• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I got a quick question for my Aussie friends about the Billy Boy Strain. From what I understand, the BB strain was "started"/"found" by a grower named Bent? I shot him a message, but I don't know how often he is on so I figurerd someone here could help me out a bit about the origins and development. I have seen a few pod shots and it mentioned throughout the pages, so hopefully someone who is way smarter than me can help me out.

I have a few BB Douglah and Jonah pods and I am gonna do a review on them. I like to have a bit of background to make it more than, hey, I'm hurting, this sucks, where's the beer??

Thanks all!

:cheers:
MAtt

Hey Got a question for yas :) I'm thinking about planting out my seedlings although I have a few 1 degree nights coming up days are between 25-30 though would they be ok?

From what I've been told frost kills chilli plants and at 1 degree not sure I would take that risk.

I got a quick question for my Aussie friends about the Billy Boy Strain. From what I understand, the BB strain was "started"/"found" by a grower named Bent? I shot him a message, but I don't know how often he is on so I figurerd someone here could help me out a bit about the origins and development. I have seen a few pod shots and it mentioned throughout the pages, so hopefully someone who is way smarter than me can help me out.

I have a few BB Douglah and Jonah pods and I am gonna do a review on them. I like to have a bit of background to make it more than, hey, I'm hurting, this sucks, where's the beer??

Thanks all!

:cheers:
MAtt

Hmmm..... I vaguely recall reading something some time back about the BB strains you speak of, Matt, but bugger me if I can remember the details!

Bent (Alphanerd) would have answers for sure. I believe you are correct.... the BB Douglah was a clone from Bent's Douglah. THSC's Douglah is also the same one (passed on from BB to Neil, IIRC).

That's about all I know at this point, sorry, mate!

I obviously know less that that I thought you were talking about billy biker jalapenos :P Was waiting to to see a reply cos I don't know anything about them either.

Hey Guys and Gals, Great to see everyone is well into the new season. And of course being the start of a new season brings all the joys and heartache that we go through at this time. Keep up the good work and keep on Chilliing on Brothers and Sisters! Micca

Best of luck with the upcoming season everyone. I've been really slack and didn't get around to planting any seeds so I'll just have to pop in here from time to time for a look.

Good to see you boys!

Slack indeed, Jimmy. :snooty: Git going and git them seeds in the ground! :P

the one below it is looking like a Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta de Neyde?

Whaaaat... I got jipped! My BJ x PDN from you is green as green can be! :snooty:

J/K! Not totally disappointed. I'm still keen to see how it turns out.

Gonna do my "Mixed Superhots" lucky dip style. :D Only gonna grow one this season and see what I end up with.

Fathead! Good to see you back, mate... looks like you vanished there for a bit.

Your thread is a bit of a hit, aye? Pretty much decided to splice my glog in 'ere last season. Great place to drop stupid questions too. (Done a bit of that myself) :D

Hey, you'd know the history of Bent's Doogie and all that for sure, wouldn't ya?

Congrats on 200 pages!

Mega and Gas, I got a bit of insight from a few on the boards, with confirmation from Billy Boy. I guess Bent had one single Douglah seed from Sara (SR from Trinidad). It germinated, grew out and BB took cuttings from the plant. The rest is "history" :) I have a video review up in a thread in the Hot Pepper talk, my GLog and SS's GLog (if interested). No need to bog this thread down, so here is a quick pic instead.

file-31.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Happy Growing!

Hey Gas how the hell are ya! Looks like everything is in full swing and the production line has started.

Hey I have a question for you. Weren't you growing Bombay Morich last season?
I was interested in finding out how the fruit looked and to what heat/flavour it had?

Micca

Congrats on 200 pages!

Mega and Gas, I got a bit of insight from a few on the boards, with confirmation from Billy Boy. I guess Bent had one single Douglah seed from Sara (SR from Trinidad). It germinated, grew out and BB took cuttings from the plant. The rest is "history" :) I have a video review up in a thread in the Hot Pepper talk, my GLog and SS's GLog (if interested). No need to bog this thread down, so here is a quick pic instead.

file-31.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Happy Growing!

Very nice looking pods there! I remember they were pretty damn gnarly and extremely hot!

Micca

Fathead! Good to see you back, mate... looks like you vanished there for a bit.

