• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
That works for me, moo. I pretty much feed only myself and thus probably won't ever have a big enough pile of kitchen scraps to waste on them. :) In a case where I might end up not feeding them enough, I can see myself going out to get them good whole produce and chopping it down for them.

Who loves and grows sweets? This thing is awesome:

H7Qm1BM.jpg

Grueso de Plaza. Spanish variety. Crisp and juicy. Very sweet. Very tasty. Flavour is fresh and earthy (in a good way). The plant itself is hardy and is shaping up to be one heavy producer indeed. This is the second round of production since the start of spring. My only complaint is that I have not seen much happening in size department. I hold high hopes for the third set of fruit, though.

Anyone growing any sweets this year?

Yay! This happened overnight too:

WiRcERB.jpg

I was a bit surprised as there was no action at all when I checked last night and then I woke up to that. Mostly different types, 5 days. Not overly impressive but I've never seen so many different types come up at the same time. As much as I hate humidity, the hot and humid conditions here over the last week appear to be good for something! Well, for that, and we have had some incredible storm shows over the last week.

gasificada said:
That works for me, moo. I pretty much feed only myself and thus probably won't ever have a big enough pile of kitchen scraps to waste on them. :) In a case where I might end up not feeding them enough, I can see myself going out to get them good whole produce and chopping it down for them.

H7Qm1BM.jpg

Grueso de Plaza. Spanish variety. Crisp and juicy. Very sweet. Very tasty. Flavour is fresh and earthy (in a good way). The plant itself is hardy and is shaping up to be one heavy producer indeed. This is the second round of production since the start of spring. My only complaint is that I have not seen much happening in size department. I hold high hopes for the third set of fruit, though.

Looking tasty! I'm growing some sweets. Grabbed some seeds from a red bell pepper and got a heap of them to sprout. Hopefully i'll get a good harvest from them.

gasificada said:
Yay! This happened overnight too:

WiRcERB.jpg

I was a bit surprised as there was no action at all when I checked last night and then I woke up to that. Mostly different types, 5 days. Not overly impressive but I've never seen so many different types come up at the same time. As much as I hate humidity, the hot and humid conditions here over the last week appear to be good for something! Well, for that, and we have had some incredible storm shows over the last week.

Nice one!

gasificada said:

I think I might have a sweet Datil growing somewhere. Now don't be fooled by the sweet bit..............hahahaha
Nah no sweets, I like em spicy.

Hey Mate with the worm farm it can be a real pain specially if you don't eat vegies like me(except chilli and toms), but after killing them a few times have managed to work out a few tricks.
The worm wiz is pretty damn good but still needing into looking at how to get the black gold from it.
Probably pretty easy if I read the instructions in the first place   :P

Nice little late comers there too, will keep you busy.

My Pimenta Da Neyde is starting to find it's groove in the channel.

2z6tlpk.jpg

Gotta love the grow season!

Happy Chilli Growing
Micca

Calm before the storm...

ilqcW7i.jpg

zq2IBot.jpg

Supercell just south of me.

z3uvI5w.jpg

What a week of wild storms it has been!

And in the garden, interesting F1 hybrid. Awesome colours.

97SntLK.jpg

Temporarily glogging here until I start a new one.... ;)

EDIT:

C. annuum x C. chacoense is in fact C. annuum x C. chinense.

Nice looking hybrid there Gas.
I love watching storms as long as they leave my chilli alone.

Hey Sarge I'm unfortunately pretty hopeless with info on fertilising/feeding dosages.
I grow in pots and find they don't all use water at the same time(some use up more water when fruiting/ then small vs big pot etc)The hardest thing I face is trying to remember which ones of those hundred odd pots I just gave ferts to!
The only thing i follow is i give them a feed of something like seasol pretty regulary(weak when young then full strength when older).
Ferts I tend to only give at the beginning to get them established and during the grow part(start off very weak solution).
I don't really fertilize much at all during fruiting. I do give them epsom salts for flower drop.
Ferts have lots of nitrogen so gives big plants and nice green foliage but tend to see less flowering/fruiting.
But like I said this is only what i do, i'm sure there are many opinions and approaches to this.

micca

I'm not expert on ferts, but the rule seems to be to harve or quarter the recommended quantity on the packet. It is better to under do it than over do it. Normally I use ferts once a month, in the hot weather I was thinking of using it every 2 weeks. I use Nitrosol, Seasol, and some eco-aminogro. Worm farming is a really good idea. Worm castings are meant to work like magic.  I also use eco-neem to help keep the pests away when my plants are young, especially aphids. Neem isn't a chemical so it is pretty safe, I'm pretty sure Gas drinks the stuff with all the pests he gets. :P  He needs one of those airplanes to spray his crops. I've got a sweet growing, just starting to get fruit on it now, its just a nursery job, started my season late this year, was too lazy to grow one from seed. Got lots of tomatoes on the way, should be good not eating those tasteless supermarket tomatoes. Good news is that my aji lemon has survived, :pray:  it almost died, was about to give up on it too.

