• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I only change pots when they're already distressed (bad mix etc) or when the roots are at the bottom of that pot. All the ones I moved to buckets had the root already at the bottom of the 100mm seedling pot and were on the verge of being root bound.

I had to pull and discard about 15 plants yesterday :( to make room for healthier ones. I potted up most of the seedlings left that showed positive growth. Most of the sick ones hadn't spread their roots into the buckets at all. Although some had but were sick anyway. The sickest ones had wet soil in their buckets. I'm pretty sure the problem was a combination of poor drainage due to the soil mix used and the plants being too small for the large sized bucket.

I've changed the soil mix to just budget potting soil, a lot of perlite and no nutrients included so I can control what nutes they are getting. Didn't use any coir-peat because retaining moisture is the problem at the moment. When it gets really hot, and if the soil is repelling water I might use a soil wetter. The roots of the new ones had filled their pots and I had to tease them out a bit so I'm confident they will fare better. :)

For some reason I pissed myself laughing when I saw that too. :lol: I wonder how much extra they charge for him? I sure could use a helper kid in the garden..... :think:

I won't touch Searles stuff after I had a bad experience with one of their products. I'm certainly not saying all of their stuff is bad, but when it comes to gardening stuff, one bad experience with one product is all it can take to turn me off a brand.

Yeah, $20 for 30L doesn't sound toooo bad, I guess, but I wonder how much I would use in my mix?

Nova, you should know this... how much castings does Hippy add to his standard mix of 25L potting mix/10L coir batches?
Alight just asked the question Gassy. By the sounds of it he doesn't include the castings in his mix, rather for the mix you mentioned he adds about half a litre of dynamic lifter.
I know he waters with worm jizz on a regular basis, castings must be reserved for top dressing at a guess.

The only thing that worries me is pests, I got a bit worried about aphids and haven't seen anyone sell neem here in Perth. I was going to get that eco oil stuff tomorow as that's the closest thing I've seen to neem, as there has been a couple of ahpids and there were heap of ants and aphids in the mulched garden bed last year.

You can get Neem oil from hydro stores Pablo. Not very cheap though.

Micca

Great to see peoples plants are coming along and looking good.

Hey Gas interesting Wasps happening there. I have a couple going and will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Just starting to get some fruit happening now so pretty exciting times!

Micca

Alight just asked the question Gassy. By the sounds of it he doesn't include the castings in his mix, rather for the mix you mentioned he adds about half a litre of dynamic lifter.
I know he waters with worm jizz on a regular basis, castings must be reserved for top dressing at a guess.
Cheers, man! Yeah, think I might give the castings a miss anyway... just too expensive to buy at this point in time and setting up my own worm farm isn't really doable ATM either. So jizz it izz!

And he only adds about half a litre of Dynamic Lifter? I've been whacking about a litre / litre and a half in my batches! I just figure if that much is not killing 'em or anything, it can't be bad for 'em.... might be a little overkill by the sounds of it though. :think:

I would keep on adding the same amount, Neil has so many bloody pots to fill if he used a litre per batch it would cost an arm and a leg for all the lifter! :lol:

Great to see peoples plants are coming along and looking good.

Hey Gas interesting Wasps happening there. I have a couple going and will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Just starting to get some fruit happening now so pretty exciting times!

Micca
Fruit time is the best time! :cool:

Keep me updated on them Wasps! I am very interested to see how they turn out as well. I actually have some of the original seed left from last season which I am trying to grow again this season but so far I have yet to get one to germinate. Of course, that was a couple months ago when I was having trouble getting *anything* to germinate so might whack another few in a jiffy tonight and see what happens.....

I would keep on adding the same amount, Neil has so many bloody pots to fill if he used a litre per batch it would cost an arm and a leg for all the lifter! :lol:
Good point. :lol:

While the jumbo bags are fairly economical--at least compared to the small bags--you can really go through that stuff! Dickhead me was actually buying 2.5kg bags at $9/$10 each for awhile there until I saw 17.5kg bags for like $16 or $18 or something! Idiot..... :lol:

Fruit time is the best time! :cool:

Keep me updated on them Wasps! I am very interested to see how they turn out as well. I actually have some of the original seed left from last season which I am trying to grow again this season but so far I have yet to get one to germinate. Of course, that was a couple months ago when I was having trouble getting *anything* to germinate so might whack another few in a jiffy tonight and see what happens.....

I shall do Gas.
Good luck with the germination, i'm like some of the others and now finding it hard to germinate anything at the moment!

Micca

Seeing it has been a while since I have posted anything, here is a piccy of my babies that I started in Winter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The whitish stuff on the leaves is a fungicide, been a real struggle to keep away black spot this year.

Micca

Seems alright when you're only living in it for a week! :lol:

Sounds pretty good. Never actually seen it anywhere though....

Their website listed 2 places around the city area that might stock it. It's not that expensive either, I'm pretty sure I bought a 25kg bag for under $30 in Melbourne.

Back