contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm just wondering why TB has that vid set up as a favorite on his interwebz browser..... He is a chef, after all..... :P

View attachment 9971

Wait.

May is Molé? Uh oh... My brain just froze up.

Reboot.

Ok, I dunno what to do. I only have one recipe, except for the "other" one that is Verde.
Publish my mole poblano recipe? Go up against SoFlo, Jay, TB and gawd knows who all else?
This is going to come down to picture quality, plating and artistry.

Bring it bitches. :D
:BOLD:

Okay okay, we just saw a lot of seafood and sandwiches, and this was a real tough one to come up with, but instead of picking the cuisine, or picking the protein, etc., I am picking the vehicle/accompaniment.

April is The Flatbread Challenge. This means you must make your own flatbread. A flatbread is simply a flat thin bread, usually unleavened. Crisp like a wafer or soft like a tortilla.
It is usually unleavened (roti, matzo)
It is sometimes slightly leavened (pita)
It is sometimes fully leavened (naan)
It sometimes has a leavening agent but is pressed flat (flour tortilla)
There's also the generic flatbread. Just flat bread.

As long as it is a flat bread after baking (frying, etc.), it is flatbread. Traditional pizza is not flatbread because it would not be flat or thin without all those toppings, it would be a round loaf. However there are flatbread pizzas. So just make sure it is flatbread you are making, as in, without the weight of ingredients during cooking, it would be flat and thin. It's all about ingredients and technique.

This means you can go Greek, Mexican, Afgani, Italian, Indian, etc. etc. The spring weather may make you want you grill, or go light and fresh, but there's still a chill in the air, and you may go heavy. The flatbread does not have to be the star. You want to make the flatbread the star? Go for it but make sure it is still a flatbread. This one should be fun!

As long as you make flatbread from scratch you can make whatever you want to go with it. The meal of course will be judged in its entirety, the flatbread is just the common denominator.

April - Flatbread Challenge
May - Cinco de Mole (I told you we'd do one Scovie!)
June - Burgers (Oh yeah!)

Flatbread.

I can dig it.

Just make yer own flat bread ala naan or whatever and from there its a free for all.

Could get crazy stupid.

Better have security and a team of doctors on standby.

geeme said:
I could have fun with this.....

... and since when is a tortilla leavened?????

Many commercial tortilla's use leavening agents such as baking powder.

We won't even go into dough conditioners, elasticizer's et.al.

Baking powder does help when making tore tillah's for puffy tacos.

Oh yeah - forgot about puffy tacos, since I haven't seen one in, oh, maybe 20 years. Heh. Just a mess, regardless. A novelty, but not worth it, IMO.

geeme said:
I could have fun with this.....

... and since when is a tortilla leavened?????

Baking powder (leavening agent) in flour tortillas. But they are pressed flat so they don't rise.

texas blues said:
Many commercial tortilla's use leavening agents such as baking powder.

We won't even go into dough conditioners, elasticizer's et.al.

Baking powder does help when making tore tillah's for puffy tacos.

TB said it.

Y'all know what what flatbread is. No need for definitions.

geeme said:
Oh yeah - forgot about puffy tacos, since I haven't seen one in, oh, maybe 20 years. Heh. Just a mess, regardless. A novelty, but not worth it, IMO.

The Hot Pepper said:

Baking powder (leavening agent) in flour tortillas. But they are pressed flat so they don't rise.

TB said it.

Y'all know what what flatbread is. No need for definitions.

Dang skippy.

This is a throwdown that ANYONE can rock.

Mix up some flour (wheat, corn, rice, whatever) with water, some fat like lard, canola oil, veg oil, butter, bacon grease, etc, and salt, and whatever else you want to add, yeast, or other leavener's or not, and you got it. 

And then add hot stuff and whatever you want to that either in the dough or on top.

I reckon nuthin' but awesome can come out of this throwdown.

Hit it!

Exactly TB. I'm looking forward to some killer chili-flatbreads, or keep it rustic, just make killer flatbreads and rock the meal out, whatever. It's an open canvas for awesome.

Jay, you doin' amobea 'tillas?

:lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
For the next 3 seasons of the year, I shall be naming the TD in threes.
Nice idea!
The Hot Pepper said:
May - Cinco de Mole (I told you we'd do one Scovie!)
I don't get this one... Well, i'll wait td explanation! :D

Let's see for flatbread... I'm not used to do and quite busy at the beginning of the month... Let's see!

Essegi said:
Nice idea!
I don't get this one... Well, i'll wait td explanation! :D

Let's see for flatbread... I'm not used to do and quite busy at the beginning of the month... Let's see!

No way Jose!

You got to be in on this one Essi.

Think thin bread.

And you can top, stuff, use it however you want.

You can rock this.

texas blues said:
No way Jose!

You got to be in on this one Essi.

Think thin bread.

And you can top, stuff, use it however you want.

You can rock this.
Ok, TB invite is a plus, i can't miss that and to hell issues! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back