• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2016 Grow

Well, I finally decided to start a Glog.  I have quite a few plants that ore OW from last year, and some new ones that I started this January.  Here is the list, lots of pics to follow, I'm still in the process of planting out.  Most everything is going into root pouches, and pots, but I do have 9 total rocoto plants in the ground as well.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Limo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pacay
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Fantasy Yellow
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)
Rocoto Cusco
Mini Rocoto
Brown Rocoto
Orange Rocoto
Rocoto Peron
Rocoto Montufar
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
Aji Oro (Rocoto)
Aji Largo (Rocoto)
Rocoto Arequipeno
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto
Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate Brainstrain
Pipi De Mono
Aribibi Gusano
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Peach Scorpion
Peach Ghost Scorpion
White Fatalli
Bolsa De Dulce
Tepin x Lemon Drop
PDN x Bhut (Ripens Cream)
Coyote Zan White
Red Primo

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks! I don't know the name unfortunately. I grew them from seeds that my friends mom brought from Peru. She lives in Lima, and bought a bunch of peppers from the market in Miraflores, and deseeded them before she came out to visit the States last time. It's an absolutely massive plant, and quite productive. I've pulled a good 30 pods from it already this season, and there are plenty more ripening. Here is a pic I took today of the plant. The pods are fantastic! Great 5 minute burn, very juicy, and with a tangerine/apricot flavor. The odd thing is that I get a very slightly salty aftertaste after eating them. It's pleasant, but not something I've experienced in other peppers. I have been deseeding the pods, and freezing them to save up and make jelly with them.

While I was outside I snapped a pic of a couple of my in the ground Peru Bitdumis. They are getting big, and putting off copious amounts of pods.

Here are some pics I took this evening of plants that I got from seeds you and I traded.

Aji Oro

Rocoto Peru Cusco

Peruvian Red Rocoto

Do you tried Cusco and Peruvian red?
Thanks! I don't know the name unfortunately. I grew them from seeds that my friends mom brought from Peru. She lives in Lima, and bought a bunch of peppers from the market in Miraflores, and deseeded them before she came out to visit the States last time. It's an absolutely massive plant, and quite productive. I've pulled a good 30 pods from it already this season, and there are plenty more ripening. Here is a pic I took today of the plant. The pods are fantastic! Great 5 minute burn, very juicy, and with a tangerine/apricot flavor. The odd thing is that I get a very slightly salty aftertaste after eating them. It's pleasant, but not something I've experienced in other peppers. I have been deseeding the pods, and freezing them to save up and make jelly with them.

While I was outside I snapped a pic of a couple of my in the ground Peru Bitdumis. They are getting big, and putting off copious amounts of pods.

Here are some pics I took this evening of plants that I got from seeds you and I traded.

Aji Oro

Rocoto Peru Cusco

Peruvian Red Rocoto

az1000 said:
The Cusco is the longest ripening Capsicum I've ever grown. I still haven't had any pods ripen, and there have been some fully grown for well over a month. I'm hoping they all ripen at once. It is still a neat plant, with a large pod production for it's size. The pods look like giant clusters of papaya on the plant.

The Peruvian red is a very good pepper. Sweet and spicy. It isn't as juicy as some of the other rocoto I've grown, but it is still a plant that I will OW. I thought it was a goner earlier this season due to the mites, but it finally recovered, and bounced back with a vengeance. The pods on the rocoto are the fastest ripening that I've seen on a Pubescens. The pods start ripening about 2 weeks after the pods are fully grown.

I was reading through that Peruvian aji book the other other day,and I found it interesting that the country that gets the majority of both aji amarillo and rocoto exports from Peru is the United States, but the majority of the Aji Limo exports from Peru go to the UK.

Have fun doing the super hot tastings with your friends!

Very cool that you have a source for native SA chiles! There's a bodega/restaurant in our area run by a fellow from Peru that stocks the same brand frozen chiles. He also has dried Aji Panca that I add to my powder blend for their fruity sweetness.

I seeded and sampled the Aji Oro pod in your MFRB, and just loved the heat level and flavor! It's kinda mild heat-wise but juicy, mildly sweet and fruity-tasting... perfect for jams and jellies, pastries or in savory dishes. I took a slice out of the middle to get a good idea of the heat and flavor profile and chopped the rest into an egg 'n cheez sammie and loved the results! This chile would be a great addition to chocolate croissants, omelets or quiche. Thanks again for your generosity!

stickman said:

Very cool that you have a source for native SA chiles! There's a bodega/restaurant in our area run by a fellow from Peru that stocks the same brand frozen chiles. He also has dried Aji Panca that I add to my powder blend for their fruity sweetness.

I seeded and sampled the Aji Oro pod in your MFRB, and just loved the heat level and flavor! It's kinda mild heat-wise but juicy, mildly sweet and fruity-tasting... perfect for jams and jellies, pastries or in savory dishes. I took a slice out of the middle to get a good idea of the heat and flavor profile and chopped the rest into an egg 'n cheez sammie and loved the results! This chile would be a great addition to chocolate croissants, omelets or quiche. Thanks again for your generosity!
They only sell the aji Limo frozen or pickled at that market, but it is cool that they even have them available.

Glad you like the aji oro! I'm de-seeding and saving most of the pods to make jelly. I have to excercise a lot of self control not to just eat every one of them fresh as I'm de-seeding them.