Sarge said:

Cheers dude, I'm hoping I get some pods this season. My outdoor plants aren't looking too happy at the moment! Still diagnosing.

Can't find the big bags of the Debco organic mix. Only in small bags. I also don't think Bunnings stock debco products. I found it at a small nursery near my place they wanted $22 f'ing dollars for a 25kg bag.

Do you use the worm castings by mixing with your compost or do you make a tea out of it? I'm gonna build a worm hut cafe thing since I think 85 for 3 tier buckets is an absolute rip off. Kmart has black stackable containers which are $9 each I could easily make something out of.

SeeYouJimmy said:
They do, I always buy the organic mix from Bunnings. From memory last time was around $13 for a 25 litre bag. Masters didn't have any but a member of staff told me they would be stocking Debco soon. This was 3 months ago now.

gasificada said:
Ha! I do tend to waffle on a bit, don't I? Even I myself sometimes wonder WTH I'm talking about after I have posted something. :lol:

Here in Brissy, Masters stock Debco products, Bunnings doesn't (the range at Bunnings is painful). Wow, Sarge, $22 for 25L is insane! The price I was paying a few months ago was $13 for 25L. IIRC, a few years back, it was around $11 for 30L. But I dunno... $13 isn't really too bad considering the quality. I would not pay $22, though. That's just :crazy:

Is there a lot of work involved in the worm farm, Micca? I've been thinking about getting one going for some time now. I would also like to start doing my own composting.

Went down to Masters last night.
Picked up 25lt bags of Debco Organic Mix for $11.98 each :shocked:
That was the normal price too. I think the price might have dropped because i'm sure I paid $13.50 from there before.
At that price it beats the hell out of anything else there!
I noticed too they do a seed raising mix.........mmmmm might have to look at that for next season.

Micca

Found this little friendly guy outside on a weed. Moved him over to my mint, only to discover 4 more little ones over there.

Also, a heap of whiteflies behind him out of focus...
995888_10152060034647812_1503980393_n.jpg

Found this little friendly guy outside on a weed. Moved him over to my mint, only to discover 4 more little ones over there.

Also, a heap of whiteflies behind him out of focus...
995888_10152060034647812_1503980393_n.jpg

At Bunnings today there was a ladybug on one of the brown habs and I thought "bonus!"

It was the least healthy looking one, probably more ladybug food on it.

Interesting colour transition:

7sI0JlD.jpg

I claimed this plant to be C. annuum x C. chacoense earlier but I was mistaken. Something went wrong somewhere. This has to be C. annuum x C. chinense "Scarlet Lantern". I guess that will teach me to isolate.

I grew scarlet lanterns last season and it definitely looks the part.  They are real perdy lookin pods.  I had a few plants, one had pods in the shade and they stayed cream colour.  The sun obviously gives them the scarletness.

gasificada said:
Interesting colour transition:

7sI0JlD.jpg

I claimed this plant to be C. annuum x C. chacoense earlier but I was mistaken. Something went wrong somewhere. This has to be C. annuum x C. chinense "Scarlet Lantern". I guess that will teach me to isolate.

looks like you are getting into the purples this year mate :cool:
Definately the Scarlet Lantern adds some nice colour to that Cross.
Mmmmm maybe there should be more crosses using scarlet lantern, my imagination runs wild................
Might end up with a purple Trin Scorp :shocked:

Micca

Howdy everyone, been a long time between drinks. Very busy with work, promoted to manager, but still just enough time to grow peppers.

Along with the Bhut Jolokia x Asian Birdseye I have growing from last season, I may have found a new accidental cross within the garden beds. I let a whole heap of Asian Birdseye pods from last year drop and germinate in the garden bed they were in, and noticed one of the plants had flowers that were way too big for a typical Asian Birdseye. So I checked them out this morning, and they certainly look Jalapeno-ish.

IMG_20131214_182746.jpg
IMG_20131214_182715.jpg

This entire garden bed pretty much had 100% Asian Birdseye in it last year, the Jalapenos were 2 garden beds away. Will be interesting to see what the heat is like.

I've got some cool jalapeño crosses going on too :) I posted in the how are your peppers doing in perth forum... Ill post some picks soon when the pods ripen... I think I have
Jalapeño X Hungarian black
Jalapeño X Bangalore torpedo
Jalpeno X bhut jolokia
Jalapeño X Hungarian black but with different attributes.......

Back