dry curry. Big difference between a dry spice mixture and a sauce. I'd rather see everyone make a "sauce" curry. Still plenty of room for creativity, but it will make judging a little easier and focused.
Dry curry is a powder and not a dish to me, must be a sauce to be curry IMO. 

a dish of meat, vegetables, etc., cooked in an Indian-style sauce of strong spices and turmeric and typically served with rice.

prepare or flavor with a sauce of hot-tasting spices.
"curried chicken"

The orange "curry" powder sold in American grocery stores is as much curry as chicken fingers and crab rangoons are Chinese!

That said a curry can be a spice blend or sauce depending on who you ask, but I think a curry sauce TD would be best and should be specified. Also not limited to Indian style, many southeast Asian countries have their own style of curries.

JohnsMyName said:
The orange "curry" powder sold in American grocery stores is as much curry as chicken fingers and crab rangoons are Chinese!

That said a curry can be a spice blend or sauce depending on who you ask, but I think a curry sauce TD would be best and should be specified. Also not limited to Indian style, many southeast Asian countries have their own style of curries.
Well I'm planning on Thai.

Chili the meal or chili the pepper? :P Does BBQ have to be smoked? Is the beef burger allowed to have bacon? :P Guys guys relax this happens every time, and you will be fine... relaxxxxxxxx lol. It's just curry.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Dry curry is a powder and not a dish to me, must be a sauce to be curry IMO. 

a dish of meat, vegetables, etc., cooked in an Indian-style sauce of strong spices and turmeric and typically served with rice.[/size]

prepare or flavor with a sauce of hot-tasting spices.[/size]
"curried chicken"[/size]
To me Rogan Josh is a dry curry. Meat is rubbed and cooked with very little liquid so it is just coated. Vindaloo so a wet curry with lots of sauce for the rice. Then there is Thai curry, Burmese curry. Mongolian curry...what to do?

Although this time I will be off, and home, I would second the motion of adding Monday to the Throwdown weekend, on a permanent basis. It would allow those of us that work on weekends a better chance of being involved in them. JMO.
The last two times I attempted a curry throwdown, I made phall. I am going to branch out and away from that this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back