Your thread is a bit of a hit, aye? Pretty much decided to splice my glog in 'ere last season. Great place to drop stupid questions too. (Done a bit of that myself) :D

Hey, you'd know the history of Bent's Doogie and all that for sure, wouldn't ya?
I went holidaying with the Bentley not so long ago, was a week of bourbon and beer ahhhhh good times!

All i know about the history of said Douglah is that Bent WILL NOT TELL ME WHO THE F%^K GAVE IT TO HIM! So umm yeah, not much. I do know that the Reverand wanted to keep the seeds from one Bent sent him but also wanted to do a test on it. This required him to use water and a sieve about eight hours later. :rofl:

Hey Gas how the hell are ya! Looks like everything is in full swing and the production line has started.

Hey I have a question for you. Weren't you growing Bombay Morich last season?
I was interested in finding out how the fruit looked and to what heat/flavour it had?

Micca

Hey mate!

Actually a bit behind this season. Got about half my starts done about a month ago but still have to get around to the rest! Just waiting for some Jiffys to come in the mail and fingers-crossed start the rest end of this week. Good news is, dropped a bunch of Californicus predator mites on top of my plants to take care of the broad mites and so far they appear to be doing their job. :D Now just have to figure out how to take care of bloody fruit fly. How are things looking on your end?

Managed to steal a few Bombay Morich pods off the fruit flys. From what I remember, the taste was a combo of chinense and annuum. Quite a bit annuum-so that I half suspect hybrid... but then nothing about the plant really stood out to me as having annuum heritage. Looked pretty much chinense to me. I think it may have had a bit of heat (can't really remember now), but was nothing what I was hoping. I'm sure I would have added it to this seasons starts list quick as sticks if the heat had impressed me. I'm a big annuum fan so it could have turned out to be the perfect chinense for me... just a shame about the heat level.

I'm keen to give it a proper try though so I did overwinter the plant. It's not in the best of shape but I'll see what happens. Might even chuck it in the ground and see if it doesn't take to that a bit better. Or might even start a new one yet too... just playing it by ear.

Only photo I can seem to find ATM:

IMG_7005.jpg

Things are going well here thanks Gas.
The little babies are going well. Germinated 50 odd varieties with around another 40 odd to go when I can find some space!

Cheers for the info too. I had only a couple of fruit last season but didn't seem to look like/taste like or have the heat the Morich family does.
I have also been growing this variety from AVDRC but has been difficult to get any fruit from them. I have got some more in so will see how they go.

Micca

Hi Guys and Gals,
Picked this badboy the other week-

ROCOTO MANZANO ORANGE

The Rocoto must be the juiciest Pepper I have come across.
Leave it cut open on the bench for a while and have a look at the puddle of juice it leaves behind!

I have kept the seed from this one so if anyone is interested in growing this then send me a PM and will send some to you :cool:

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

Can I ask where you sourced yours, Micca? (The non-AVRDC ones)

I would definitely not put the ones I grew in the same family as Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia, etc, either. Looking at PepperLover's image of them (where I sourced mine), one couldn't be blamed for thinking they may be closely related though: http://pepperlover.c...uemart&Itemid=1

Do you recall detecting an annuum-like flavour from yours? Or at least a strong sweetness? Reading PL's description, she mentions hers are very sweet. I guess that is what I am detecting as an annuum flavour.

Although somewhat a "mogrel" taste, I think I actually quite liked it now that I think about. It really is a shame about the heat level.

Just out of curiosity too, how does the AVRDC work??

Mine were also from Pepperlover.
I remember being pretty disappointed with the heat and taste(which I think was Annuum). I am a bit biased seeing I only like Chinenses :P

You ask about AVDRC? I requested some seed from there a few years back.
I had to sign a declaration but they got through. I think it's harder to get from them now?

Micca

Hi Guys and Gals,
Picked this badboy the other week-

ROCOTO MANZANO ORANGE

The Rocoto must be the juiciest Pepper I have come across.
Leave it cut open on the bench for a while and have a look at the puddle of juice it leaves behind!

I have kept the seed from this one so if anyone is interested in growing this then send me a PM and will send some to you :cool:

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

What's the origin of your C. Pubescens variety?

My Locato plant #2 has its first flower open for the season and still has 5 pods from last season on it. Time will tell if it can pack on another flush of pods.

Back