contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have to be the dish that would be served (typically in a bowl) if you ordered "curry" - or can it be something, "curried" where the "currying" is the primary focus of the dish? ...

I'm going Carribean for this TD. Looking forward to giving this one a shot. Not much experience making curry but it will be fun. That much in sure of. Can't wait to see what everyone else makes. I've seen some stellar stuff in the curry thread. It will be nice to get some recipies.

D3monic said:
I've never had asian style curry but indian I didn't like one bit, don't even like the smell of curry seasoning.

Check out some curry seasoning recipes from other places. Most Jamaican-style curries don't use the ingredients that make many Indian curries off-putting to some people. Also, keep in mind that you do not have to spend an arm and a leg to make a TD entry. You have to eat, so if you can find a curry seasoning recipe that uses spices you already have on hand and you're going to cook meat and/or veggies anyway, just use the seasonings on the food you are cooking without going overboard on cost. Let me assure you, no one is checking receipts or engaging in one-upmanship on the cost. At least, no one with their head screwed straight on their shoulders! These are informal and are supposed to be fun. Many of us have competitive natures, but that shouldn't scare you off.

hogleg said:
I have no problem with wild venison gaminess. Lamb gaminess = Yuuut!! Ever been near a goat pen when its raining? Well that smell and the taste of lamb are virtually the same.

I'm not saying I won't try it still ... but, where duck was a step forward in terms of my experience of "gaminess," lamb was a step back ...

grantmichaels said:

I'm not saying I won't try it still ... but, where duck was a step forward in terms of my experience of "gaminess," lamb was a step back ...

I would suggest trying Elk first. Of the wild cloven hoof beast I've tried I'd say its the lest gamy, and closest to beef. Its really quite delicious. It would be my first choice in wild game.

hogleg said:

I would suggest trying Elk first. Of the wild cloven hoof beast I've tried I'd say its the lest gamy, and closest to beef. Its really quite delicious. It would be my first choice in wild game.

I can't remember if it was elk or yak that I was looking at (I think the latter), but it was pricey!

Curry can be an extremely economical dish. Two of my favorites are Makhani Dal - black lentils and Chick pea Cauliflower curry with tomatoes.

I've been going through "660 Currys" and a bunch of Madhur Jaffer's books. Those are just Indian. Honestly, this challenge is one I was really looking forward to but I'm a little overwhelmed with the deciding.

Vindaloo has always been a favorite but not so attractive in pics. Posted a chicken meatball Thai curry over noodles a few weeks ago but doesn't seem traditional or spicy enough. What to do!!!?
Also, for those intimidated by curry, chili is america's version. Can be simple or complex. Vegetarian or meat. Beef, lamb, pork or vegetarian. Just a different blend of spices.

Friday will be Curry!

This will be a two course affair and one course has to be curry (the stew-like meal or anything "curried" wet or dry). What that means is you can make a Thai curry, and a papaya salad, or, your other course may have curry as well, so you could enter curry wings or curry puffs as an app. Or a non-curry app, but all of the same cuisine. So you can go Thai, Caribbean, Indian, etc. but for the whole meal. You could even do dessert (as the second), as long as if fits the cuisine. But no more than two courses.

There will not be two polls there will be one, so that means really thinking here... thinking what people are going to vote for as a cohesive meal, because if they don't like your app, but love your curry, you may not get the vote.

When I order up curry I often get apps, I mean who doesn't order samosas with Indian? Or tom yum soup before your whole red snapper with curry sauce? Chicken satay anyone?? So think about your two courses, and see you Friday!

D3monic said:

All i've ever heard was how good elk is, I bought some ground elk and threw it on the ground. 
I have found with all game, it has to be killed by me or a friend for me to enjoy it. I do not like or trust mass produced game meats more like petting zoo animals. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Friday will be Curry!

This will be a two course affair and one course has to be curry (the stew-like meal or anything "curried" wet or dry). What that means is you can make a Thai curry, and a papaya salad, or, your other course may have curry as well, so you could enter curry wings or curry puffs as an app. Or a non-curry app, but all of the same cuisine. So you can go Thai, Caribbean, Indian, etc. but for the whole meal. You could even do dessert (as the second), as long as if fits the cuisine. But no more than two courses.

There will not be two polls there will be one, so that means really thinking here... thinking what people are going to vote for as a cohesive meal, because if they don't like your app, but love your curry, you may not get the vote.

When I order up curry I often get apps, I mean who doesn't order samosas with Indian? Or tom yum soup before your whole red snapper with curry sauce? Chicken satay anyone?? So think about your two courses, and see you Friday!
Lol I had chicken satay app and green beef curry last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back