• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

I tried my hand at making jamaican patties.    The filling turned out really good but the pastry needs major work.  I wanted to avoid using shortening if I absolutely could but it might have to join the exceptions list if I can't figure out the texture issues. 

7Z2NcRZ.jpg

7R7E5v7.jpg

DgoDmKb.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Pizza or stromboli.

Pizza it is, Crusts prebaking a lil in the oven before they get topped.

made my own lil crust so I can make it as hot as I want to without any bleed over. Wish I had some fresh peppers other than pickled pepperchini. Spicing it up with my smoked pepper blend and firehouse pizza sauce with a spoonfull of Luckydog hot sauce black label. 
I may have used a little too much LDHS but will see. I went with pink label instead. Couldn't find the black in the fridge. I had some aji limon in a bottle of rice vinegar but they was kinda soft and I was leery about them. Looked and smelled good but i'm weird like that. Can't wait until summer and can just go pick a nice fresh pod to eat. 

15mins to wait.... ugh what to do ... what to do.... :high:

Ashen said:
I tried my hand at making jamaican patties.    The filling turned out really good but the pastry needs major work.  I wanted to avoid using shortening if I absolutely could but it might have to join the exceptions list if I can't figure out the texture issues. 

Very nice man! I love Jamaican beef patties. Looks close to the original to me! What's in the dough, Jamaican curry powder and tumeric? I'm used to them a bit brighter, like a bright yellow with a hint of orange. (EDIT: The color in the last pic looks perfect!) I used to live on these things. So good.

Have no idea on the shortening sub. Butter?

I love the chew. Not crunchy like empanadas, and yes, flaky, but not in the same way. They have layers, but have a chew to them. I guess that is what the shortening does, huh?

I say awesome job!

The Hot Pepper said:

Very nice man! I love Jamaican beef patties. Looks close to the original to me! What's in the dough, Jamaican curry powder and tumeric? I'm used to them a bit brighter, like a bright yellow with a hint of orange. (EDIT: The color in the last pic looks perfect!) I used to live on these things. So good.

Have no idea on the shortening sub. Butter?

I love the chew. Not crunchy like empanadas, and yes, flaky, but not in the same way. They have layers, but have a chew to them. I guess that is what the shortening does, huh?

I say awesome job!

yep, that is exactly what I want.  layers with chew not straight up flaky.  it was Jamaican curry powder and turmeric  in the pastry for the yellow colour.  I think the  bakeries  sometimes also add annatto/achiote to get that really deep yellow colour.    I played around with that stuff years ago making puerco pibil, and I remember my hands getting stained yellow worse than the turmeric does. .  I  had a bug to make  the pibil after watching Once upon a Time in Mexico  , and the recipe in the DVD extras. 

Wiener schnitzel with Reaper x moruga powder in the breading and a sprinkle of smoked pepper blend. LDHS red n pink for dipping.

Edit: Oh and the mash taters had roasted pablano in them. 

Breading made from crushed ritz crackers, garlic, pepper, sea salt, onion powder, parsley, oregano, reaper x moruga powder and smoked peppers (mostly butch T and some yellow 7pot with a few scopions)

Pound pork cutlets out flat n thin with a meat pounder, dip in whipped egg, then dredge through crackers and fry in a pan with oil. Good sheit. 

Back