• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

Nah JayT i dont eat them. Usually, though not this time, i will save the shells and heads to make up a prawn stock, which i can freeze for later use.

Geeme has gotten pork chops on my brain... so im going out to buy some later

LOL - geeme: influencing people on the other side of the globe!  :D

Maybe we should start a poll: Do you….
a) eat the heads of shrimp
b) suck the heads of crawfish (mostly a Louisiana and eastern Texas 'thang)
c) eat the tails of shrimp and crawfish (referring only to the uropods and telsons)
d) eat only the abdominal and claw meat of shrimp and crawfish

I am not a fan of any except d. I never got why anyone would actually eat the tails, and was totally confounded when someone seriously told me that was their favorite part. Eating/sucking the heads…. ew. Ew. 

2014-12-30151731_zpsd07fb2c1.jpg

Ended up getting two loin chops and two neck fillets.... just tucked them in with some green onion, garlic, chilli, lemongrass, ginger, fish/soy/oyster sauce and honey.... looking forward to dinner  :dance:

c) eat the tails of shrimp and crawfish (referring only to the uropods and telsons)

I am not a fan of any except d. I never got why anyone would actually eat the tails, and was totally confounded when someone seriously told me that was their favorite part. Eating/sucking the heads…. ew. Ew. 

I always eat some of the tails, a lot of flavor there. I don't eat all of the tails, mostly a texture thing.

sunny side eggs over a potato ,chorizo , onion ,orange  bell pepper hash.  The jumpy jay's  has great jalapeno flavour but pretty low spice level.  I didn't put it on till after the first 2 pics because honestly it has a exorcist green vibe to it , if you know what I mean.  

0jJL43n.jpg

rtJFjlW.jpg

pUrQPIf.jpg

Carnitas. Pork loin rubbed in spices like cumin n sh*t and my smoked pepper blend. 
Tossed in the smoker for a few hours then finished in the oven with pablanos, onions and salsa verde till fall apart. 
vacuum sealed and frozen until day of meal. 

Fry up some bacon, Reheat Carnita meat till crispy in bacon love juice.
Served with bacon and fresh onions sauteed in bacon love juice on a oven toasted tortilla.

Sweet n spicey Meatballs.

Meat seasoned to liking, in this case Worcestershire, pepper, smoked pepper blend, garlic, and wtf ever else I had laying around. 1 egg and crumbled ritz crackers
Rolled into meat balls. 

Bacon rubbed with brown sugar, chili powder and smoked pepper blend

wrapped around meat balls

Smoked and then finished in oven and topped with balsamic reduction and side of homemade bbq sauce

geeme said:

I can't eat shellfish any more due to a developed allergy but when I was a kid in Arizona my dad would take me up into the mountains of flagstaff and we would catch lots of crawdads in the crystal clear streams. we would sit in his truck and just snap the tails off and scoop out the meat and eat them raw. Was fantastic, I remember it being icy cold and refreshing. 

I love meals like that,  growing up a good family friend would throw stuff on his stove before we would go out hunting.  Whatever he had caught earlier, rabbit 4  stew etc,   It was awesome coming back and digging in to that. 

Back