• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Top This Sandwich! A sandwich posting game

TOP THIS SANDWICH!

POST A SANDWICH TO BE TOPPED
or
TRY TO TOP A SANDWICH!

HOW TO PLAY:

There are two ways to post a sandwich here.

1. Post what you feel is the best authentic, most unique, or most extreme version of a sandwich (anything goes), which cannot possibly be topped. At the top, post "Top This ____!" Example: Top This Grilled Cheese! Then, tell us about it.

2. The second way to post is to pick a sandwich to try to top. In this post you will mention whose sandwich you are trying to top, and provide a link to it by right clicking the post number (top right of post) and copying/pasting the link to yours. If you post a sandwich here, even if you are trying to top someone, you understand someone may try to top YOU!

GUIDELINES:

If it's not a know type of sandwich, all you have to do is try to top the sandwich using the main ingredient(s) and style of the sandwich, or the "gist" of the sandwich. I'm sure there will be a lot of creativity, so obviously you don't have to "recreate" what they did. The idea is to TOP it with your creativity (or skill!). If they posted a simple yet authentic sandwich, also keep it simple and authentic. Over-the-top isn't topping. It's all about the BEST!

No reposts! Make it for here or don't post it here. :)

This is for fun! It's up to you what tops what but there will be no official winners! Use the Like button.

Yes, I could, but the reaction heat of firewood on the cheese rind would not have. That crust is what enhances the flavor. This is achieved grilling the frozen cheese, once made the hard crust on both sides, the cheese is melted inside.

Grilled Provoletta = 10 points
Coocking In pan = 4 points

Next Sunday cooking to grill a provoletta. So see how to do it  ;)

I don't like freezing stuff that doesn't need to be frozen. I've grilled many a cheese but the pizza screen works wonders.  I put it to soften on the top rack for a bit, then transfer to the main grate on a pizza screen, let it get grill marks, and flip, let it get grill marks. Nothing can drip away due to the density of the screen. I then put it aside to solidify for about two minutes.

I have tried in many ways and this is the better. I understand its shape and not bad, but I guarantee that no method better than freezing.

Frozen in no way alters the cheese. I'll show Sunday

I only like freezing things which have been vacuum sealed or cryovac'd or something of this form of air reduction ...

The gadget I've been refusing myself for 3-4 years already is a chamber vac ... I'd like one of those, a gas range/oven, and a rancilio silvia espresso machine ... at some point.

I'm positive I won't be having any of those things until after Danielle has THE ring on her finger, or else ...

cypresshill1973 said:
Grilled Provoletta = 10 points
Coocking In pan = 4 points
+1000. In grill taste is enhanced. Cooking cheese in pan taste is somewhat fatter in a bad way and consistence much more plastic. I'm not a refined taste, but that nearly doesn't compare.

I only like freezing things which have been vacuum sealed or cryovac'd or something of this form of air reduction ...

Check this out(kinda long but worth it) http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/05/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html not really worth all the trouble because you can make decent fries without doing it.. but they really do come out better. I've used the boiling in vinegar trick with great success for potato wedges, haven't tried freezing them yet though, but there was a difference when I did it with fries.

Heh, might go good with the BK recipe if you get that figured out? :P

Yeah, he's my kind of guy ... test, test, test ... I just sent that one to my tablet for couch time after I finish working in a while ...

Thanks for sharing!

Top This NYC Pastrami Sandwich!

Seedless rye from Rockland Bakery ...
Deli mustard, pastrami, and pickles from Katz's ...
Colesaw and Duke's from Publix, LOL ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127130.386423.jpg

The bread was toasted w/ a Duke's schmear and the Searzall beforehand ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127182.636483.jpg

Both sides, of course ...

The pastrami was vac sealed earlier w/ a turn of freshly ground multi-color peppercorns and a sprinkle of salt, warmed back up to 131F in the sous vide, and then tightened up w/ the Searzall until the meat was iridescent ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127537.593768.jpg

Don't worry about the Searzall, I used the sili-spattie to ship the juices w/ the 'wich ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127627.797307.jpg

Hope you like coleslaw! This is sort of in the grilled Rachel style, but I'm not melting muenster (today) ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127767.504816.jpg

Look, no crushed bread ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127825.144640.jpg

And while I like freshie experience (depicted in goldbely thread), those pickles are The One for this sammie ...

I risked catastrophe, for you ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127919.582411.jpg

Thank God there's two halves, right? The first was kind of inhaled! #notmindful

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419127934.627898.jpg

Cleaned up the board w/ the only scraper fit for sammie innards ...

Danielle said I'm positively glowing, that I look pregnant, but not in the fat way!!?!? (that too after a pair of these today, I'm sure) ...

JayT said:
I think we have our first real Top This competition.  Booma made this a little while back.  Should we have a poll?

It's for fun Jay. And people have been topping the whole time!

I think you'll be posting different kinds of brisket sandwiches all week. :woohoo:

Back