• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

FGpepperguy said:
My chinenses.  I see some green.

attachicon.gif
20150102_193103766_iOS.jpg

What are you using for seed starter soil?  What are the unmarked ones in the back? 

Roguejim said:
Alright, time for just a few baby photos.  I'm also very pleased to report that fungus gnats have been all but absent.  From the beginning, I've been watering from a watering can laced with Mosquito Dunks (bits).  For anyone interested, I received an email from the manufacturer last season, and was advised to add tsp per gallon of water, and let stand 24 hours.

A pair of Chaguanas.  I've never grown these before.

A pair of Goats.

Scotch Bonnet Fariah.  I really like this variety.

One of the purple ones, the Pimenta Leopard.  This year I save seeds in case anyone wants them.

Scorpion Tongue (red).  This one withstood the aphid onslaught last season.  Pretty prolific in spite of it all.

English toffee w/ Moruga powder (1/8 tsp).
I bet that english toffee will wake ya up in the morning!

Roguejim said:

What are you using for seed starter soil?  What are the unmarked ones in the back? 
Jim - I used Fox Farms ocean forest with about 1/3rd more perlite mixed in.  The soil was probably overkill but its what I had.  

The ones in the back are free spots for my baccatum and annuum

FGpepperguy said:
Jim - I used Fox Farms ocean forest with about 1/3rd more perlite mixed in.  The soil was probably overkill but its what I had.  

The ones in the back are free spots for my baccatum and annuum

That's one of those potting soils you never hear anything bad about.  I believe PIC1 uses it, so, you're in great company.  I'm glad the PNWers are starting to roll with their seedlings.  Now, if we could just get bpwilly to take it out of park... :P
organic pepper said:
I bet that english toffee will wake ya up in the morning!
The heat's not bad with only 1/8 tsp.  Last year, on my first batch, I used 2 tbls!  Almost no one could handle it.  I learned my lesson.

I am really procrastinating so far.  Been waiting on a seed-train to see if they is anything I might be interested in, so stalling on making my 2015 list.   Guess I better get off my duff and put pen to paper and get the list started and then I can narrow down.

So much pressure!

Lol, I will get something posted this week, but having to much fun watching all the football games both College and Pro.  By the way, congratulations to the Ducks!  Should be a great playoff game soon.

Som,e real good gamers this last week with some wild scores!

bpwilly said:
I am really procrastinating so far.  Been waiting on a seed-train to see if they is anything I might be interested in, so stalling on making my 2015 list.   Guess I better get off my duff and put pen to paper and get the list started and then I can narrow down.

So much pressure!

Lol, I will get something posted this week, but having to much fun watching all the football games both College and Pro.  By the way, congratulations to the Ducks!  Should be a great playoff game soon.

Som,e real good gamers this last week with some wild scores!
That really was good games so far this weekend!

So, here is my theory/plan for this summer's outdoor.  I am going to build on the grow style i have going with my indoor, topping and LSTing to create "mainlined" plants.  I am noticing a trend with the plants which is that the lower the branch is on the manifold, the better it produces.  Im thinking it has to do with what number in line the branch is coming up from the roots.  My thought is to do what i did here, but instead of branching out all tops, to cut down to two lateral branches, and then top those as well.  The theory here being that everything from the root system is split evenly, producing a completely symmetrical plant.  This is still probably a couple months in the making, but the pepperoncini will be the test plant.

+1 Jim.  Would be nice to see some comparison photos over the course of the season!

The only game that counts this season for the Ducks is coming up.
Everything else is history   ;)  

:dance:   GO DUCKS!

Roguejim said:

That's one of those potting soils you never hear anything bad about.  I believe PIC1 uses it, so, you're in great company.  I'm glad the PNWers are starting to roll with their seedlings.  Now, if we could just get bpwilly to take it out of park... :P

The heat's not bad with only 1/8 tsp.  Last year, on my first batch, I used 2 tbls!  Almost no one could handle it.  I learned my lesson.

Well if PIC1 uses it then I must not be doing too bad.  That guy has crazy growing and cooking skills.  I'm in awe!

Well after two trains that showed up on the same week I have seeds coming out of my ears!  I'm spending this afternoon prioritizing.. Dang!

FGpepperguy said:
Well if PIC1 uses it then I must not be doing too bad.  That guy has crazy growing and cooking skills.  I'm in awe!

Well after two trains that showed up on the same week I have seeds coming out of my ears!  I'm spending this afternoon prioritizing.. Dang!
Someday, I have to get in on a train. Do you just take what you want, and put seeds in?

Very robust, healthy specimens, Aaron!

OK,   Been spending the day picking through my seeds to make my list for this year.   Looks like I have boiled it down to about 56 varieties.  Now to keep the total number of plants down to a manageable number so I can grow something else in the garden this year.   I should be getting these started in the next week and will fire up a GLOG again this year.   Looking forward to more experimenting with enhancing te soil used on my pots, as well as enhancing the soil in the garden.  Going to try to redcue the number of plants in the garden so I can get something else growing there to help with crop rotation, since the past 2 years have had the garden dedicated to nothing but peppers.

Don't want to get stuck in a rut, plus I have plenty of pots for most of the peppers this year.

I was out cleaning out some of the older pots and recycling the soil when I notices a big difference between the roots of a pepper plant from one of the plastic 5 gallon buckets and the roots of a pepper plant from a 5 gal fabric-pot.   Not sure which is better, as the fabric-pot plants did not perform all that great for me last year (first time trying them).  Since the fabric pots had smaller and later plants, it may not have been a good comparison, but the roots sure are different.

IMAG1278_zpsd086f377.jpg

If anyone has some thoughts on which one is a better root ball, I would love to hear them.  Otherwise, it was just a curious difference.

Still need to get my starting area cleaned up a ready for the seeds and pots.  Better get everything clean and disinfected to start the year off on the right foot.

I noticed the same this year as well with using a rootpot and 5 gal bucket. I wished I had taken more notice of the actual production of that pepper plant. It gave me peppers but I never compared it to the other plant. I'm going to experiment with that this year and actually chart it utilizing same types of peppers. Glad to see you rolling with your setup! Cheers pal

Some of the little guy's at 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Just wish I had my 600 bulbs to push them along. Ordered 2 and 2 came in today broken. That was a waste of a week. I should have just bought it local.
20150108_1956051.jpg

organic pepper said:
I noticed the same this year as well with using a rootpot and 5 gal bucket. I wished I had taken more notice of the actual production of that pepper plant. It gave me peppers but I never compared it to the other plant. I'm going to experiment with that this year and actually chart it utilizing same types of peppers. Glad to see you rolling with your setup! Cheers pal

Some of the little guy's at 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Just wish I had my 600 bulbs to push them along. Ordered 2 and 2 came in today broken. That was a waste of a week. I should have just bought it local.
attachicon.gif
20150108_1956051.jpg

You may have already told us, but, what type soil are you using for your seedlings?

Back