• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you guys think of this watch?

Chronographs - the ones that have minutes and hour counters in the subdials, are extremely useful for timing all sorts of things from steaks on the grill to a drive somewhere. Just don't leave the chronograph/stopwatch engaged when not in use because it will drain your battery twice as fast. ;-)

Remember, not all subdial/button watches are chronographs. If the subdials merely show a 24 hour indicator and other funky stuff, it's not a chronograph. The one up there looks like a true chronograph.

If you don't want to deal with battery changes, eventually, go with a Citizen Eco drive or a Seiko KINETIC. Both use methods for recharging a Lithium cell (Citizen = solar and Seiko a mechanical winding pendulum).

Seiko and Citizen make some of the world's best watches. I have Citizen and Seiko watches in my collection and even the snobbiest watch collector has to admit that Citizen and Seiko are not only real watch brands, but that they make great watches and are also far in the forefront of new watch technology than any of the high falutin' Swiss watchmakers. Like I said, it's all what you are after.

Incidentally, Seiko has high end "Rolex style and quality" watches, for the Japanese and Asian market, which cost in the thousands. Citizen also makes the Campanola line of Eco drive and quartz handmade watches, which also cost in the $3-$6K+ range. I know that is not what you are after, I am just letting you know. They are both huge well respected companies which make most of the watches that are sold worldwide. Both Citizen and Seiko have been around for ages and the Japanese watch industry goes back over a hundred years or so - there is real horological history in those companies.

Both brands also own cheaper sub brands like Pulsar and Orient. I'm not sure who owns Orient though, one of them or perhaps another Japanese powerhouse like Casio.

rainbowberry said:
So what do you think of the Casio Baby G watches I like Warlok? Pretty eh?

Well, they are great watches, and durable. I am not personally into plasticky rubbery watches, (just my personal preference) but the Casio G-shock line is probably as tough a time keeper as you can buy, bar none. The female ones are pretty sharp "lookers" (i.e. stylish and sporty and whimsical) for ladies. Some are even solar powered and some use the radio signal to keep themselves accurate - and some use both solar and the radio signal. ;-) These days most military personnel who wear a watch actually wear Casio G-shocks.

==

Today I am wearing a Breitling automatic mechanical dive watch, which I wear most days. When I go home I usually take that off and put on my Citizen Titanium Eco drive dive watch. When I get sick of those I will open the watch box and "mix it up". ;-)

==

I frequent a British watch enthusiast forum, and have made plenty of cyber friends over there in ol' Blighty. (some Americans and Euros and others are there as well - it's mostly British but everyone is welcome) Every Friday they do a "What are you wearing this Friday" thread so I should probably go over there at some point and check in.

That's OK, I like plasticky rubbery things. Thanks for your opinion as I didn't know if they were just expensive because of the name, well they're not expensive I suppose at all, I used to have a solid 9ct gold watch and the hand fell off.

rainbowberry said:
That's OK, I like plasticky rubbery things. Thanks for your opinion as I didn't know if they were just expensive because of the name, well they're not expensive I suppose at all, I used to have a solid 9ct gold watch and the hand fell off.

That is actually a paradox. As far as "quality" goes, an inexpensive watch from a solid brand like Casio, Seiko, Citizen... ..is far "better" or "reliable" than many really expensive watches. I have a very nice German built watch that I have to send back to Germany for a screw down crown repair. The watch costs about ~US$1200. I have heard of other expensive Swiss brand watches where the hands have fallen loose, etc. This happens with "hand made" stuff. You pay more for it, and they are more expensive to produce, and more desirable, but many times they could never "hold" up to an inexpensive but well made plasticky rubbery thing. :P

There are watches out there that cost many many thousands of dollars/pounds/euros. Some cost more than your house or your neighbor's big fancy house. Some cost more than that fancy sports car that James Bond drives.

Some collectible watches that are not "fancy" or decorated or even made from precious metals (plain old steel) can fetch many many thousands of currency units simply because they are rare. Look up prices for the double red Rolex Sea-Dweller dive watches.

