• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Mega and Nova just checking in .... any signs of the now increasingly mythical and mysterious Hot Cherry sprouts???

Nova how is that chocolate Variety of the cherry going??

No sign of the mythical hot cherry yet. As for the choc cherry it's still growing however is experiencing leaf curl (upward).
Gets exactly the same treatment as the other 20 odd seedlings so i'm not worried, either it figures it out or dies :hell: not going to give it special treatment.
On a plus side with this flu i have lost about 4 kg but would really love to have my appetite back.

i'm gonna f***n scream and go on a rampage! Looks like the bacterial disease has got to my seedlings, only time will tell how many. I don't know where the hell it ccame from, i bleached everything well i thought. Not happy. sleep deprivation and whinging kids dont help my mood.
Lucky i have a nursery growing my other plants that will be for sale.

Mega and Nova just checking in .... any signs of the now increasingly mythical and mysterious Hot Cherry sprouts???

Nova how is that chocolate Variety of the cherry going??

I dropped mine as well as tray with a bunch of other chilli seeds and they all got mixed up :( I dumped it all in a pot outside and put it under a table hoping to maybe get a few mystery volunteers but...... my 2 year old has decided to play with his little trowel and its all been tipped out and messed about!

No Hot Cherry for me. It was the last of my seed stock and its officially 0% germination. I really think they were a dud lot. My rates last season when I used most of the seeds were pretty low, but I'm soaking this time and they are much better.

edit. I keep my more prized pots in a secure section of the yard so he can't destroy everything.

i'm gonna f***n scream and go on a rampage! Looks like the bacterial disease has got to my seedlings, only time will tell how many. I don't know where the hell it ccame from, i bleached everything well i thought. Not happy. sleep deprivation and whinging kids dont help my mood.

Candice that sucks big time! I used to work with puppies and we had a bad virus come through. Had to bleach everything and throw a lot of stuff out just to make sure, including our own shoes and clothes. It could be carried on a tiny speck. Nothing worse than an infection you can't see.

Ohhh nooo. That sucks candice. I wonder where the friggin spores/bacteria is hiding. Its not coming from a neighbours or another plant around is it? What about the watering containers/Germination chamber itself?? I am sure you have thought about all those things so feel free to yell at me and tell me to piss off.

I dropped mine as well as tray with a bunch of other chilli seeds and they all got mixed up :( I dumped it all in a pot outside and put it under a table hoping to maybe get a few mystery volunteers but...... my 2 year old has decided to play with his little trowel and its all been tipped out and messed about!

No Hot Cherry for me. It was the last of my seed stock and its officially 0% germination. I really think they were a dud lot. My rates last season when I used most of the seeds were pretty low, but I'm soaking this time and they are much better.

edit. I keep my more prized pots in a secure section of the yard so he can't destroy everything.

Yeah I must admit I don't hold out much hope for mine either ... but you never know ... I know one thing when/if one does come up it will be pampered and nurtured and isolated and I will send out seed to everybody :rofl:

Candice that sucks big time! I used to work with puppies and we had a bad virus come through. Had to bleach everything and throw a lot of stuff out just to make sure, including our own shoes and clothes. It could be carried on a tiny speck. Nothing worse than an infection you can't see.
yeah so time consuming and a waste of money. i hope the puppies were ok!

Ohhh nooo. That sucks candice. I wonder where the friggin spores/bacteria is hiding. Its not coming from a neighbours or another plant around is it? What about the watering containers/Germination chamber itself?? I am sure you have thought about all those things so feel free to yell at me and tell me to piss off.
No I welcome suggestions! My head is all over the place atm so its easy to miss somthing.
Well i still have a few seedlings in the germ kit from where these others came and they have them starting too so i dont think its from the same system. yep bleached absolutely everything including ph & ec meters. The only thing i can think of is perhaps i didnt soak the chamber long enough, i cant remember how long i did it for but everything else was done 24hrs+ and i think that maybe only 1hr? now the other seedlings from that are in the hothouse and have been using the recirculating water on my other seedlings. A lot i dont have seed for anymore and were some hard to get ones. :(

Wow that sucks, very sorry to hear that wildfire.
I know you put a lot of time into growing, and it's your business too, not just for personal use.
I guess you have limited time now too with the kid and newborn.
Sorry to hear it and I hope you can bounce back from this.

