• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Top This Sandwich! A sandwich posting game

TOP THIS SANDWICH!

POST A SANDWICH TO BE TOPPED
or
TRY TO TOP A SANDWICH!

HOW TO PLAY:

There are two ways to post a sandwich here.

1. Post what you feel is the best authentic, most unique, or most extreme version of a sandwich (anything goes), which cannot possibly be topped. At the top, post "Top This ____!" Example: Top This Grilled Cheese! Then, tell us about it.

2. The second way to post is to pick a sandwich to try to top. In this post you will mention whose sandwich you are trying to top, and provide a link to it by right clicking the post number (top right of post) and copying/pasting the link to yours. If you post a sandwich here, even if you are trying to top someone, you understand someone may try to top YOU!

GUIDELINES:

If it's not a know type of sandwich, all you have to do is try to top the sandwich using the main ingredient(s) and style of the sandwich, or the "gist" of the sandwich. I'm sure there will be a lot of creativity, so obviously you don't have to "recreate" what they did. The idea is to TOP it with your creativity (or skill!). If they posted a simple yet authentic sandwich, also keep it simple and authentic. Over-the-top isn't topping. It's all about the BEST!

No reposts! Make it for here or don't post it here. :)

This is for fun! It's up to you what tops what but there will be no official winners! Use the Like button.

HigherThisHeat said:
That's a mighty meatloaf sandwich.
Somehow even the white wonder bread seems appropriate
Yeah love me some meatloaf Sammie on white this bread Arnold's premium Italian sandwich bread. Just toast lightly makes a killer sandwich.
CHEERS
grantmichaels said:
What I'm most curious about it, though, is the pie on the (? baking steel) not used in the sandwich ...
Tried to sneak that one by us way to keep your eye on the pie GM :)

Looks good salty!

You gotta know when to use white bread, and the cheap white bun. And this is one of those times!

Ketchup too. The fried onions make it. Mmmm.

oldsalty said:
Yeah love me some meatloaf Sammie on white this bread Arnold's premium Italian sandwich bread. Just toast lightly makes a killer sandwich.
CHEERS

Tried to sneak that one by us way to keep your eye on the pie GM :)

I keep telling Danielle I'm going to buy *HER* some baking steel (she does the baking and all things dough-related in our house) ...

Trying to get this categorized as kitchenware "for her" ... LOL.

The Hot Pepper said:
Looks good salty!

You gotta know when to use white bread, and the cheap white bun. And this is one of those times!

Yes sir there is some things you just got to do old school for that good old comfort food buzz, 6 beers one giant Sammie and food coma couch bound!! Lol

oldsalty said:
Super nice sandwich brother just can't love it sorry I'm a lifetime Bruins fan lol. Love the hockey reference.
CHEERS! :)

Bruins fan........ :)
Longtime Blackhawks fan here........nothing wrong with some B&B on the ice !

My fondest memory of the rivalry was in the early 70's when the Hawks were playing the Bruins in the playoffs (Boston). 
Phil Esposito was awarded a penalty shot against his brother Tony.............Shot and a.....Save !

The Hawks went on to lose the 7th game against the Canadiens for the cup 3-2 after leading the game 2-1
grantmichaels said:
What I'm most curious about it, though, is the pie on the (? baking steel) not used in the sandwich ...

Ha.....sorry about that, the pie is on a small metal peel....and not used in the sandwich, nor the larger focaccia which went with the larger tray of lasagna .
The pizza was one of three I made yesterday, the dough was over fermenting and was beyond it's day. Needed to make a few pies for the games. 
I included the pizza into the background for added symmetry .....tends to drag the lazy eye over...as well a bright object in a photo draws attention
The Hot Pepper said:
Looks good salty!

Agree with the ketchup......especially when mixing the ketchup into the ground mix.

Right on PIC. Living in the south the only ice time you see is in your cocktails!!
Love talking hockey and always good to meet a fellow fan.
CHEERS

PIC 1 said:
There's an insane amount of craftmanship here!
Also, a pizza!
I wonder how you put all that together making it seems worth of a king's meal and not of the crappy food thread! If i even attempt to make something, let's say, 1/4 as complex as that all falls apart. And here's my proof of that!

TOP THAT...
Wtf, this won't top anything, just some high quality ingredients and a killer combo.
Some ciabatta (not from a big one that is best, but still good)
Some beef stripes cooked with rosemary (and garlic and sage...). Why i used that? Because i had to finish them.
Garlic rubbed on bread.
More sage.
Gorgonzola spreaded on bread.
Homemade tomato puree.

Last 4 are an awesome combo wich is excellent for pasta.

Also some moruga powder for the heat and some more cheese (latteria).

ibi83KetrTx0pM.jpg

iLxqt9OfZBSDW.jpg

You can only slap yo mama... not punch others'.

Looks good. Fresh sage on the bread? Or you had some of the cooked sage left from the meat?

grantmichaels said:
That looks awesome, Essegi ... I like food that I have to eat over the sink ...
Thanks! ;)
But really, that is 1/10 complex compared to PIC 1 thing and looks 10 times crappier! :D

JayT said:
I'd punch TB's mama to get that sandwich in my mouf.
Poor TB mama! :rofl:

The Hot Pepper said:
You can only slap yo mama... not punch others'.

