food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

Easy late lunch.

Red potatoes skin on slow roasted 2 hours in butter with fine diced bacon and garlic.
P7292558_zpsxj3qnvgk.jpg

Hot taco sauce on top with sharp cheddar
P7292559_zpsgyuxsp3t.jpg

Finished under the grill
P7292560_zpsek9rrjh8.jpg

Washed down with a few ales
P7292561_zps9dipmmev.jpg

Ingredients: Cucumber, Shallot, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Thai-Bird Chili's, Korean Red & Green Finger Hots, Dried Thai Peppers, Cilantro, Mint, Thai Basil, Galangal Root, Spring Roll Wrappers, Lemon Grass, Rice Noodles, Green Onion, Dried Apricot, Rice Wine Vinegar, Smoked Porked Tenderloin, Meyer Lemon, Lime, Shrimp

Bring 2 qts of water to a boil, add cut and smashed Lemon Grass, sliced Shallot, lime Leaves, Green Onion, Thai- Bird's 3" chunk of sliced Galangal Root, Head of Garlic, slice Lime slices.......reduce liquid to half. Remove pot from burner add Shrimp. When Shrimp turns pink remove from pot, strain and save liquid. Return broth to a strong simmer...add Rice Noodles, cook for 4 min. Remove noodles and rinse under cold running water....set noodles aside. Shell and devain Shrimp, slice in half horizontally....set aside.

Dipping sauce on the left has chopped and water reconstituted Dried Apricots...drained then the addition of both 1/4 c of Rice Wine Vinegar and Meyer Lemon is added. Puree with blender and strain through China Cap. Add crushed Dried Thai Pepper.

Sauce on the right has chopped and smashed Red Korean Finder Hots, along with a few clove of Garlic, 1" minced piece of Galangal Root, Rice Wine Vinegar and Canola Oil.

The build.......soak 8" Spring Roll Wrappers in warm water for 10 sec. Add Leaf Lettuce, Rice Noodles,  thinly sliced Korean Green Peppers, Mint Leaves, Cilantro, Garlic Chives, sliced Cucumbers, sliced Smoked Pork Tenderloin, Thai Basil Leaves and Shrimp. Fold both sides inwards then tightly roll from the bottom to the end of the wrapper.
Keep Spring Rolls covered to prevent drying out or sticking together.

Plating shot of the Asian Spring Rolls............at dusk.....while....... the sun and beer go down

Nice job with the rice paper rolls PIC1.  They are fantastic warm weather food.  Have you tried this method?  Bite the ends off a roll, suck up the dipping sauce until you can just taste it then inhale the whole thing and chew for a few minutes tasting every flavour and enjoying the contrast of textures.  Good times!

The dipping sauces I have most enjoyed are the homemade Vietnamese or Cambodian ones.  Very similar.

Deathtosnails said:
Nice job with the rice paper rolls PIC1.  They are fantastic warm weather food.  Have you tried this method?  Bite the ends off a roll, suck up the dipping sauce until you can just taste it then inhale the whole thing and chew for a few minutes tasting every flavour and enjoying the contrast of textures.  Good times!

The dipping sauces I have most enjoyed are the homemade Vietnamese or Cambodian ones.  Very similar.

I agree DTS, great warm weather food.

That's the way to do it, the dipping sauce shouldn't be considered a toe wetter but more of a full dive. Let that roll soak up the sauce like a paper towel........... :lol:
Also works well with the smaller version of the deep fried spring rolls made with spring roll pastry skins. You get that soggy , flaky, crunch !

JayT said:
He, along with DTS have always been the best photog/cooks on THP. Joyner is right there too. I like to think I can cook on that level, but I don't have the presentation or photography skills.

It's ok, I feel the same way.

Composition with a balance between live and staged. He nails it. Magazine quality but you know he's cooking and eating and not fooling around with too much staging, lighting, primping. This could even be iPhone. He's just good at it. Damn good.

JayT said:
He, along with DTS have always been the best photog/cooks on THP. Joyner is right there too. I like to think I can cook on that level, but I don't have the presentation or photography skills.

Bierz is the new one with the killer pics. And food!

I actually can take the pics, I just can't yet produce and arrange the full course plate worth the hassle yet ...

One day ...

Actually, I am planning something I intend to photograph well ...

I'm planning to see how many things I can cook sous vide in the brew kettle while brewing in the near future, and I mean bringing all the game I can muster on it ... some stuff during the mash, some stuff in the boil, ice bath for sous vide with the wort etc ...

That's the post I intend to launch a gastropub blog with, so as to properly introduce all that will come behind it =)

Back