Thanks Pablo, i appreciate your comments. Yes i spend all my spare time on it and my business.It is just soul crushing to have all this happen and all because I got one bad batch of seed off someone.

It took me over 3 hours the other day just undoing all the systems and bleaching and putting back together then It takes me like a day just to treat and plant 50 seeds, cos I could only do so much until I was needed. I only had 3 hours of broken sleep last night(1hr was the longest period) and my newborn has only slept for 45mins today and seems to be in a lot of pain so it is hard to get things done as I can't put him down much and i still have to get housework done. So yeah its hard.

Hopefully I can get around to doing a new batch but it is really getting late now and not much seed left :( Now was the time to prove that it's all worthwhile and that I could do this as full time work and not work for someone else.
I don't want to give up but I'm thinking i should just skip this season, it has really gotten off to a terrible start, twice now...

Thanks Pablo, i appreciate your comments. Yes i spend all my spare time on it and my business.It is just soul crushing to have all this happen and all because I got one bad batch of seed off someone.

It took me over 3 hours the other day just undoing all the systems and bleaching and putting back together then It takes me like a day just to treat and plant 50 seeds, cos I could only do so much until I was needed. I only had 3 hours of broken sleep last night(1hr was the longest period) and my newborn has only slept for 45mins today and seems to be in a lot of pain so it is hard to get things done as I can't put him down much and i still have to get housework done. So yeah its hard.

Hopefully I can get around to doing a new batch but it is really getting late now and not much seed left :( Now was the time to prove that it's all worthwhile and that I could do this as full time work and not work for someone else.
I don't want to give up but I'm thinking i should just skip this season, it has really gotten off to a terrible start, twice now...

Did you get the seed off a seed vendor or from a private source?? So you obviously know what seed/plant it originally came from then?

Did you get the seed off a seed vendor or from a private source?? So you obviously know what seed/plant it originally came from then?
a seed vendor. I emailed them to ask (not accuse) if they had had the same problem (as what i think it is and what others have also thought comes from a seed borne disease.) but with no answer. i can only assume now that they did have it as I would have expected a response whether they denied it or admitted. I have never not responded to any email I have gotten and would especially respond to something like that. I will not name who it is as it is unethical and unprofessional to do so but this is why I will treat every seed I get now because of the problems it has caused.

Sorry for my whinging. I probably shouldn't even be talking about all the problems I've had on here as it probably makes me look incompetent, but I'm a very honest person and it makes me feel a bit better that I can share it with other chilli lovers that can imagine what it's like. I enjoy growing and it is fun and lots of people think there is nothing to it but it just goes to show what problems can arise especially when you start to do it on a larger scale. Just to let everyone know, I would never sell seeds or plants that are diseased just to make a buck. I would rather loose money than my reputation.

I realise there is two days of posts missing but I'll jump in here!

I hope you can get this resolved Candice, how did you go with your research regarding a non-destructive fix..?

where did the posts go? I've had trouble logging into THP today...
yep ground hog day.
Haven't decided what to do yet been busy making my Incinerator sauce that has been out of stock since March - pure capsaicin and 7 Pots! (checkout my fb page if interested).
With the smaller unaffected ones i will let them grow a bit and see if they get it. When i get a chance i'll enquire if a copper spray will fix or just prevent. if its the latter (which i think) then in the bin :(
Also asap I will sow a new lot

I'm sure I posted something in the last two days but it and my memory have gone now :(

Hope you find a solution Candice. Bleach the #%^ out of everything and get those seeds in. :)

I couldn't help myself and just ordered a few more seeds that I really have no room for. :oops: They will be a late start but we have a long season so what the hell.

By any chance would Hydrogen Peroxide be any help? It solved my fungus gnat problem and they use it in hydro setups as I'm sure you know.
I went to a rural supply shop today looking for some cheap H2O2 in bulk and got blank stares, `we're all out`, `don't know when we will have more` and promises of a call back when the other guy got back which never came. Idiots. So I then stopped by a Hydro store and found that the same company that makes chilli focus sells a bottle of 50% H2O2 way cheaper than the supermarket.

edit: One variety of the seeds I ordered were Hot Cherry. ;) I'm not giving up on this one yet.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23910-server-issue/

+1 on the memory loss, but alas.. there was a server issue and subsequently 2 days of posts, PMs, etc were lost it seems.

