favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Im sad to say with all this 100 plus degree weather we've been having, that i lost my Blue Mystery plant...  But onto greener pastures here is my CGN 17020 that is planted at work...

CGN 17020

IMAG0038_zps53f91908.jpg

I know its kinda blurry but i was having camera issues on my phone...
IMAG0037_zps3a20acfb.jpg

Tried hard to do that and it just won`t focus. It`s even in macro mode. I do have another 10 photos that are worse than this one, though! I NEED a new camera. I tried to hand-pollinate this flower with a paintbrush, so it has waned significantly since yesterday. There is another bud forming, so maybe I`ll get better pics next time

My rhomboideum is also flowering, but I can`t get decent photos of that, either. 

I used to take pics with a Nikon F3 and 55mm micro lens/bellows. It`s just too painful to find film and get it processed these days, plus i don`t have a darkroom anymore. Then again, anything would be better than what crappy photos I`m getting now. 

Now those are proper photos!!! Nice work. 

I suspect next year will see me grow far more wilds than this year. This year was just a see-what-happens year for wilds. I find them more interesting than growing strains of chinense or annuum etc. 

Nobody likes a show off John...but in your case we'll make an exception. Nigel, if you haven't had the privilege of surfing through Prod's glog...I would go check it out! Chock full of some of the most amazing pics on the site...or any site for that matter!

Finally got some ripe Charapita Yellows and one ripe Wild Brazil from the plant GA Growhead sent me (yet another BA member here!) and had the chance to do some side by sides...and glad to say they're a bit different!!! Yes! Here are the photos...

oDDupnG.jpg

To start with my all time favorite, the Pequin, is starting to put some color in the pods...

xs84d2o.jpg

Here are the Charpita Yellows on the plant...not so fun to pic. They're stuck pretty good on there.

jYll55G.jpg

Here is an overall of one of the Charapita plants...

bz8P7Ug.jpg

Today's wild pull...

oEaxKI3.jpg

Up close and personal...

LVdCbhe.jpg

Here is the side-by-side...The Wild Brazil is the more yellow pod in the lower rt corner. The Charapitas are more orange in color and consistently a slightly squished sphere, where the pods on the Wild Brazil are more ball bearing shaped. The Calyx is more cone shaped on the WB and the Charapitas are almost open flat. The Charapitas have a fantastic sweet chinense taste with a short blast of some pretty good heat...will taste the WB for the first time with dinner tonight...

fmF05W8.jpg

Here are the ones on the menu tonight!

That` some nice podage and great looking plants, Shane. I have 2 wild brazil plants and they have bother been flowering like crazy for a month, but not a single pod has set yet. Ah well, maybe later on in the summer.

Awesome plants Shane and stunning up close pics... On that chaparita plant, is the final color orange or is it red?

Portuge said:
Awesome plants Shane and stunning up close pics... On that chaparita plant, is the final color orange or is it red?

Nigel said:
That` some nice podage and great looking plants, Shane. I have 2 wild brazil plants and they have bother been flowering like crazy for a month, but not a single pod has set yet. Ah well, maybe later on in the summer.
Thanks fellas...that's the final color. They're called "Charapita Yellow" but they move past that to orange. 

So I did the side by side taste tonight. Both little pods are thick fleshed for a wild variety. The WB has an edge on heat and hits like a tiny molten sledge hammer then fades quickly. Immediate pronounced Chinense flavor followed by a tart lemony flavor, but not sweet at all. The flavor profile on the Charapita is very similar with that lemony flavor, but has a less pronounced (but still present) Chinense flavor up front along with a nice sweet burn. The burn is quick but not quite as hot as the WB and both burns fade quickly. Both winners, but the Charapita's sweet Habanero-Lemonade flavor wins IMHO! 

Nightshade said:
Yellow charapita look very prolific sounds like an awesome pepper. How many seeds per pod?
They aren't as seedy as most wilds...maybe 15-20 on a bigger pod, and they're very small seeds. I have some halved pods air drying, will have to count as I work the seeds out of them.

I signed up to this forum because of this post! I haven't been able to find a lot of info online for the wilds.
I've grown many other peppers in the past from sweet to superhot but I've only grown one tepin. Really want to start growing and collecting wilds! I would be totally interested in trading or buying. I've got the following...

Tobago Seasoning
African Devil
Fatalii
Fish Pepper
Chile De Arbol
Orange Habeñero
Bhut Jolokia
Early jalapeño burpee
Peach habañero
Mustard habeñero
Pepperonchini *open pollination
Bulgarian carrot *open pollination