• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

BINGO!  That's the place.  Looks like the videos were posted on April 14, 2014 and it looks exactly the same as it did 10 years ago.  Still a great value, and rave reviews. 

Aw, MAN!  Now I want to go back to Kauai SOOOO BAD!!!!! 

neoguy said:

That guy at noodlecat is on the food map more than Michael Symon, you just haven't heard of him, yet. Lot's of goodness going on here that people don't hear about.
oh i know all about him. i love the greenhouse tavern, one of my favorite places

Today's lunch: Seimen (say-men) by Maruchan. I love these instant noodles, and they live up to their name which literally translates to "true noodles".
Although technically instant, these are only cooked on the stove and come out with the same texture as fresh ramen noodles.

Watch the Food & Beverage thread. I'm thinking of doing a give away with these ;-). Technically you can buy them on Amazon but they cost about $15+!

FSrUvPW.jpg

I do a few different types of ramen noodles, although its not a true ramen. These are made from organic rice, and a few other ingredients depending on the variety. 
Casselberry-Altamonte Springs-20150204-00297.jpg

When it comes to Soba, I use 100% buckwheat Soba, which seems to be harder to find. These days when the package says buckwheat noodles, usually its primarily wheat, with a small percentage of it being buckwheat. I get mine from a health food store. I typically add Miso soup and other veggies, along with some chicken or beef, and herbs and spices. Next time I make it, I will have to take a picture.

same ramen as usual but with smoked bahamian goat powder. YUM!

Photobucket why you kill my img quality. Is there a better img hosting service out there? I'm thinking it's time to switch

Very nice!

Also I recommend Flickr. That's what I've been using for my glog this year.

filmost said:
Very nice!

Also I recommend Flickr. That's what I've been using for my glog this year.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. What's funny is photobucket wants you to buy prints and posters and things of your uploads but it's like. Why on earth would I want to pay to print a img that your site has trashed?

_MG_9880 by d3monic_urges, on Flickr

Meh I give up lol

grantmichaels said:
flickr or people like imgur, too ...

I tried Imgur, seemed to retain the best quality but altered the colors a bit. I think I may stick with that one. photobucket has been butchering pics lately. 

Example. The text in this original picture certainly doesn't look like this

anyhow, I'll take this rant elsewhere. don't wanna derail the ramen train. 

LUCKYDOG said:
I've been using Shirataki noodles and a packet of Herb OX no sodium chicken granuals and add chicken veg or nothing. They are a little hard to used to and must be rinsed but low carb good for those of us looking to control blood sugar and cholesterol. I rinsed mine about 3 times before using or boiling.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm  

I'm surprised you can get them! And yeah soaking/rinsing is good to do for this and konjac too. I freaking LOVE shirataki.

D3monic said:

I tried Imgur, seemed to retain the best quality but altered the colors a bit. I think I may stick with that one. photobucket has been butchering pics lately. 

Example. The text in this original picture certainly doesn't look like this

anyhow, I'll take this rant elsewhere. don't wanna derail the ramen train. 

I actually thought your photos were fine. Did you take them with your phone? Often the DPI of phones makes things look sharper and clearer than they would on a computer screen. I also use Imgur, but only for photos I don't really care about and don't need to manage. Imgur's downside is you have to pay for a pro account to manage more than your latest 250 photos.

AaronTT said:
I do a few different types of ramen noodles, although its not a true ramen. These are made from organic rice, and a few other ingredients depending on the variety. 
attachicon.gif
Casselberry-Altamonte Springs-20150204-00297.jpg

When it comes to Soba, I use 100% buckwheat Soba, which seems to be harder to find. These days when the package says buckwheat noodles, usually its primarily wheat, with a small percentage of it being buckwheat. I get mine from a health food store. I typically add Miso soup and other veggies, along with some chicken or beef, and herbs and spices. Next time I make it, I will have to take a picture.

First time I have ever seen that! Looks like ramen and pho got together and made a baby lol. ;-D

I am not sure about the buckwheat thing in the states. In Japan they are sticklers for doing things they way they've always been done. But they also don't care much for the whole wheat vs white flour debate. For example, bread in this country is pretty much all white flour or a mix of white flour and rice flour. You have to really look to find wheat breads and you'd be really damn lucky if you find a multi-grain bread. Not to go off topic too much lol.

filmost said:

I actually thought your photos were fine. Did you take them with your phone? Often the DPI of phones makes things look sharper and clearer than they would on a computer screen. I also use Imgur, but only for photos I don't really care about and don't need to manage. Imgur's downside is you have to pay for a pro account to manage more than your latest 250 photos.

No my canon rebel t2i with a canon 100mm macro lens. 

Ill look for Konjac noodles. Are they same texture? There is a store that is nearby that is suppoesed to have them. My grocery store had the Shirataki fettuccine and angel hair noodle. 

LUCKYDOG said:
Ill look for Konjac noodles. Are they same texture? There is a store that is nearby that is suppoesed to have them. My grocery store had the Shirataki fettuccine and angel hair noodle. 

Shirataki is made from Konjac, but they also make a Konjac block. The main difference besides shape, is color. Shirataki is normally white (Shira = white) and the Konjac block is usually a gray color, but you can find the inverse as well.

Here's a pic of some Konjac skewers with sweet miso paste. This stuff is the shit, so good!

b0178036_143773.jpg

There are of course other ways to use the block. We often put this in hot pots as well. More specifically Oden, as shown below. You can see the shirataki and konjac on the left side.

03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back