On a plus side with this flu i have lost about 4 kg but would really love to have my appetite back.
HAHA! lol thats funny! hope you feel better Nova.

a seed vendor. I emailed them to ask (not accuse) if they had had the same problem (as what i think it is and what others have also thought comes from a seed borne disease.) but with no answer. i can only assume now that they did have it as I would have expected a response whether they denied it or admitted. I have never not responded to any email I have gotten and would especially respond to something like that. I will not name who it is as it is unethical and unprofessional to do so but this is why I will treat every seed I get now because of the problems it has caused.

Sorry for my whinging. I probably shouldn't even be talking about all the problems I've had on here as it probably makes me look incompetent, but I'm a very honest person and it makes me feel a bit better that I can share it with other chilli lovers that can imagine what it's like. I enjoy growing and it is fun and lots of people think there is nothing to it but it just goes to show what problems can arise especially when you start to do it on a larger scale. Just to let everyone know, I would never sell seeds or plants that are diseased just to make a buck. I would rather loose money than my reputation.
Candice, I think its great that your honest! Its the only way we can solve these kinds of issues in the horticulture scene. You sound like you have a decent business growing and you have at least half a head on your shoulders when it comes to plant biology :) I will contribute this tidbit of info to chew on...I have NEVER had ANY plant that was 100% free of sign of disease. Whether it is early on or later down the season. Im sure you are aware of this but, I'll say it anyway..."Bacterial/fungal spores are EVERYWHERE NATURALLY". It is the conditions in which the plants are subject to, that inhibits or prohibits the colonization of those diseases. I don't believe in the "seed causing problems" theory, persay, however I DO believe that with ANY seed there are probably a MILLION spores laying dormant and waiting for the right conditions to wreak havoc on your greenhouse, germ chamber, etc etc...In my 18 years growing all types of plants, I have found that it is all dependent on conditions. If I were you, I would use a heavy sulphur based spray prob 4-6 oz of a 10% solution per gallon of fresh clean water, put it in a pump sprayer and spray EVERYTHING in your bat cave! :) I mean really douse it down, let it get into the soil, undersides of leaves, all branches, outside of pots, floor...everything. The great thing about sulhpur is that it is organic. It will bring the surface ph of everything to a value that will not only kill any disease currently present, but will also inhibit the future colonization of disease. It will not smell great for a day or two in there but, I PROMISE you will be disease free. Some years, I have fungal/bacterial issues that seem very stubborn. I get nearly 100% leaf drop when it hits, and it is VERY frustrating, so I feel your pain. Sulphur has never once let me down and I swear by it. You will never get your old foliage back, but after applications I always gain 100% recovery and things start branching out and going crazy again. Also, I like to add a little pyrethrins into the mix for pests. Aphids carry disease and affect plant health big time, as Im sure you are aware of, so this will help out a lot. If you don't feel like making your own spray, Bonnide makes a GREAT solution if your in a jam for time. Its called "fruit nut and orchard spray"...its about 20bucks at your home depot and will last all year at least. Humor me and try this out. Give it a week or two and let me know your results please! :) Good luck! :)

edit: while copper has been used with success, sulphur works 100% better for me. A combo would be ideal, less copper though... :)

What's home depot?

I kid because I know what it is, but that's not down here in Oz.
Neither is wall mart, or Miracle grow, hoffmans, fox farm etc etc.
About the only product we have in common to the USA down here is jiffys.
Besides that, there is nothing in common; different (edit: worse) shops, products, brands, and prices.

What's home depot?

I kid because I know what it is, but that's not down here in Oz.
Neither is wall mart, or Miracle grow, hoffmans, fox farm etc etc.
About the only product we have in common to the USA down here is jiffys.
Besides that, there is nothing in common; different (edit: worse) shops, products, brands, and prices.

HA! lol My apologies. Honestly, I hate home depot...they are the devil as far as gardening is concerned. Any horticulture shop, hydro shop, nursery etc should have the product im talking about or something just like it. You can also order sulphur and pyrethrins offline @ an infinite amount of sites. :)

Back