• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Ethnic/Regional Sandwich II

VOTE!

• SumOfMyBits - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33306-begin-ethnicregional-sandwich-ii/page__

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keybrdkid- I really wanted to vote for you, but I didn't get any ehtnic/regional stuff in the description. I didn't read any of the prep posts, only looked at the final posts linked in the poll.

I voted for Saugapepper who didn't have a regional explanation in that one either, but with the name, I figured it was in the prep post. Oops~ Oh Well, the info came out anyway.

Saugapepper- DO NOT apologize for voting for yourself! If you've been watching all the posts all weekend, then you were probably already familiar with the entries. Lots of folks vote for themselves, and if you feel your entry is better, then it's an honest vote.

DTS was right up there also.

Settle down now...
TB did the Texas brisket proud.
That's how they roll in the lonestar state.
Everything's bigger in Texas. Don't mess with it!

I'm an honorary citizen through most of my extended family.
In all of my years in the holler northwest of Houston, I've never seen much slaw.
Haven't even seen a lot of pork.
But raw onions, jalapenos, sometimes pico de gallo, and warm BBQ sauce are in every joint.

...and the onions are sweet and unassuming.
Well played tb.
Way to represent the region!

This is a really close one! The votes are a little low but well spread out. Let's get some more votes!

everything looked great. for me it was deathtosnails.with geeme close behind. congratulations to everyone on nicely done dishes.

Pops to FD4...not the facbiest sammie...and every one fo these was amazing...so for me, it came down to what do I want for lunch tomorrow. Seriously though...they were all excellent...just the perfect combo of "stuff".

And railing on TB for onion? The f'in sammich wasn't a Texas Onion Sandwich...I personally LOVZ me some onion with BBQ...purple, yellow, white, green...all 4 mixed together...I'll take it. But his sammie wasn't centered around the onion...don't let that sway you. Also...pickles, AND pickled peppers is a YES. Some like swee pickles, not me...but I didn't pay attn to what kinda pickle he used...just know that you always put pickles on a TX brisket sammie. TB...you aaaaaalmost got my vote, but I prefer mine sliced in half at more of an angle. ;) Just kidding...you, DTS, sauga, JT, and FD4 all had the #1 spot for me...I had to go with which one I would make if I could only make one before a satelite fell out of orbit and smooshed me.

:D

Everyone votes differently, I vote for what I see and can't pretend something is not there. If this plate was in front of me being judged the onions would be there. But others can vote and say they just imagine it w/o onions. That's fine too. It's preference. I don't like biting into raw white onion. In salads it's okay because it's marinated in dressing, but usually that's red onion. That's about it, other than that, always sauteed for me. Carry on!

Every now and then I try to pretend like black pepper isn't in someone's entry, and just go with looks, but honestly, the flavors are more important to me than the looks.

Some really tasty looking sammies and some equally artsy photography. I voted with my stomach and the "now for something completely different" idea. Saugapepper almost had my vote......nice looking porta roll....and I bet it was tasty.....a chipotle bbq sauce would have won me over...

This was a tuffy! Soooo many scrumptious looking and sounding sammies! Each one had awesome twists and style!

But Wheebz' entry has haunted me from the gate....I'm a sucker for tzatziki!!!! It looked really flavorful (that chicken....dang, it looked sooo tender!), and yet not too heavy. If this TD had been in November......! haha But it's August, and my heart and tummy demanded I vote for Wheebz' creation!

That said, Geeme's work of art and LDHS' Mexican Wonder were super close 2nds! G's looked totally packed with flavor too (and I'm a huge fan of paneer!!! duh! haha), and I've been fascinated with tortas since the Burger TD! That beef looked crazy good LDHS!

Seems like everyone's stepping up their game, and these TDs are getting harder and harder to vote for!!!! It's incredibly impressive!!!!

....and now I have yet another long list of recipes to try out! hahaha Thanks to All for the fun and inspiration!!!! :D

Cooked onions on a Texas Brisket Sandwich would have rendered the sandwich non authentic.

And if a Texas style bbq featured cooked onions, caramelized onions, onion relish, or pickled onion...

I would turn around and walk out the door.

It's just not how its done.

When I was a kid in high school in the Rio Grande Valley we grew Texas Sweet Onions.

I worked at an onion processing co-op bagging 50 pound sacks of them delivered by trucks right from the field.

My mother and I would eat them like apples.

That's how fresh and sweet they were.

If they're sweet I'll try it TB. They looked like the white onions on a liverwurst sammie, the kind that get all up in your nose.

You rocked the briskie. You already know.

This was a tuffy! Soooo many scrumptious looking and sounding sammies! Each one had awesome twists and style!
Agreed CJ! There wasn't a plate on the menu I would be proud to call my own..... or at least lunch/dinner.
I had ta go with DTS entry this time... Cheesy goodness overflowin with cheese and goodness.
You sir rocked it!

My mother and I would eat them like apples.

That explains the blues family sponsorship by Listerine.

Dts your Sammy rocked hardcore! Love that sloppy red sauce!
Crap, they were all good.
And sums Chip Butty deserves more recognition.
We're all drunks and/or stoners here, how damn good is a French fry sandwich?
It's basically British taco bell!

Well, the Brits false started, and therefore couldn't receive a score.

But they get drunk as skunks, and liquored bellies NEED to be fed.

Therefore...

Chip Butty = Doritos loco taco

At least a bronze. They ARE the host country.
And it's better than spotted dick.

...which bear still has, despite many creams and salves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back