Looks good. Fresh sage on the bread? Or you had some of the cooked sage left from the meat?
A bit of all, i rubbed the sage on the bread, then i put some leftover pieces all around, i put too remnants of garlic, sage and rosemary in the bunch, just because it seemed the right thing to do.
Beef was wasted here since it didn't add really something (but as i said i used just because i had it, speck is the way to go with gorgonzola) but at least sage/garlic/gorgonzola/tomato worked.

Look great Essegi! You have inspirated me to lunch a sandwich

Toasted grain bread, sasonated and roasted chicken fillets, tomato slices, ruccula and  blue chesse melted on the chicken. Was delicius...

almost forgotten, chicken had ghost scorpion powder courtesy of @Stickman, He send to me days ago.

20141126_140751.jpg

20141126_140746.jpg

20141126_140703.jpg

PIC 1 said:
Top Thathttp://thehotpepper.com/topic/51282-top-this-sandwich-a-sandwich-posting-game/page-2#entry1073053

Here are some of the ingredients that went into the sandwich: Basil, Bombay Morich Peppers, Carrots, Garlic, Onion, Ground Veal, Beef Shank, Egg, Hot Italian Sausage, Lasagna Sheets, Focaccia Dough, White Wine, Fresh Motz, Ricotta, Parm, Piave Vecchio Cheese's, Mild Provolone, Chopped Spinach, Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato Paste.

This Bolognese style sauce starts out with the browning of the Beef Shanks. The meat will then gets braised with 1c of White Wine in a 325d oven for 2 hrs.

Both Ricotta Cheese and frozen Spinach were drained overnight of any liquids. Both were mixed together with a bunch of Basil, 1 Egg, grated Nutmeg and Parm Cheese.

Veal and minced Italian Sausage were browned in a pan. Chopped Garlic, Onion and Tomato Paste were added and the mix was sauteed for 5 minutes. The addition of 2c of Wine and 1 qt of Crushed Tomatoes and Basil were added. Sauce was brought to a boil and reduced to a low simmer for 2 hrs....half way through add shredded Beef Shank. Reduce the Bolognese down until most of the liquid is evaporated.

Focaccia Bread was baked at 375 until golden........the pizza in the background was a snack during the football games....

Crushed Tomatoes in the bottom of the pan then the first layer of noodles followed by the Ricotta/Spinach mix....followed by another noodle then the meat mix and fresh Motz.......repeat until all 7 layers are completed.

Top layer of Lasagna was topped with Crushed Tomatoes, Fresh Motz/Provolone and grated Piave Vecchio. The pan was covered in foil and baked at 375d for 45 minutes. Foil removed , and additional 15 minutes of bake before finished.

Spinach and Meat Lasagna Sandwich.......

WOW, Brother you really know how to make a guy go all emotional and stuff. Told my wife that's all I want for Christmas :) but, how did you get your mouth around that monster?

oldsalty said:
Good old fashioned meatloaf sandwich with spicy habenero ketchup caramelized onions and peppers! And gooey cheese
TOP THAT

That brings back memories of High School. My mom made some really killer meatloaf and I'd always have a sammie for lunch the next day.

Essegi said:
There's an insane amount of craftmanship here!
Also, a pizza!
I wonder how you put all that together making it seems worth of a king's meal and not of the crappy food thread! If i even attempt to make something, let's say, 1/4 as complex as that all falls apart. And here's my proof of that!

TOP THAT...
Wtf, this won't top anything, just some high quality ingredients and a killer combo.
Some ciabatta (not from a big one that is best, but still good)
Some beef stripes cooked with rosemary (and garlic and sage...). Why i used that? Because i had to finish them.
Garlic rubbed on bread.
More sage.
Gorgonzola spreaded on bread.
Homemade tomato puree.

Last 4 are an awesome combo wich is excellent for pasta.

Also some moruga powder for the heat and some more cheese (latteria).

Have to go with Grant on this one, love me some sink hanging sammies!

cypresshill1973 said:
Look great Essegi! You have inspirated me to lunch a sandwich

Toasted grain bread, sasonated and roasted chicken fillets, tomato slices, ruccula and  blue chesse melted on the chicken. Was delicius...

almost forgotten, chicken had ghost scorpion powder courtesy of @Stickman, He send to me days ago.

Great bread and cool sandwich, I really love seeing the influences of different areas and what goes into something we all make. Blue Cheese on that Chicken breast must have been killer!

There are a great deal of epic sandwich's on here but lets throw my Oxides Special Pulled Pork Sandwich to the mix

Image #1, My Weapons of the Evening:
wS5u2Le.jpg

Image #2, The Money Shot W/Special Guest Lucky Dog Pink Label 
JYeXw6p.jpg

Image #3, More sandwiches!! 
wkm6EUs.jpg

Special shout-out to Scott over at Lucky Dog Hotsauces, I put that delicious sauce on pretty much everything!!!

Looks good. Nice toast and butter on the bun ...

I'm giving you a gadget multiplier ... mostly because you reminded me of the 1st time I smoked something using the Cameron stove top smoker, here, like 3 years ago ...

Back