I did an MFRB swap with Rick, and he sent me these beautiful Gochus, both dried and fresh. He also sent some delicious peach habanero jam. I tried some of the jam out this morning on an english muffin, and it delicious! I can't wait to try out the gochu in some kimchi I plan on making in a few days. Thank you so much, Rick!

While I was scarfing that english muffin with hab jelly, I did a quick pick of some rocoto. This is my 4th Pubescens harvest this week, with a lot more on the verge of being ripe.

Today is brew day. I'm making a Belgian Tripel with a hefty amount of aji amarillo at the end of the boil and also thrown fresh into primary.

stickman said:
You're entirely welcome Dale! I hope you post pics of your kimchi-making. :party:
I'll definitely post some pics. I'll probably post them in the kimchi section. I plan on a bit of a different approach to this upcoming kimchi, compared to what I normally make. I'm getting close to the end of my last jar of kimchi, so the timing of your gochu arrival is perfect!

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
i still have yet to try one
i'm excited to try my first very soon 
the first couple ripe pods got knocked off the plant by hail, fortunately the plant is dense enough with pods that there were plenty that didn't get damaged as well 
i will try one, then the next bunch that come of that plant go to tctenten. He requested them in a trade :)
I plan on overwintering all of my Pubescence which is going to make things interesting this year, as i have even more i would like to keep than last year  :P
the plus side is i will be able to continue to ripen some late pods, and even have some fresh peppers through winter
the downside is, the two HPS fixtures will be going all winter  :rolleyes:
the things i do to grow peppers this far north  :lol:
Maybe next year i will have much bigger Rocoto harvests. I plan on starting my seeds even early this time, maybe December, and I will have more two year, and even a couple 3rd year rocoto plants

I look forward to your reviews of both color Peru Bitdumi
I will include a Pineapple rocoto review in my next glog update 

:cheers:
I picked a couple of the Peru Bitdumi today. One of each color.

The pods are exactly the same size, weight and density, the only difference is the color.

The pods are not very juicy, and are pretty firm. The inside of the pod only has one strip of ribs. The skin/wall is medium thickness for a rocoto, and the pod is pretty hollow, aside from the rib and seeds. The red one is definitely hotter than the yellow one. Actually, the red one is pretty hot, I'd say around lower end of scotch bonnet heat. Neither color is very sweet, but the yellow one has more of a fruity flavor to it, kind of like a tangerine. They are both really good. I'll probably OW one plant of each color, and plant them away from each other next year.

az1000 said:
Nice review!
My Bitdumi failed to set pods.
Thanks! I have 4 bitdumi plants in the ground, and two are doing very well as far as growth and pod production. The other two plants have been struggling all Summer. They never fully recovered from the mite attack back in early May.

Thanks! I have 4 bitdumi plants in the ground, and two are doing very well as far as growth and pod production. The other two plants have been struggling all Summer. They never fully recovered from the mite attack back in early May.
My plant is healthy and strong ,one of my tallest Pube.
Another plant that I gave to my friend is doing the same.

I snapped a few pepper pics while I was checking the temp on a couple of pork shoulders I have on the smoker.

These two aji amarillo plants are absolutely loaded with pods right now.

These are two different phenos of aji dulce I'm growing. The flavor is the same, but the shape is obviously different.

Judy's Peach Scorpion. Great peppers!

A few farmers market jalapeños

I bottled up the aji limo and rocoto braggot/saison last night. It's got a good kick, and the WLP 565 really did some beatiful work on the grains and orange blossom honey. I can't wait to taste it carbonated!

I brewed the amarillo belgian tripel. I snapped this pic right before pitching the yeast, and putting the lid on the bucket with blow off tube. It is fermenting vigorously right now. I used 11 fresh aji amarillo in this 6 gallon batch of beer. I took out the placenta and seeds from each pepper. I went with WLP500, monastery ale yeast.

Looks like I have a new arachnid friend guarding my aji amarillo.

The daily rocoto money shot. I picked these rocoto while I grabbed those Peru Bitdumi this morning. It is definitely Pubescens season in NOVA!

Im really tempted to grow some Amarillos next year but im a bit concerned about the long growing season.

How would you compared the Aji Dulce to say a....Numex Suave habanero? Which one would have more "habanero flavor"?

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Im really tempted to grow some Amarillos next year but im a bit concerned about the long growing season.

How would you compared the Aji Dulce to say a....Numex Suave habanero? Which one would have more "habanero flavor"?
Just start the amarillo early, and you'll have success. Definitely give it a shot though, they are delicious.

I've never had the numex suave habanero, so I can't make a comparison. The aji dulce has a great Chinense aroma and flavor though.

Devv said:
Nice harvest!

How long before the cold sets in up your way? Another 30 days?

I like the beer making :drooling:  Perhaps one day soon, but I have no clue...LOL
Probably 5-6 weeks before there is any real likelyhood of a hard freeze. My rocoto plants survived a couple of light frosts last year, and were still putting off pods towards late October, before I had to chop them down to stumps, and bring them in for the winter.

tctenten said:
Wow. Just tons of good stuff here. The beer making and the great harvests.
I'm glad you are digging my glog! I've really been enjoying brewing with peppers from my garden this Summer.
Malarky said:
How early did you start those amarillos? How big of bags are they grow in in? Those plants are impressive
Those aji amarillo plants are OW from last year. I have them in 10 gallon root pouches.

Back