Another paradox is that quartz keeps far more accurate time than a mechanical watch, even the chronometer rated ones. People pay big money for these little mechanical wonders, but they can never be as accurate as a much cheaper quartz "computer". the money and desirability is in the workmanship, the art, the longing for a simpler time, the "oldness" that it embodies, etc. Much more involved in the watch hobby than simple "timekeeping". As I said, paradoxical (if not downright puzzling) to the non watch collector.

i think a lot of guys like to be stylish, but not that metrosexual kind of look just manly type style, and watches are the only really manly kind of accessory you guys have to work with.
i'm generally dissappointed with women's watches, i can never find them with the subdials cuz they're always so tiny. i want to time stuff and know the date too, a sideeffect of student life is that i never know what day it is cuz the only dates i know are due dates. now i just don't wear a watch, i find someone is always willing to give me the time...

GrumpyBear said:
i think a lot of guys like to be stylish, but not that metrosexual kind of look just manly type style, and watches are the only really manly kind of accessory you guys have to work with.
i'm generally dissappointed with women's watches, i can never find them with the subdials cuz they're always so tiny. i want to time stuff and know the date too, a sideeffect of student life is that i never know what day it is cuz the only dates i know are due dates. now i just don't wear a watch, i find someone is always willing to give me the time...

You are in luck. It is actually VERY stylish for women to wear large mens watches. The larger the better. It is actually MORE stylish for a woman to wear a huge Pie pan mens watch than for a man to wear the same. If a man wears a watch that is too large for his wrist, it tends to look like he is compensating for lacking it elsewhere. Women can do it with little effort or concern.

My wife stole my automatic mechanical Hamilton chronograph. (Day, Date, chronograph stopwatch too) It's not huge, but it is thick and 42mm across and still large for a woman. Looks great on her and she loves it.

This is it on MY wrist.

DSC_0638.jpg

I don't, but some people do. A cousin of mine who used to be a policeman does, because they used to find it quicker to flip their hands towards them while it was on the steering wheel of the cop car. Problem is, if it's a nice watch that is a great way to bang the crap out of it on desks and things.

Looks like the watch I want is only sold in the Asian market, so I have to order it from Singapore. WTFFFFFFFFFF

SnakeDoc said:
Looks like the watch I want is only sold in the Asian market, so I have to order it from Singapore. WTFFFFFFFFFF

You won't get a US warranty on that either. Although in fairness most Citizen/Seikos never need warranty work.

I dunno.

If it was a Citizen International warranty, you would have to send it to Japan or something for repair, since Citizen USA ONLY services US market watches. I know this for a fact.

I traded my US market Citizen Eco chrono to a fellow watch guy for a Seiko automatic "Japan market" watch. No warranty on that but what the hey.... it's only a watch.

Traded this:

IMG_0643.jpg

For this:

IMG_1598.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg

I just have an old crummy watch that is falling apart at the strap. I was in Iraq with it in 04 and I'm really attached to it. Wife tells me I should get a new one, but it has sentimental value. Only time I take it off is when I shower. I feel naked without a watch. It's good to always have to time so you can make a hardtime and plan things.

Coolest watch I've had was a 1947 14k gold Elgin I got for $10 at a thrift store. It worked too...but got stolen a long time ago, unfortunatly.

Current watch is a Eddie Bauer "LG 3-eye #3752" I've had for a whille..bought NIB for $40 at a hock shop. Retailed for $150-ish at the time.

S6302863.JPG

S6302867.JPG

It's been dropped 30' onto concrete, beat to hell doing various work, lost the top glow bit on the ring, and still keeps nearly perfect time except for the day/date stuff that I can't really read anyway as it's too small. :)

IDK why they used cheap plated basemetal on the body though, when the rest of it is SS...:(

I'm sure it is tough, but see how the finish is worn off and there is brass or something underneath? I could never wear that. That is the type that turns green in reaction to my sweat, and makes a stinky smell and turns my skin green.

Back