• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

P. Dreadie's Trinidad Pork Stew:

3lbs pork – cubed into 3/4 inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 cloves of garlic – thinly sliced or crushed
1 teaspoon fresh or bottled ginger – sliced. (use 1/2 if it’s ginger powder)
2 tablespoon vegetable oil (one that can withstand high heat)
1 medium onion – chopped
1 medium tomato – chopped
2 tablespoon cilantro (or 2 tbs Trinidad green meat seasoning)
1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 hot pepper (I chickened out and used Serranos)
1 green onion or chive – chopped
2 sprigs of fresh thyme (1 teaspoon dried)
1 lime or lemon or 3 tablespoons of vinegar
1 small shallot

browning the brown sugar (I was a little nervous about this, but it really wasn't that hard)
WP_000039.jpg

browning the pork in the brown sugar

WP_000046.jpg

cooking down all the goodness

WP_000048.jpg

on the plate and in my belly

WP_000053.jpg

It was really good. I needed to put some more green in it, and I will next time. Also, I won't be afraid to add a proper pepper either. Serranos were fine, but not authentic. Awesome recipe!

Looks Super !! I like that you added okras .... love 'em in stews . I add sweet potato or what ever is hanging around. I see you used a Zuc it looks like. Glad the brown sugar didn't give you a problem ...... I know it sounds crazy, but it works nice. Well pleased you liked what you ended up with and may try it again. Play with this and make it yours !!

When you cook this for the wife she'll be well pleased !! But she has to clean up .... ha !

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Last night. Mezkin pizza.
11 by 9 sheet. Masa tortilla dough( thin thin).
Homemade mater, onion, garlic, culantro, sauce with a little chopped orange hab and ancho paste.
Smoked Gouda
Wanna be Vidalias
My Italian sausage ( ground)
Homemade refried black beans.
Pepperoni
Chopped fresh Jalapeno on top with shredded cabbage and sour cream.
Caesar salad on the side.

Didn't taste like chicken. :tear:

Chewi ...... cause of you ... guess what the eats for tomorrow's gonna be ? One thing I do that I think you didn't is what island people call "seasoning" . I put the pork inna' bag with the onions , green onions , spices & herbs .... yada yada ... let that sit over night. It is a bit of a pain because you have scrap them off the pork before you start browning the pork. But it does add something to the over all flavor. After I brown the pork chunks I add the veggie "seasoning " and go from there. Adding things like the okra , sweet potato , tomatoes later as it's cooking.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

DSCF3210.jpg

See that is advanced preparation! You are right, I did omit that step. I bet it does add to it. The amazing thing making that was the smell of the pork as it was being browned in the brown sugar. Really great. I pretty much put Zuc in everything since its so good this time of year.

A super complete dinner with a lovely kick!

FcyhE.jpg

- shredded grilled chicken seasoned lightly with salted chili powder
- canned white beans in tomato sauce (to which I added hefty amounts of habanero puree)
- raisins
- fresh salad (1 whole chocolate habanero finely minced, half a diced tomato, plenty of minced onion, 2 minced sprigs of curled parsley, some diced green bell pepper, juice of 1/5 lemon) topped with crumbled feta cheese and a sprig of flat parsley for garnish

Yum! This was followed by a piece of freshly cut watermelon and some almond milk. :party:

ZgcQQ.jpg

As the saying goes, two is better than one. Two sauces, that is. Had a bit of SalsaLady's Texas Creek Smoked Habanero Garlic sauce left, and just got a bottle of Lucky Dog Hot Sauce's Unlucky Squirrel.... why not combine them? Smeared some on pork tenderloin, lightly doused with garlic powder, cilantro, and smoked salt, then slapped it on the grill. Deeeeeeelicious!

P1010070.JPG

I can't seem to find it but a while back somebody posted in one of the THP bbq forum threads and tossed in a pic of some roasted cauliflower.

The idea of it has been in my noggin since and last night I decided to try my own version.

I got a whole head that I broke up and then drizzled a little olive oil on. Then I still had a little bit of JayT's Steak Rub (guajillo, poblano, bhut jolokia, habanero, et.al. stuff) so I did a little dusting of that.

Popped the cauli in Black Betty and into a 375f oven.

After about 20 minutes or so I brushed on some ranch dressing.

In Texas we put that sheeit on ever 'thang.

Gave it another 5 minutes in the oven and done.

IMG_3874.jpg

Sometimes you just gotta' have more ranch!

IMG_3877.jpg

I ate about 2/3's of it.

And lemme' 'splain y'all, it was pretty dang guuud!!

That was my dinner last night and I ate it like I was mad at it.

That's some kick-ass looking cauliflower!

(first time that string of words has ever been assembled!)

Looks great, might give that a try!

That's some kick-ass looking cauliflower!

(first time that string of words has ever been assembled!)

Looks great, might give that a try!

Much obliged Fitty.

I was very surprised how good it was indeed.

I asked mrs. blues if she wanted any.

"Are you gonna' pour some queso on it?"

"uhm, no honey."

"Fine. Eat it yourself!"

She followed that up a few minutes later with..

"WTF? Where's my g-damned chocolate!!!!"

Women.

Slammin' TB! Love the stuff. The last I had like that was parmigiano cauliflower, I think it was sauteed though, in EVOO, but it browned up just like that.

I like to be liking me some fried cauliflower with ranch, but that looked pretty good too. You can also make mashed out of it after you roast it, just treat it like mashed taters. Butter, milk, salt, bp, and mash it up. Really good.

Years ago I had a cooking class with a chef from the Yucatan. I didn't learn a darned thing about traditional Mexican/latino cooking. The first thing he pointed out was that not all Mexicans eat tamales and enchiladas and such - to some people in Mexico these are considered to be much like eating McDonald's; not everyone enjoys eating like that. So this is kind of a tip of the hat to the Yucatan chef..... 'cause I don't know how else to think about it just yet. However, I'm calling it "Frenchican" for the time being....

Shredded a whole roast chicken, tossed it with cayenne, cumin, garlic, and Mexican oregano, then set it aside while the sauce was being made.

Sauce is a white wine mushroom ancho chile pepper sauce, with cayenne powder, onion and garlic.
e1.jpg

Mixed a bit of the mushroom sauce in with the chicken, rolled the chicken mixture in corn tortillas, placed in a casserole, covered with the rest of the sauce, then covered in foil and baked until bubbly. Here ya go....
e2a.jpg

Gratuitous inside shot:
e3.jpg

I liked this enough I would make it again, but with a few changes: I would use a dryer wine than I used tonight, and I would also use more ancho chiles. I would also put cumin and oregano in the mushroom sauce while it was cooking. Tweaks to take it over the top.

G, I'm feelin' ya' on the hongos on chicken play I'm trying to wrap my noggin' around the concept of cumin and chile's involved.

Damn THP for training me to eat with my eyes and without smell and taste.

I know what I see in the pics but my mind keeps suggesting savory chicken and mushroom and can't associate the flavors of the chile's with the dish.

Just keep repeating to yourself "Frenchican"..... it will be alright! ;)

I get it, entirely. I had a hard time wrapping my head around it, too. But then I wrapped my teeth around it, and everything was new and different, but good.

Just keep repeating to yourself "Frenchican"..... it will be alright! ;)

I get it, entirely. I had a hard time wrapping my head around it, too. But then I wrapped my teeth around it, and everything was new and different, but good.

And thats all that matters, If it suits your tastes thats what its all about.

Back