• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

see I only have two seasons hot and cold not much of an in between so I play on our cold here I grow out and look for production in fall winter and early spring but I look for survival in summer it gets to be 117+ here

Hmmm, ya never thought about that, and the heat you get in the summer would be brutal ;) You think of Vegas and you think of nice temps all year round but that's clearly not the case at all.

I plan on starting my peppers and tomatoes here the first week of January, that's a little early for me, but we had such a wonky growing season here this past summer that I figure that couple extra weeks will benefit the plants in the long run, :dance:

yea people have a huge misconception when it comes to vegas it does snow(it is supposed to Saturday) and the heat is absolutely terrible maybe a month or two of good weather (90 and below) and (70 and above)

Excellent, nice to have a greenhouse....I'll post your seeds this weekend, need to get a couple other orders ready, so they can all go at the same time. ;)

Wow, the indigos look fantastic! I had some nice cherokee purples last year. Taste was out of this world.

What varieties do you guys generally like for fresh salsas? I know the longer varieties test to be best for cookin'/ sauces. 

Penny said:
If I'm making salsa, I generally use roma's, amish paste or beefsteaks.

Thanks Penny! I've generally had the best results with roma's... heard beefsteaks make a mean salsa too. Gonna have to try it. Seems like romas have a lot of all around uses! Probably should set up space for a roma or two this Spring.

Here is my tomato list, so far for 2014 :dance: ....there will be more... ;)

mrs maxwells pink beefsteak
Coeur de beouf tomato
indigo rose blue tomato....trial
kardia karpos red f5 tomato....trial
big orange from amuz tomato
black seaman tomato
amish paste tomato
Bulgarian tomato
Croatian bullheart tomato
Egyptian tomato
Oregon spring tomato
McClintocks big pink tomato

2014 Preliminary tomato list----
Zinfandel
Yellow Plum
San Marzano
Goliath
HealthKick
Juliet
Believe it or Not
Red Pear

all seeds came from tradewinds seeds

Oh just as FYI saw this on the cover of burpee magazine

Tomato, SteakHouse Hybrid

12.jpg

13.jpg

3 pounder! May be trying this one

Can anyone recommend some good varieties for growing in containers? My wife wants me to grow her some tomatoes again this year, and my only option is containers as the ground we have where we're living is no good for growing without a lot of work being done to it, and we're planning on moving this year so it's not worth the trouble. She's looking for some type of regular sized tomato for salsa's, pico and sandwiches, and a cherry tomato for salads etc. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Can anyone recommend some good varieties for growing in containers? My wife wants me to grow her some tomatoes again this year, and my only option is containers as the ground we have where we're living is no good for growing without a lot of work being done to it, and we're planning on moving this year so it's not worth the trouble. She's looking for some type of regular sized tomato for salsa's, pico and sandwiches, and a cherry tomato for salads etc. 
I haven't grown them yet but they are on my list to grow. Tiny Tim. My mom grew them years ago in a pot on her deck and loved them for salads.

Scarecrw said:
I haven't grown them yet but they are on my list to grow. Tiny Tim. My mom grew them years ago in a pot on her deck and loved them for salads.
Thanks for the info Scarecrw. Will check them out. Appreciate it!

Burning Colon said:

black from tula also delivered a mild taste compared to black krim. after tasting nebraska wedding and german stripe, lemon boy had go
I grew lemon boy for the first time last year and loved em. Looks like I need to research some new toms. Thanks

Back