• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

I love teh naan. I would eat that with handcuffs on behind my back! I lived in the Azores when I was a kid. I still remember the snausage there. Portageeze chorizo rocks harder than chinese arithmetic. That pizza kills!

Lucky! The only Portugeuse sausage that was easy to find around here back then was linguica. Which is still pretty tasty stuff. But I'm loving the provincial chorizos that are popping up lately.

That did look good EOF. That gives me a great idea (the Naan) for how I will use the leg of lamb in my freezer. I think it will be giant Gyros with cucumber yogurt bhut sauce. Gonna have to thaw that puppy out now.

Doh! Well I missed the deadline for the Throwdown by about two hours. I was too in love with my idea to deviate and show off a lesser weenie than the Fresnokie Dog could be. It cost me a shot at the crown but it was worth it! Home made chili powder with 8 different types of pepper and a little each of cumin, oregano and thyme really came together beautifully into a greasy Pink's style chili with a nice extra kick. The weenies were dry rubbed with the same chili powder and allowed to marinate for a while before frying. And then I made a simple chopped chili relish from some de arbols, manzanos and serranos with a little salt, garlic, lime juice and vinegar. Topped it all with some shreeded pepper jack and cotija cheese and wrapped it all up in a tortilla. It's outta sight! Hot, juicy with lots of smokey dried and bright fresh chili flavors and just spicy enough to get your lip sweating.

Chili pepper party
008-3.jpg

Weenie marination chamber
013-2.jpg

Chili just like Pink's! But with flavor and spice. And 10% more grease!
015-1.jpg

Ooo! Thats a mighty pile of fixins on that weenie
026.jpg

All wrapped up
029.jpg

Been busy doing a couple of reviews the last couple days. In doing so, I made a few spicy meals. I figured this would be a good place to show a couple of the food pics. First, was SL's Texas Creek BBQ Sauce. I chopped up a red hab or caribbean red, (not quite sure which it is) and added it to some ham I panfried. When the ham had most of the moisture cooked out and began to brown just a bit, I added SL's sauce and cooked it a little longer.

100_8496.jpg

100_8500.jpg

100_8501.jpg

Makes great sammies.

Next, today I decided to review AJ's Naga Morich Puree. For this, I added some to some marinara sauce I was already cooking on the stove (I actually ladled some into a bowl and added a teaspoon of puree), then put it over a sausage sandwich.

100_8560.jpg

Next, I used it as a condiment over top of a pork and cheese quesadilla. A little sour cream to temper this amazing heat.

100_8561.jpg

Actual reviews will be live in the next day or two.

Got just a little happy with the spice cabinet just now. All of this is in the pot so far:
r1.jpg

And the pot they went into:
r2.jpg

Smells delish! Wonder what will come next? It will be a couple hours before we know....

LOL p2k! That would be all those spices plus beef sauteed in pepper-infused olive oil, tomatoe sauce and beef broth.

Added white and red onion and a bit of potatoe:
r3.jpg

Then bell pepper and zucchini:
r4.jpg

Finished off with tomatoes, black beans and corn:
r5.jpg

The spices? Garlic, marjoram, oregano, basil, sea salt, coriander, tarragon, sage, cumin, allspice, paprika, chili powder, chipotle powder, naga blend and douglah blend. Yep, think that's it! Now excuse me, please.... think I'll go refill my bowl now.

chicken adobo (tastes much better than it looks) over rice.
ingredients: chicken (marinated overnight), 12 cloves garlic, mexican oregano, white pepper, red wine vinegar, lime juice, tequilla, 6 serranos, salt, olive oil, and a bit of judy's trinidad volcano chile powder for some extra heat.

chicken stock added before going into oven:
P1020660.jpg

out of the oven on the rice - very nice heat, very nice spice. good combo of citrus and chile. i put some green chile verde on top (i know its from a can)
P1020661.jpg

Back